One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I have wanted this one since the first teasers. And I must say it didn't let me down. This figure is amazing. Even better than I had originally hoped. OK that's just me, but you can add your impressions after you read this. This is my impression after all. Most of our favorite retailers have this now. Got mine from Liceor-WarToys(ebay seller) in NY. I have bought from John before and plan to again.

Lets start with the base fig. Great sculpt (looks kinda like Mark Wahlberg with the beardie). Paint could be better, but overall not bad. Body is similar to BBI G3.5, just like the ACU Gunner. No suprises there. Two sets of hands, the hard oversized sausage fingers, and the nice bendy painted hands(careful with these, again, they are painted and have the wrists stuck in place, and the pins will snap if forced). Looks great so far.

Clothes; Tan cargo pants are a new cut and have lots of pockets, big knee and butt reinforcements. The pockets all work as do the flaps for them. OD nylon belt with a nifty looking buckle. Another OD green utility belt. Fleece sweater with a zip down collar and some black piping(never seen that in 1/6 before)and a new fabric to boot. This sweater is too cool. Fabric Tan Nomex gloves, with the microprint inside. Then there is that big wooly jacket. It is huge, wooly, has a nice faux velour-ish/sheepskin-ish liner, and an elastic waist. It also has a very strong chemical odour to it, so it is going to be washed ASAP to get the smell out. Another cool piece. And a cool brown wool masoud hat very similar to the BBI Brennan offering. And the boots are lace-ups like the ACU Gunner fig as well. And a new sunglass style as well. Black and white shemaugh. Nice set of duds if you ask me. A lot of new stuff.

Tools of the Trade; More sweet stuff here. The M4! That just rocks! I'll come back to it. The OD tactical vest. Don't know the make, but it looks like a new offering to me. Almost like the ACE Wasatch, but not. Coyote brown medical type pouch and a ordinairy utility pouch. A coyote brown fanny pack like HT and TS offerings. A blurry map, and some satellite photos(never seen photos offered before). Coyote brown holster(not as good as the ACE SAS Mk5 one and the only piece I will change). A Baretta that has been well weathered, almost too weathered. It could be a dirty chrome one. Looks Like BBI with the hard hammer(might change that too). Light tan Bullet Resistant vest, made for movement, similar in cut to the TS OD CIA vest. A nice beefy analog chronograph(like this guy would have an ordinary watch). 2 glo sticks in red. A real cool Coyote Brown single sling pack with multiple pockets and a hydro straw (no pouch) to boot.

Back to that M4 we have been drooling about. Yes it is THAT GOOD! The charging handle works, and the bolt looks the best of all the options, just needs some metallic drybrushing. The dust cover works. The drilled out railed heat shield looks awesome. Lightly weathered. 4 black rail covers (oddly not weathered or painted, is this operator new in this theatre?). Lightly weathered ACOG scope, AN/PEQ2 laser, and Surefire tac light. The Surefire has a peg to mount it, and the foregrip, laser, and ACOG all slide onto the rails like they should(thanks HP hadn't got that far yet, mine have some molding flash that needs to be trimmed off to slide the goodies on). The grip looks like it might be changable in the future for an aftermarket model(Tangodown, or other grip....). Front sling swivel moves. OD sling. OD taped mag and foregrip, but oddly no tape on the rest of the mags...hmmmm. 2 small pins look like they can be presed out and have the upper and lower receivers separated, but I am not going to try. The forward bolt assist is ROUND!!!!(the little button looking thingy aft of the ejector port, for those who don't know what it is), unlike every other manufacturers offering. The stock has detents for the different stock positions, and uses a Bushmaster brand type stock. It can be disassembled for a field strip almost completely, and this is handy, because it is not only accurate, but to slide the accessories onto the rifle you have to remove/move some of the parts to get them to slide on properly. This thing looks INCREDIBLE! It is only a hint bigger than DML and BBI models, and smaller than the HT. Now for the only down side. It is fragile. Definately not a plaything. OK how many of us care about the charging handle actually working, but it is a nice feature. And considering the rest of this AR, this thing could be displayed by itself, forget the fig. No don't.

The only things I don't like? So-so holster, and Beretta. And the paint apps to the sculpt, but SS is fairly new, so they have time to pull up their socks there and it's really not that bad anyway. No knife, no radio (thinks he's a tough guy), no mag light, no multi-tool, no nvg, no camera...OK, I am just nit picking, those are all bits I can and will add from the spares box. The holster/pistol thing is all I personally could find wrong with this figure. And the smell on the wooly coat....yuck. That's it.

This is a fantastic offering from Soldier Story and the reg version won't disappoint either, if most of the set is the same. It is comprised of mostly NEW stuff, and cool bits that have been popular from other sets. Good posable body, that most like or are knowledgable of. And or course that top notch M4. Worth every penny paid for this one. I highly recommend this fig. But that is just my opinion....you decide for your self.

Pictures of regular release gear on page 2.

Attachments

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Nothing speaks praise like enthusiasm. I'm looking forward to seeing him as photo'd by a member, always an eye-opener.

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
The thing you fail to mention about the M4 and the part I love the most, is that all the accessories actually have to slide onto the rails here. No peg and holes here. Or glue for that matter. They actually fit onto the rails like they are meant to. Very cool. I love this figure as well. Well worth the fundage.

·
Salaryman Gen
407 Posts
Great review! I have the m4 and you can take out the lower and upper receiver, but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know what your doing. Their is only one small pin and I think it's melted on. I managed to take it out with a hammer and a needle. The stock can be switched out with a Hot toys m4 stock with no cutting, or glue, but the holding pin under the soldier story stock can be broken if your not careful.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Added pics here too. I like to add pics. Especially when the maker only gives us the nice glossy perfect sales promo pics. In this case it looks even better in pieces, and adds up to a great package. :banana

The M4 looks great with all the stuff added to it, but because of the extra weight up front, the handguard/barrel bends down at the upper receiver joint. The bits that slide over the rails are quite snug, but a firm pressure gets them on. Don't be too rough with them though, it's still not as strong as other brands. Nice rifle still though.

Broadshore, the vest fits nicely. Just a word of advice though to all those who want to adjust the straps on the vest. Don't undo the shoulder straps. Just loosen them on the top first and pull the strap through the buckle underneath to tighten them. If you undo them it takes a while to re-thread it back through the buckle properly again without the strap fraying. :(

Just curious as to why SS would paint the bendy hands if you are just going to cover them with the Nomex gloves. The microprint on the gloves is a nice feature. And if the bendy hands are to be uncovered why didn't they fill those holes?

Does anybody know what kind of belt that OD green one is? The one with lots of velcro and a buckle too (over kill?).

The feet are funny shaped, but they get covered by the boots so no big deal there.

Added my pics of the completed fig, but left off the shaggy coat (hides everything under it). All the spare bits like the extra hands, belt, all went into the go-bag to stuff it, then got shouldered. Added some bits too.

Attachments

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Great review wooly, and thanks for the pictures. The pieces all look really great, I want one now, thanks a lot man. >:[

I was hoping it wouldn't be, and feared it would be pretty fragile, but I suppose this M4 would still be nice for dios and whatnot.

·
super hot outside
4,362 Posts
I have this one too and I concur to what everything cdn_rhino had stated. Didn't know the wrist peg was glued still to the hand, I broke it immediately when trying to pose it.

Some more nit picking:
- The feet are horribly shaped. Don't know why SS can't make it look normal (like HT's version). Are feet shapes patented? ACE's nude body isn't using a normal looking feet too, though they're better shaped than SS.

- The collar of the sweater on mine was not sewn right. I couldn't move the zipper up to a perfect close. It's probably intentionally designed like that but that make the unnatural neck post show up.

- The sweater is very tight fitting. It's made of flexible material which I like very much but the SS torso is slim and the pants are a bit on the baggy side so the figure will look strange without the fleece overcoat. I fear that the regular version won't look very good without some mod on the body.

Forgot to add: Thanks for the review and pics cdn_rhino! It sure helps me on the wrist peg thingy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is the first 1/6 military figure I've bought in a long time and the first modern one. I'm not at all disappointed. I agree that the posed hands are a bit odd. The color and finish doesn't match the head and there is no flexibility in the hands at all. Unfortunately, I broke the pin in one of the flexihands but that didn't bother me too much since I wasn't crazy about the holes in the top of the hands and I didn't have any luck getting the gloves onto the hands. I've added the gloved hands from a Sideshow Endor Trooper.

I added a mag light, added a knife and sheath to the holster and added a climbing rope hanging from the pack along with a couple of carabiners. I plan replace the tactical vest with a tan Omega vest. The vest that comes with the figure is fine, but I just want to have another option. I also want to get a camera once vendors start parting out the HT CIA guy.

·
Unabashed 5.11 Junky
3,866 Posts
Thanks, I had just finished kicking myself for not picking this figure up. Now I have to start all over again...

·
Banned
4,284 Posts
A couple of things that caught my eye... I would have preffered AK instead of M4. I would guess that a guy who operates inside of the enemy terretory, would prefer to use weapon that he can easily find ammo for. Map is printed in Russian language for one reason or another... I also would have liked GPS and a couple of other small items added, but overall, this is a great figure.

Cheers,

Alexei

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If anybody has the regular version, feel free to add the pics here. I think the only differences are the sweater being green, tan camo M4, and a coyote brown tac vest.

Pivot, if you want to check mine out send me a PM and you can check it out in person. You know you waaaaaaaaaant it.

Matt random, I have to agree about those bendy hands. Forgot to mention those molding holes. Why bother putting a cool paint job on them if they don't fill the holes. I might just have to dig up some of those cool Oakley gloves.

doly, didn't have any problems with the sweater on mine, too bad about yours because it is one of my favorites in the set. I will definately be looking for some more loose ones. I think there was some kind of cure for the frozen wrist pin under the ACU Gunner heading. Warm water to loosen it?

MX22, I agree with the subject. A super spook like that would most likely have an AK. And the lack of weathering, but that can be added. Easier to paint the fig than to un-paint one. Little goodies would have been cool too, but considering SS went big on the new/popular pieces on this fig I think I can live with that. I think he's going to get all the HT DEVGRU V2 spares and that one is going into storage (that one almost completely turned me off HT, save for the accessories).

Aside from the little things, I haven't heard anyone who doesn't like this one. No Negatives? That says something to me (someone holding their tongue, or everyone is impressed, which is it?)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts