One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Zombie Slayer 1st Class
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ebay lot that was won by a guy who lives in Italy. According to the USPS website, Italy has 130 items on the prohibited list, including "toys not made wholly from wood".

Does anyone here have experience sending stuff to Italy? Do they really prohibit toys from coming into the country like that? Is it a postal thing or does the restrictions apply to UPS also?

·
One Sixth Junkie
Modern Military mostly
6,341 Posts
Just list it as "used toys" and you shouldn't have any problems. You have to use the CN 22 form (customs form). Now with that said, IT TAKES A REALLY LONG TIME! Between 1 to 2 months! That is why most eBay stores say "EXCEPT ITALY" when it comes to shipping. I've been screwed by an Italian, had to give him back $300. Shouldn't of done it. He opted not to buy insurance. I know he got the items, because he doesn't respond to my email. Just beware, it takes 1 to 2 months!

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts
Yeah, it can take a long time. UPS and Fed Ex are so expensive to ship there, so the post office is really the only way to go. Just buy insurance and use the customs form as a kind of "tracking number." There is no tracking per se', but that will help a lot if something happens.

·
Likes little people
1,617 Posts
I only ship Global Express mail- it costs more but I never have a problem with PayPal claims because there is tracking

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Portugal is just as bad. It took almost four months for a package to get to a customer there. Then it cost him three times as much in tariffs just to get the package out of customs. The second time we sold something to that customer I sent as used toys and claimed it only cost five bucks.
Paul

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts
I've been told by some Italians that the best thing to claim is that it's a gift and it costs 25.00. That seems to be the magic number, so the Italian customer doesn't get reamed in Tariff charges.

But get insurance at the actual cost...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am an italian collector and have been buying/selling items for years now.

The Italian post system is slow and inefficient, and I am really ashamed of it. Nonetheless you may send your items here without particular worries. I would suggest to write GIFT on the package to prevent the customs officers from adding taxes on it and by declaring a low value (it's a doll after all, you may well declare it is worth 10 dollars!!). It takes 4 to 6 weeks for items sent from USA or HK to arrive here. Exceptionally it takes less, but it is unusual.

Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.