One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
OSW Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a simple bench I made from scrap maple. Only took about an hour or so, except dry time. I wanted to make a piece of furniture that would take as little time as possible. Only five pieces and the only detail is tapered legs. After making it, it seemed a little short. Apparently, I cut the legs wrong. I wanted it to be 3" high but this came out to be 2.75" I made a couple other benches and made them a bit higher.
Table Rectangle Wood Wood stain Floor
Joint Arm Shoulder Furniture Leg
finally, a place to sit!
Shoe Leg Dress Flash photography Knee

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nice work :3

What did you use for cutting the boards? I'm into woodworking also, but making full-scale furniture, but I've been thinking of trying to make chairs for my phicen figures. I have a miter box with a hand saw that I've used to cut 1/2" and 1/4" square dowels.

I know how it is having to cut things shorter than desired. I'm currently building a filing chest to put on the floor, and I needed to cut four 18" legs for it, and I goofed, so they're like 17 1/4" or something. It's aggravating, but oh well. haha

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
It looks quite good. Basic has a beauty to it.

·
OSW Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I used a table saw to cut the pieces. (can be a problem with small pieces) A band saw would be better, but mine is currently broken. The bench top was a 1" thick piece of maple about 2.25" wide. I sliced off about 3/16" from the board which scales to just over 1" If doing this with a table saw be very careful. I used a feather board to hold it against the fence and I only cut it halfway through. Then I flipped it to cut the rest of the way through. I also used a push board to keep hands away from blade. Safety is most important. (this step is skipped if you have 3/16" stock) The legs were cut with a miter at a small angle. One side was tapered a few degrees to make the legs look more elegant. The only problem with cutting the legs is that the pieces are small. So at the end of the cut I powered off the saw to help keep the pieces from flying. For a finish I just used one coat of spray polyurethane. Quick and worked great.
I want to make some chairs too. I was thinking, Frank Lloyd Wright Arts and Crafts style.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've worked with small pieces on table saws, and it can get a little leery. I've seen a Rockwell X2--something for sale on Amazon and places like Menards for about 89-100 bucks. It's basically an upside down jig saw with the blade sticking upward out of a small table. You can use a miter gauge on it.

Thanks for sharing your process! I looked up that style--I like the looks of some of the tables.

·
OSW Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A saw like that might work well with small pieces. I've never seen one. Maybe I'll take a look.

622 Posts
Nice wood work :D So good polished that first pic looks 1:1 :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts