One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sticking with the SDCC exclusive theme this week, with a look at the Sideshow Star Wars Aayla Secura tonight. This is one of those figures that isn't exciting, but isn't terrible either. She is the first of the Jedi (other than old Ben of course) that I prefer in the Jedi robe rather than out, and she has one very serious eye problem, but in the end I was neither flim flammed or flabbergasted.

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_080608a.htm

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
With a different body I think she would look loads better, I haven't found any female bodies though that fit Sideshow female heads well at all. The necks are always way too short.

·
Good Enough Never Is
712 Posts
Nothing personal to Michael Crawford; I love your review site and check it out regularly, even for figures I already have, but I've said this so many times on this forum; big heads on 1/6 scale figures is a misperception. If you bother to look at real people in the real world instead of comic book proportioned super heroes, you will see that most people's heads look oversized, except for some of us fat-ass Americans. Look at the pics of Amy Allen below, and then tell me her figure has a disproportionate head...

Now add a twi'lek headpiece to that.

I don't think the nose and chin are too long either. I'm not saying this is the greatest figure ever, but I'm tired of fans of this hobby dogging new figures for stuff that isn't even wrong with it. Or I might just be in a bad mood today. Sorry.:bag

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I agree with a lot of what you said, but in the case of the SS female bodies (and the Buck body for that mater) the general shape of the body goes a long way to make the figure as a whole look disproportionate. In particular the SS body is very tall and thin with narrow shoulders spindly limbs and almost no waist. It look decent in heavy clothing but almost nude it looks like a skeleton.

·
Good Enough Never Is
712 Posts
Agreed back at you. The SS body's shoulder articualtion does add to the narrowing effect. In general, I hate 1/6 female bodies when the costume shows 'skin' cause the articulation joints ruin the overall visual appeal. I am very anxious to see how much better the Hot Angels body is. Still has joints though. I wish they could do rubber bodies like the muscles bodies, but without the muscles.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Agreed back at you. The SS body's shoulder articualtion does add to the narrowing effect. In general, I hate 1/6 female bodies when the costume shows 'skin' cause the articulation joints ruin the overall visual appeal. I am very anxious to see how much better the Hot Angels body is. Still has joints though. I wish they could do rubber bodies like the muscles bodies, but without the muscles.
I find the arms (if not the legs) pretty okay on the CG 2.0 body. I don't mind them being exposed at all. I did a lot of modification on the one SS female I have (Asajj). https://flic.kr/p/2455896218

·
Plastic Yank
2,333 Posts
I think the head is a touch small (I think because he used a CG head which are small) but that's a great custom.
It is perhaps a tad undersized, but I think the size of it relative to the shoulders comes off as being closer to the actual actress being portrayed than Sideshow's effort.

And yes, it really is a great custom. Wish I had the skill to create such things.

·
Good Enough Never Is
712 Posts
I have to admit, head size issues or not, that CG custom is a much better presentation than the Sideshow version. I like the skin pattern on the head, which I can and probably will add to mine later, and I love the shirt. Damn, that looks so much better. The body looks more flattering as well, but I'd probably put the Sideshow head on it.

I am a long time collector of SS movie licenses, but I really wish they would step it up more with each new figure like Hot Toys does. They are the most prolific (10 points for good word usage) in the game, yet use the cheapest materials and old crappy bodies.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.