One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Proactive Procrastinator
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We (several so cal lads) had, over the past two years, toyed with the idea of a North Africa shoot since there have been some good DAK releases and with the Italians we have a fair amount of options. Well the time has come. The date is not firm yet, but it will be in mid-late September.

I did some scouting yesterday with Laughing Gravy. I checked the two last places that were on my list. The first was Fort MacArthur in Long Beach. I was not as happy with this location (for a North Africa theme) as I am with the second location. There is a wash near the 15 and 215 interchange next to an overflow parking lot of the Hyundai Pavillion on the Glen Helen Parkway. I will set a date for mid to late September. That should give us plenty of time to get ready. I won't be able to do anything before summer, then AWOH in late June, and the next EBT BBQ which is usually in late July to mid August. Date and time to be posted. There are still some logistics that need to be worked out as well.

For all you WWII guys the theme is Tunisia. It's a rocky location and suits Tunisia quite well.

But don't let accuracy spoil a good time. We can be as flexible as possible to allow for maximum involvement and fun.

If you don't do WWII NA, but do Modern or Tatooine Star Wars, it also works for that two. Don't do that but do Indiana Jones or US Western, it works for that as well. The idea is to get as many out as are willing to be seen in public with their man dollies, set the stuff up, take a ton a of pictures, post them on the boards, let the collectors in other parts of the 1/6th universe enjoy them, get to meet and hang with other local locos, and have fun the whole while.

Stay tuned....more details to come.

Detail Check List:

Date: Mid-Late September 08
Where: a wash near the 15 and 215 interchange next to an overflow parking lot of the Hyundai Pavillion on the Glen Helen Parkway.
What: A Desert Photo Shoot
Who: WWII Tunisia is welcome
Afghanistan is welcome
Iraq is welcome
Tatooine is welcome
US Western is welcome
Indiana Jones is welcome
Any desert theme and time is welcome

More to come, stay tuned, get excited, get your figures and stuff ready and show the hell up!
Photos coming soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I feel a little slighted that I wasn't invited to come out and play!:wail:rolling:rolling That looks like a great location. Just tell me about a month in advance so I can update my Italian Army.
Not to worry, buddy. This was hard, backbreaking work. ;)

We had to find just the right place, pardnah. Took some driving around and scouting for access and proper lay. All-told, time on-site with figs was less than a half hour out of maybe just over two in the area.

You all can bet your sweet bippies that I'm bringing me some Cowboys and ******. There are some exceptional mini-Apache Passes just a few yards from these photos.

There are also some sheer "cliffs" (5 to 6 feet high) that seemed to have been created for some perfect Indiana Jones shots.

I was instantly struck by a certain area where the past waters had undercut some rocks to make amazing caves/overhangs in 1/6. Great for Afghanistan.

·
Proactive Procrastinator
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel a little slighted that I wasn't invited to come out and play!:wail:rolling:rolling That looks like a great location. Just tell me about a month in advance so I can update my Italian Army.
You know CC we would never leave you out of the real fun - which is yet to happen. But be ready for mid to late September '08 with a firm date coming around the time of weekend of heros.

More to come....

·
Proactive Procrastinator
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 DAK troopers are on the look out while all is quiet..... Rumors are running around that the British will be coming from the East....

But upon a closer look.... these guys should look to their appearance....

These two had just fallen over just before trying to take these shots and in my haste I didn't make some necessary adjustments. Note one looks lopsided and the other like he's sleeping standing up.

More to come......

·
Registered
936 Posts
It's a good desert localitation but I can warning you the colour of ground you need is some more browm , that sand it's grey-white . I don't wnat disturbe you it's only information , if you are looking for site for diorama , the color of ground in notthern africa it's brown light .... Excusse .
But , a lot of time it's impossible make all 100% real .
Good luck and goods pics!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.