One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SoCal Navy SEAL Posthumously Gets Medal Of Honor
SAN DIEGO (AP) ― An elite Navy SEAL from Garden Grove, who threw himself on top of a grenade in Iraq to save his comrades, will be posthumously awarded the nation's highest military tribute, the Medal of Honor.

The family of Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael Monsoor will receive the medal on his behalf during an April 8 White House ceremony. Monsoor is the fifth person to receive the honor since the beginning of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. He was 25.

The Navy says Monsoor was part of a sniper security team in Ramadi with three other SEALs and eight Iraqi soldiers. A Seal says an insurgent fighter threw the grenade which struck Monsoor in the chest before falling in front of him. Monsoor then threw himself on the grenade.

Two SEALs next to Monsoor were injured; another who was 10 feet to 15 feet from the blast was unhurt. The four had been working with Iraqi soldiers providing sniper security while U.S. and Iraqi forces conducted missions in the area.

Monsoor was a platoon machine gunner.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Anyone out there know where I can find the pic of Monsoor in the PCU? I saw it during the Medal Ceremony where it is a photo of him kneeling in the snow and looking up at the camera smiling. I have a budy who went to BUDS and he and I were looking at the PCU HT figure and I had told him that I had actually seen a SEAL in the PCU with other polar gear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.