One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Latest Sixth Scale Photography Facebook group challenge was a movie poster re-created in 1/6 scale. These are the two submissions I did for the challenge, and you can catch the process of making them in my dedicated Flickr album. Can also click through any of the posters to get a full-size version.

For Your Eyes Only Poster by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

I had planned to try this poster when the challenge was announced, and the passing of Roger Moore pushed me to get it done sooner rather than later as my little tribute to him. "Moonraker" might have been the first movie I saw in the franchise, but "For Your Eyes Only" was the first Bond Movie I ever saw, and I think it's still one of the best in the Roger Moore era.

The story behind the poster can be read here, identifying the legs as belonging to model Joyce Bartle (though the hand holding the crossbow belonged to Nancy Stafford). Coincidentally, Ms. Bartle had to wear the swimsuit backwards during the shoot because it rode too low otherwise, and my Phicen model had to do the same to hide the seam that would be on the backside.

Contents: Phicen body sporting a ZY Toys crossbow, Super Duck heels, and a Sithlord MacGyver bikini bottom. I don't have a Roger Moore figure, so the DiD "MI-6 Agent Jack"/not-Daniel-Craig had to sub in. Shot the figures separately and composited them in Photoshop.

R.I.P. Sir Roger Moore.

"Red Sonja" Gender-Bend Movie Poster by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

Second submission is a gender-bent version of the 1982 "Conan the Barbarian" movie poster (best seen at the IMDb). I used the Phicen/TBLeague/Executive Replicas Red Sonja figure (with my custom headsculpt). Her companion is a Phicen/TBLeague M31 male body in a Kaustic Plastik outfit and a no-name headsculpt I like.

I would very much like to figure out how to apply some kind of paint-effect to the background flame layer, if anyone out there is a Photoshop Ninja.

The cast and crew of this movie are a bit of fun on my part. It is not an accident that white people are a distinct minority in the credits, and that the production is dominated by women. They're mostly people who have done work I like.

Strictly speaking, this is the second version of the poster that I did. The first had Michael Giacchino as the composer, but I removed him in favor of specifying the owners and creators of Red Sonja, giving the same credit to Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor Smith that DC and Marvel are tending to give to creators of even secondary characters these days.

And since I had Sonja set up and in my lightbox already, I did a few shots of her alone. I don't shoot her enough, though that's partially because I'm still aiming to do a custom improvement on her bikini and shoulder armor. This may even wait until the newer bodies come out, since I'd like to get her on one of the S23's with the slightly smaller breasts and the more musuclar legs. But we'll see...I like her headsculpt and if the skin tone doesn't match, she'll stay on the body she's on.

Red Sonja by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

Might tweak this one to see if I can get her to look like she's facing a sunrise or something.

Red Sonja by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

Took a bit before I realized that Conan (and thus Red Sonja) is holding his sword in his left hand rather than his right in the painting, so I inadvertently made her left-handed in these shots.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow! These are some awesome recreations, very accurate and true to the original.

Also love how your Red Sonja/Sheena face swap looks. IMHO, it looks way better than the original HS with all the make-up.

·
Registered
490 Posts
A novel idea I do like your Sonja (is her name actually spelled with a 'J' or is it an archaic I).
I think the problem with the 'sinister' sword hand is a common one, there are several shots I have seen and even caught myself doing it, where the hand swaps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts