One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I saw the pilot episode and liked it. They start in Iraq, but the real story takes place two years later in Africa. They show both sides of combat, the brotherhood, but also the family life. All I could think watching though is that I want one of those helmets with the 4-lens night vision for a figure, and the guns, and the Humvee, and... well, you know how this hobby goes. ;-)

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Lots of growling dialogue, cinematic restrictions on set size and range. Hollywood detonations, swooshy rockets. It's HIST channel, which means a cheese factor. Act of Valor set the bar too high for most other productions. The growling dialogue (did I mention that already) reminds me of the endless Seagal movies about all manner of SOF, piled up on streaming channels.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The Unit wasn't that bad from what I recall. I would really like seeing an Act of Valor inspired series with updated weaponry and uniforms, and surely some rich stories both on the operations and on the home front for the SEALs

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
The Unit wasn't that bad from what I recall.
Wasn't bad for tv and had a good run. There isn't exactly much in the way of programming to chose from on the subject matter, movie or tv. There are a few other shows in development, there are a few tv production companies that have been buying up gear over the last year. The one thing I would say about Six is it does seem to be covering some of the issues that have been breaking in recent new stories, even if it is mixed in with some hammy dialogue/acting. I'll take that over some Kardashians.

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
I'm digging it but I think that it's focusing a bit too much on the home front side of things. I want to see more action (combat, training, intelligence gathering, etc.) and less of a wife giving her husband a hand job at the doctor's office (I hear you WritinMan)! Also, the personal conflict between two of the team members is a bit too clichéd. We've seen that in too many movies and military themed TV shows. Other than that, I also fear that political correctness may eventually rear it's ugly head and ruin the show. Anyone remember the British show "Ultimate Force" (Yeah, I know it had it's flaws but I liked it and it did the non-operational, personal life parts properly!) and how they added a female member to the SAS team? I hope they don't add a female SEAL (or someone else that would be highly unlikely, IRL)) just for PC purposes. I don't have a problem with strong female characters (military or otherwise) and a female SEAL could and may someday happen but I would like to see it actually happen IRL before they decide to add one to the show just for "diversity" or to try and draw a larger female audience. I'm not saying that they will do something like that but I've seen way too many instances of just such things lately in movies and on TV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts