One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
High Speed Recon Mech
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Box of this figure says 2002 Blue Corner, with a business addy here in Cincy, but I have never seen nor heard of this figure or this company until I bought this figure yesterday from a secondary market source. Checking online has produced no other info, save for another 1/6 scale Talking Pope!!

Photos are not the best, but I'm in a hurry, and these pretty much show it all. Quality appears good, figure is well made, in a short stature and with a slight "fat body" type build.

The PTE figure is among the tallest of figures in the 1/6 world, even taller than a SS John Wayne, but still shorter than a DC Direct Joker figure, so I hope that gives you all a better feel for the contrast in size of this figure compared to others. The only downside I have found so far, is the that the socks have added a few orange stains to the skin of his shins, most of it rubs out, but not all. You can see the "modesty panel" they included under his garment, and the articulation appears to be of the single joint style, but it looks and feels strong with what little testing I have done, shy of pulling him out of the packaging completely.

It's a shame more figure like this aren't made, or at least are not well known to be out there to many 1/6 collectors, as many would have real uses for them. Now I could see having a TT Papal Guard. Nuns, Priests, Rabbis, many "served" in or out of official military uniform.

This particular Pope is listed as being born in Poland 1920, and when war game to Poland, formed a secret theatrical group of patriots, and wrote poetry and plays. That may seem trivial at first glance, but often the Nazis would crush anything they deemed not "worthy" of the Reich, or would encourage any national pride of those now under their control.

Any way, here he is, feedback would be helpful if anyone knows anything else about this figure, the series it may have come from, or the company that made or contracted these to be made.

·
Registered
484 Posts
They used to sell the Pope Figure (as well as the Talking Presidents) at Newbury Comics. I bought one for a good friend's 30th Birthday (she's a Catholic Youth Minister) back in 2005. It was the toast of the Party! She actually had to stop her coworkers from coming into her office and playing with him!

·
High Speed Recon Mech
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To put things into perspective, it is a fairly accurate depiction of a real person, who happened to be a Pope, as opposed to a fictional or "generic" depiction of a "pope". This is one of the reasons I finally chose to buy the figure, after I passed on it at least 4 times as I looked around at other choices.

I admit I also did choose to buy the figure for the "fun" factors that it presents.

I have been working on some "promo" videos, based on a running joke I started at the last "public service" event that was held at a church I help doing computer tech work this week, and as I worked on making the "joke" into video, pieces just started to "fall into place", like finding this figure. It was cheap enough in price to consider, though it isn't on my "holy grail" list of 1/6 items. It was when I read the box, that I found the historical data made me happier I decided to go ahead and buy it.

I am Judeo-Christian, not Catholic, but a large part of my extended family is, complete with one Uncle who served as a Priest till the day he died in the mission field ( he was bowling with some friends, and died of a heart attack as he threw his last strike ), and yes, even amongst "us", we would comment on what we thought was "odd" in practice, more to the point, ritual.

I say the above, to say I know the church doesn't view the Pope as "God", but as his top shepherd and spokesman, and while they do believe that when he speaks "ex cathedra" he is "infallible", as a "man" he is not impeccable, still "sins", hence is not God. So while I among others find the "kissing of the ring" a bit off, it is in done in respect of the "Office" of Pope, the "Power over him", and perhaps lastly to the man himself.

In any event, I think I'm going to have fun with this figure, and not let myself bog down in ultra fine details. As a last observation, this figure doesn't come with any rings, nor does it have any on the hands as it comes from the manufacturer, so there will be no kissing of anything in my displays, but I might show some mighty fine "whacking of the evil doers" with the fine staff he comes with. Think Monty Python's "It's the Bishop!!" series they included in one episode years ago. LOL!!!!

·
High Speed Recon Mech
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Now don't you all worry one second, as my Pope is going to be in plenty of "action" soon.

Fact is, he's a cookin' up sumthing special right now.

:angel2

:angel2

:eek:wn

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
I think i should go to our Toys R Us again, maybe i find something 1:6 scale worth taking home. Been a while, but you're right there are some hidden "gems" that are worth taking home for the unusual parts they come with, the only stuff i can remember were the Ozzy Ozzbourne Figures and the Kick-o-Rama soccer players. I did get some of the Ozzy Figures since they were like 4$ a piece, but the Soccer Players were still retail for like 40$, which didn't seem worth it to me. I can't repaint heads and the only thing i could use would probably have been the jerseys, so, nope.

·
Super Moderator
6,784 Posts
As it's been pointed out by others there is a "no religion" rule here at OSW, so please keep the discussion to the figure and not religion. Any further discussion of religion with will result in the offender being banned from OSW.

·
High Speed Recon Mech
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm sorry if I started a hot button issue with the report on this figure, and for the record, I'm not offended, even if people did stray a it off the path and comment about the "side issues" that swirl around a figure like this. I figure it just explains why they might not like want to purchase a figure like this, the same kind of thing that may happen about a Nazi figure, or a horror figure, terrorist, what have you.

I love the Warrior Pope bash, off the hook good work. The minute I saw this figure, I wish I bought at least one of the TT Papal Swiss Guards back in the day, as it is a truly "off the beaten path" display choice.

I sealed the item back in the box, but the more I think about what I can do with it, serious and fun, I think I'm going to have to free him to a life of active duty. I will add more to the report, once I pull him loose, so more people have more useful data on it to work from.

I do wish companies would make more figures, quality figures, of this type of subject matter, even if they just made if you will, "uniform" sets of stuff to use on a figure of your choice, as well as full figure sets of "real historical" people.

Chaplains seem to be a mostly ignored topic, and its sad, as many made history too. Example, these 4 Chaplains that went down with the ship ...

http://history4everyone.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/wwii-chaplains-honored/

http://www.google.com/search?source...+chaplains+die+on+ship+as+it+goes+down+in+WW2

War is horrible, one of the worst things man has to face, or starts. Sorry to say, yes many very bad things have been done in the name of religion, same can be said for in the name of "fun" too. But a lot of very good things have been done by men and women of faith, and in some ways, they give meaning ( IMHO ), to those that fight and die for freedom, liberty, and justice, often for others who can't fight on their own. They are part of history, sure as those that cause the worst of human history, and I hope more of a place is given to them in representation in this hobby, so they aren't forgotten either, and perhaps encourage others to see they too can make a diference, even if without a gun in their hand.

·
High Speed Recon Mech
732 Posts
[edit]

Figures like this one are always a little on the "edgy" side, as in reality, you can't completely divorce the historical or real world components from the item prime.

I'm looking at it as a fun piece, with lots of potential for those that just wish to bash for parts, looking for an unusual body type, use for a historical display, the list goes on. I have already used it for my more "serious but in a fun way purpose", and look forward for using it in more projects later.

For those that have not picked up on it, this is NOT a current manufacture item, as best as I can tell, as it is listed as being 2002, and I only found this "mint in box" set in a secondary market place, even at that in a booth of items that I would not have expected to find it.

Go figure. :thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts