One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
Get this...2 days before the release I pop in my copy of "Predator" to watch, and out of nowhere it says, "unplayable disc".

I knew what was up. I've been through this before.

Sure enough, I pop in my trusty copy of Rainbow Six Vegas 2------"unplayable disc".

So here I sit---a brand new, special edition copy of GTA IV for 360 (I already had it reserved)....and no 360 to play it on. I told Microsoft's customer service guy they need to start handing out "loaner consoles" like a car dealership would.

At my age though, you learn to take your lumps and take them good....:smoking

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get this...2 days before the release I pop in my copy of "Predator" to watch, and out of nowhere it says, "unplayable disc".

I knew what was up. I've been through this before.

Sure enough, I pop in my trusty copy of Rainbow Six Vegas 2------"unplayable disc".

So here I sit---a brand new, special edition copy of GTA IV for 360 (I already had it reserved)....and no 360 to play it on. I told Microsoft's customer service guy they need to start handing out "loaner consoles" like a car dealership would.

At my age though, you learn to take your lumps and take them good....:smoking
That is pretty unfortunate. My 360 is in the hands of the repair center as we speak, so I'm SOL too.

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Picked up mine today for the 360. Only played it for about an hour-- but it seems like the same great GTA we all love-- but with KILLER graphics!!!

The cars handle a little bit more realistic and take some getting used to.

And, there are SO many things that you can do that it takes some times to remeber what all the buttons do-- and how they work in all the different "modes" (driving, fighting, talking on the cell phone, etc.)

But, I think I'm going to have A LOT of fun with this one. Which is good, because I think I was about to wear out my COD4 disk. And, I still haven't even tried the new Halo 3 muli-player maps I bought, yet!

·
Action Fuger!
3,186 Posts
It appears my 360 is also dead--or dying. No "Red Ring," though. From what I can tell this is "coma console." Is the three year warranty extension just for the "Red Ring of Death?" Gonna have to look that up....

·
Da revolution is here!
1,979 Posts
I wanna pick it up pretty bad...Not sure when I'll be able to thouugh.

I think my 360 may be dying as well...I've gotten the undreable disc crap on a few different games...And there's a constant loud fan blowing in it.

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
Not getting it. Not my bag o' beans.

MX22, you better not be playing this game when you should be packing my Applessed figs, grenade launcher and gloves!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Played the first GTA - fun with the cheat codes.

All these break downs of 360s has me curious. I've had mine for about 1.5 years and I've had no issues what so ever. Those of you that are having problems - how much do you play?

·
Registered
46 Posts

All these break downs of 360s has me curious. I've had mine for about 1.5 years and I've had no issues what so ever. Those of you that are having problems - how much do you play?
Thing is, I got my first 360 on launch day, that one crapped out pretty quickly, so the replacement for it was a very early version as well. I actually had issues with the replacement from moment 1 (disc drive issues and random freezing) but never bothered sending it back because I didn't want to be boxless for another month. So now that one is off to the shop. Hopefully I'll get a replacement with a newer chip set. As for how much I play, it comes in waves but sometimes I'll be running it 8 hours at a time for weeks on end.

·
Black Helo Squad
292 Posts
It appears my 360 is also dead--or dying. No "Red Ring," though. From what I can tell this is "coma console." Is the three year warranty extension just for the "Red Ring of Death?" Gonna have to look that up....
The extension is red lights only. Same thing happened to me, I'm on my 3rd 360 and I was able to talk the CSR into getting my console repaired. Otherwise I'd be out $175 :wideyes

Anyways, my copy of GTA should be here tomorrow. I got to play it last night at a buddies house.

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts

Mine's on quite a lot---although it is supposed to be a multi-media machine. Since my HD Cables are running through it, I watch DVDs on it all of the time. I asked the tech support guy if "off the record" watching too many DVDs was hard on the console (I've heard a lot of nerd jabber about this) and he said absolutely not...but what can you believe?

Looks like I didn't miss out on too much though. Just ran across this news story:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190136.html

·
Registered
189 Posts
Haha. Funny this turned more into a 'dying 360' thread than a GTA IV thread. I wasn't planning to get it, but I might now, after hearing many good things about it. Almost too many good things. Circuit City has a $10 certificate if you buy GTA IV there. I sure can use that $10 for a Dualshock 3 controller.

·
Action Fuger!
3,186 Posts
The extension is red lights only. Same thing happened to me, I'm on my 3rd 360 and I was able to talk the CSR into getting my console repaired. Otherwise I'd be out $175 :wideyes

Anyways, my copy of GTA should be here tomorrow. I got to play it last night at a buddies house.
Well, I was trying some troubleshooting steps, and just got the RRoD. At least I'm covered by the warranty now.

Anyway...it will be awhile before I get GTA IV.... :evil

·
Banned
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I rarely play mine and then, maybe 2-3 hours at most at once... Also, mine is not that old, I bought it last fall and it's the black Elite - I think I read somewhere these are newer systems and should not be all that prone to breaking.

Back to the topic, I just put 2 hours into the game. Just as someone above said, it feels just like the good old GTA, but with better graphics. Did a couple of missions, dated some girl and got some quality time from her lol.

Alexei

·
Registered
46 Posts
Received an average critics rating of 9.9 with a perfect 10 coming from GameSpot. (1 of only 5 games in the last decade to receive a 10) I was on the fence, leaning toward not getting it, but I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Seems that this is one of those rare games which must be played by everyone who has a machine capable of running it, regardless of genre preferences.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Thanks for the info guys - sounds pretty random, or at least it's not the hours on the box that makes this happen.

My buds have been blowing up my e-mail jabbering about GTA IV. We have a big Halo 3 lan party planed for Saturday night so I'm sure I'll get more then an eye full GTA IV.

·
Da revolution is here!
1,979 Posts
For a while I didn't play mine all that much, except the occaisonal revisit of COD2...Then when I got COD4 I got back into but still only 2-3 hours at a time. After that I began having issues with demo disks which weren't readable, and crap like that. But as soon as I got Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 the fan thing started...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts