One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cyber-Bully
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I first saw this guy in previews a year or two ago, I knew I had to get him. He was a very unique subject, a Cold War era Chinese trooper, and my collection would not be complete without this guy. So here we are in the present, with this guy released, and I can tell you that he's quite a figure. Is he worth the 80+, however? We'll decide that!

Body: Soldier Story's body is the G3 type body that we've seen in their other figures. I myself do not like the body much due to it's exaggerated proportions, but this one seems to work really well for some reason. The headsculpt is well done and painted, and the hands are of the soft type. The joints feel stiff enough to hold poses, but loose enough to utilize them as you see fit. All in all, this is better than I had expected from the G3 style body. Finally, the headsculpt looks convincingly asian.

Uniform: I have no idea of the uniform of Chinese soldiers within this era, so I cannot comment on the accuracy of the uniform. However, it seems to be a thick, cold weather style uniform. The tailoring on them is very well done, with the hook at the collar of the uniform jacket to close the collar, and a number of snaps closes it. Detailing on the uniform are brown buttons, each with a little engraving of a 5 point star on them. At the collar are red tabs with 2 gold stars on them. At the bottom of the trousers, there are snaps that open up the bottom, probably as air ventilation of what not. This figure is wearing short boots, which are "real" material and look very well made. At first glance this guy's uniform would seem rather thick and limiting for poses, but in reality it's not, much to my surprise. The uniform is indeed thick, but the material it was made out of is very soft and subsequently does not limit the pose ability, as it "squishes" itself around the joints, for the lack of a better description.

Other Uniform Parts: Other uniform parts include a Chinese fur cap of the Russian style, and a pair of cold weather gloves. The hat is well done and is functional, although I haven't tried it myself, and it has a Chinese red star badge on it. A belt is also included of a khaki color, with a silver buckle with a star engraved on it. The gloves look fine, although once again I cannot comment on the accuracy of them. They are attached together via a ribbon strap that is permanently attached, and the strap is very long. They seem to be a bit awkward if worn, so I tied a knot into the strap to shorten the length, so they don't hang down to his legs when wearing them over his neck. Not much else to comment here as they finish off the uniform. Well done parts.

Accessories: This guy comes with a number of accessories, and to start, here is the list:
1x Wood and metal shovel
1x tied bed roll/tent/blanket?
1x metal canteen and carrer
1x breadbag
1x 4 cell grenade carrier
1x Chicom Chest rig
3x spare plastic Type-56 magazines
4x plastic grenades

The plastic accessories are crisp and well molded. When I first saw this guy on the shelf, and saw the magazines, I could not tell which magazine was the plastic ones and which were metal, thus is the level of detailing and painting on them. The magazines and the Type-56 are well painted, with silver all over representing the wear on the paint. The grenade carrier is very well done, the best I've seen, and it has a cover over the handles that is held shut by a little plastic dollie, much like the real deal. Same with the Chicom chest rig, as it is detailed much like the Toy Soldier one. One thing to note about the chest rig, is that the AK magazines actually fit into it without trouble. All of the Chicom chest rigs I've gotten, always had trouble with getting the magazines to actually fit in, but in this case it was a cinch. Soldier Story got it definitely right here when all others had failed to do so.

The canteen is well molded as well, and it isn't very heavy at all, and it is actually functional with a real cork stopper. The E-tool likewise is well made, and aside from light weathering, there is nothing much to say here. Likewise, the breadbag is very reminiscent of WWII German ones, but instead of a belt attachment it has a shoulder strap. Not much to report. Finally, there is that tied square tent/blanket/bedding thing. Instead of having a dedicated set of shoulder straps, there is a strap that runs through the tied mass that you simply slip over the guy's shoulders.

Weapon/s: Finally the part most have been waiting for. The Type-56 is all wood and metal as Soldier Story previewed for us. It is VERY well done and well detailed, and looks like the real deal. Surprisingly, it is actually pretty light, unlike many DiD wood and metal weapons which leaned on the heavy side. This fig has no trouble at all posing with the rifle! The safety on it is functional, the rear sight flips up, the bayonet can be displayed in any position and locked in those positions, and the charging lever works. The magazine is metal, and actually has a spring inside, to allow you to put in the 8x 7.62mm rounds they provided, although I had trouble getting in more than two. The sling is a green ribbon type with "leather" attachments on the rifle itself. I heard this thing goes for about 40 USD on ebay, and I don't blame them. It is a work of art and is as close to the real thing as you can get in 1/6th.

Conclusions: First off, I have to say I cheated. Monkey Depot lists this guy for around 85 bucks, but I got him for a cool 58 bucks with no S&H. Just Be Toys in Downtown Portland, OR has two more of this guy, after I got one of the original 3 they had, so if you're in the area snatch them up quick!

With that aside, I have to definitely say that this guy is worth it's price. the combination of very well done cloth stuff, metal and wood stuff, and plastic stuff, makes it a VERY attractive figure to have. Everything on it just plain looks excellent, even down to the little stars engraved into the buttons. Is it worth the purchase price...? I'd say yes. If the Type-56 is truly going for the prices it is online, then you're essentially getting the rest of the figure for ~45 USD, which I think is very reasonable. This guy is an excellent figure to get if you're into Cold War Chinese, and hell, I think that if you've gotten Soldier Story's WWII Chinese troops, this guy is an excellent companion to them.

Photos: Just so this review isn't totally boring, here are the photos I've taken. I'll try to take more so show you more detail.

·
Cyber-Bully
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Currently Monkey Depot and Viking Playground carries this guy. You can try there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts