One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
7,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
With this kind of thing you sometimes have to pull back on what you show.
I agree. The displayed piece will be more "Zero Dark Thirty" than "Inglourious Basterds". I think the way they never really showed his face was actually pretty clever and I'd like to try the same approach. In the mean time, two more progress shots before I close out the night.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi folks, If this is a depiction of a real person can I chime in to the warnings, I know that the person might have an enemy or even considered a 'monster' but if this happened recently say in the last 30 years there may be still family members around who may be innocent or not however it could be considered as disrespectful.

I am not saying don't go ahead with it sounds an interesting project just be careful.

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
7,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
The progress depicted here will be done within reason and I will be consulting the mods about what the limits are to avoid the potential for offense. At most, I may just show the final, primed head sculpt.
The main subjects of the final piece will be three DEVGRU assaulters standing around the corpse. One will be examining it, one will be taking photographs with a digital camera for SSE and confirming the body's identity, and the last one will be donning a set of gloves to conduct tissue swabbing for DNA. If I shoot this set up right, this will resemble Zero Dark Thirty in how they treated the corpse, with the gore out of sight or barely on the periphery - something that would more or less earn a PG-13 rating.
I had the option of doing this with minimal effort - just a blood spatter and a body, but that doesn't mesh well with my detail oriented nature. On the opposite end, this won't be as gorey or horrific as I could've done - the book implies much heavier damage to the right side of his face and some of the photos I viewed to try to understand how to model the damage were disturbing and repulsive.
The goal here is to be factual and detailed, not empty a magazine into his face for its own sake like Eli Roth in Inglourious Basterds. If you're concerned about the level of gore or how offensive this project is, I be that you please consider three things:
1) Please view this piece in the context of the completed, finished diorama. For now, I appreciate any feedback in maintaining realism or 1:6 tradecraft, but any criticism of tastelessness I must ask you to save until you see the whole thing.
2) There have been several movies that have depicted Bin Laden's death quite violently, and in at least one instance, quite graphically.
3) In response to the indignity of creating a corpse, I want to point out the Osombie movie and Ozombie action figure (both depicted below). This will hopefully be more tasteful than either.

America has a strange fascination with Bin Laden's death. He was our Boogeyman for years and lurked unseen in the shadows. I will admit that I openly, loudly cheered when I read that he had died, and that people looked at me funny when I celebrated his demise. I saw 9/11 at a young age and it deeply affected me and my beliefs to the point of completely changing my world views. I don't know, maybe this is a sort of catharsis for me? Anyway, I hope this helps answer some of the concerns people have.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts