One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of the skeleton figures. It is awesome. I also saw the figure of Death with a Red Robe. The problem I see is that a Red Robed skeleton is called a boatmon. Not a reaper. What we all know as a grim reaper is a skeleton wearing a Black Robe. Who takes a dead person from this world. to the next. Where the boatsman awaits. The Grim Reaper is wearing a black Robe.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi A.o.D,

I have the 'death' in the red robe and yes I agree with you however the red one was from the 'mask of the red death' an old Roger Corman horror film of 1964 based on an E.A Poe story staring Vincent Price.

The 'red Death' demon was supposed to symbolise the spectre of the plague stalking the known world in medieval / renaissance times.

I remember seeing this quite a few years ago and in its day it wasn't bad but then i'm not really fan of horror movies , I'd be the girl waiting at the top of the stairs with the knife to stab Jason with !

How are you getting on with your 'bones' I was a bit disappointed in the movement of some of the joints.

·
Lurker Extraordinaire
324 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that since this is all stuff of mythology and legend, there is probably plenty of room for interpretation. In fact, there are countless interpretations of the grim reaper, and not all of them are skeletons or wear black- I've seen versions in brown, gray or even dark blue as well.
May I ask where you're getting all this about "boatmon" though? I haven't been able to find any references to that name, and if you're talking about the boatman from Greek mythology who carried the departed across Styx and Acheron (his name was Charon, FYI), he most definitely wasn't always portrayed as wearing red robes or as being a skeleton- most of the time he was described as an old man, though Dante made him sound like a demon & Michelangelo's version kind of looked like a troll. But again, being mythology, everyone who described him had their own version of what he looked like & wore.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,891 Posts
IMHO . . . and not that it means anything . . .

Any 1:6 skeleton to me is basically an interpretation/symbol of DEATH in varying nuances. DEATH pretty much means death and being dead. It's like trying to refine different levels of being dead.

DEAD or DEADER or DEADEST?

I don't see any 1:6 female skeletons or skeleton-ish interpretations of DEATH asides from LA MUERTA and LADY DEATH from PHICEN/TBLeague that I can remember.

·
Registered
490 Posts
At the risk of hijacking the thread as has been said the 'death' character has many incarnations for instance in Celtic mythology she is female .

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
687 Posts
I bought one of the skeleton figures. It is awesome. I also saw the figure of Death with a Red Robe. The problem I see is that a Red Robed skeleton is called a boatmon. Not a reaper. What we all know as a grim reaper is a skeleton wearing a Black Robe. Who takes a dead person from this world. to the next. Where the boatsman awaits. The Grim Reaper is wearing a black Robe.
Charon, the ferryman, comes from Greek mythology. He carried the dead over the river Styx to Hades and was commonly depicted in a tunic of red or red-brown. It is only in modern pop culture that he is depicted as a skeleton. At the time he was depicted as a rough-looking sailor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts