One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
"Load clear!"
206 Posts
The military channel has been playing the Wings of the Luftwaffe series during the week so this was a well timed bash for me. Curious, would the figure represent a pilot or crew member or maybe a bomber/transport crew or fighter? To that, was there much of a difference in gear between the types of crews?

·
"Load clear!"
206 Posts
The figure represents a typical spring to fall single-seater fighter pilot in the 1944 timeframe. The two-pice flight suit was called "Kanalenhosen" (not sure about the spelling) and felt top flight boots. The helmet is the mesh type with oxygen mask and throat mic attached. The parachute is the seat-pack style used in most all their single seaters. Bomber crewmen usually wore the summer (light) or winter (heavy) flight coveralls with a parachute harness over it. Their parachutes were clip-on packs that were stowed inside the aircraft until needed. That gave them more room to move around the aircraft interior (very similar to US bomber harnesses and parachute packs). He also carries the flare pistol and a simple leather officer's belt with PPK sidearm in a small holster. And, of coarse, the obligitory Mae West vest. The map is a reduced topography map from the Pas de Calais area, so I guess he could be spring into summertime Me-109 or Fw 190 pilot in the French theatre. Hope that helps some.
Much appreciated!

·
"Load clear!"
206 Posts
Much appreciated guys....and thanks for the welcome back. I've been diving headlong into 1/18th scale aircraft for awhile. Its fun, but nothing like the 1/6th world. The Cayuse was brought home from display and lies disassembled on the bench for a few added details. I'm trying to prep the bird and crew for the Texas GI Joe Show here in Arlington, Texas on 15/16 March. Just thought I'd throw it on the table of custom vehicles again. So...while I was staring at it wondering what to do first, I had all the Luftwaffe parts and a couple of nudes waiting...just threw it together in about an hour. Now I think the bug has bitten again. I came across a company called Dynamic Models a few months ago that does custom applications for lights and sounds on models. Some remarkable work, but they are very slow to respond to emails. A computer chip and sound board can be embedded that provides coordinated lights and sounds...so I thought it would be fantastic to have the Cayuse crank and shut down with lights and sounds. However, to embed all the wires and boards, I'd have to crack the shell and I don't think I have enough time before the show. I do, however, have time for a few improvements and to build a new pair of skids for a friend interested in converting another 21C Littlebird to OH-6A specs. The skids will prevent the model from splaying the gear and squatting on the deck. If anyone is interested, I can post a link to the tutorial....the upgrade is fairly easy to do and solves the "splayed skids" problem for good. Mine has been setting on the gear for a couple of years and has not sank one milimeter. In the meantime....Party On Dudes!!! and I'll catch you guys more often here.
FW...I'd like to see anything you have on the Cayuse conversions that you are willing to share!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.