One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
AKA Silent G
637 Posts
WOW...

The combined news of the upcoming feature film and Hasbro's reintroduction of the 'G.I. JOE VS. COBRA' characters with the 25th Anniversary line has added momentum to the G.I. JOE brand, and set the stage for Sideshow Collectibles. Sideshow's line of G.I. JOE 12-inch figures will offer highly detailed, mixed-medium versions of fan favorite heroic G.I. JOE and villainous Cobra characters. The figures are expected to release beginning in 3rd Quarter 2008, with retail prices starting at $79.99.

80 Bucks a pop... Hasbro must be raping them on licensing more that George Lucas... WTF... thats ridiculous. Knowing Sideshow's quaility, I would have paid the $40 pricetag, but that, 80 bucks... thats a freaking joke.

·
Dark Pokemon of the Sith
407 Posts
Notice it says "STARTING" at 80 bucks. I was even hoping for around 60, then I'd get 'em all. For this price point, they'll have to be awesome and I may still be more selective. But Sideshow has been steadily increasing prices with each figure (look at Star Wars line). They just dropped Gandalf for 90 bucks! They are quickly approaching Medicom's pricing tier as some of us suspected they would. I bet that armored Obi-Wan will be at least $100.

Until this announcement, I was starting to doubt Hasbro was gonna let 'em do it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hopefully the local Hastings (books/music/video) will get some of these in when they're released.That way I can wait until they sell them on clearance for half off or less cause there's no way I'm paying 80 bucks for one.

·
AKA Silent G
637 Posts
Yeah, Sideshow must think that since they work with Medicom and Hot Toys that their stuff rivals it (far from it) and that their stuff warrants the same price range... or the whole Medicom / HT deal with them has them at the wrong end of the stick and they need to recoup that by raping on their figures now...

·
Dark Pokemon of the Sith
407 Posts
For this price point, I expect them to develop a new body or at least use one fro m Hot Toys or Medicom. The Art Buck body is not worth paying $80 or more for. The Joes deserve better!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Agreed. $80 is a stretch. Would I pay $80 for a Flint with just a shotgun and little else? Probably not (though I remember thinking in the 80's about whether I should spend my allowance on the original Flint or some other figure with more accessories). Would a lot of us be willing to pay more than that for a detailed and tricked out Snake-Eyes or Storm Shadow? Probably yes. I'm disappointed at the price point, but I'm going to hope for the quality to be there for the figures I want.

G

·
yet again price points - oil prices are raised, therefore plastics and the production thereof are raised, therefore figure prices raised.

$80 is standard price for a figure in the UK anyhow. Will wait to see what these are like, but think they'll be worth it

·
blistering barnacles
600 Posts
$80 is standard price for a figure in the UK anyhow.
Sorry to pick on you but but I frequently see this sentiment - why do foreign collectors always bring this up? If the American price goes up, so will the British... it's not like there's some sort of tax on the American version that only Americans have to pay. If we were paying $40 and the British were paying $80, and if then the American price went to $80 wouldn't the British price go to $160?

·
AKA Silent G
637 Posts
People raise the pricepoint issue because with pricepoint should come value (again, emphasis on the "should") Sideshow's body sucks, they always have heads that are too big, their accys frequently suck (in comparison to other companies- I mean 21C has made better weapons) Their paint apps are usually utter crap... I mean every human being does not have a red wash to their skin and bloodshot eyes all the time, along the lines of their body, why does every male figure look to have the arthritic hands of a 70 y/o? Custumes are usually not great quality... I've seen better sewing with Power Team outfits... Need I go on...

So I think that price point is ALWAYS a valid point for the consumer to bring up...

Again, people will buy them, just like they buy the SW figures solely for being an SW fan, and instead of not buying them and making Sideshow raise the bar instead of their pricepoints, we become part of the problem with companies tossing crap our way. Just MHO

·
AKA Silent G
637 Posts
If Sideshow made a 1/4th Premium Format Statue, that might actually be worth something... but right now the way this is gonna play out is Sideshow knows that Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are going to be their biggest sellers, so expect to see them with at least a $100 pricetag... with the other characters coming in below that.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts