One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to one of the oldest and most trusted retailers in the business to buy some hard to find items.

Purchased 5 pairs of boots and a pair of loose feet - total price $30.

Shipping charge to me: $15!!!! That's 50% of the purchase price. And I'm 100% positive those items could be put in s small 2-3 Day Delivery USPS small box for less than $9.

Pretty outrageous if you ask me. I'm emailing the store to review these charges.

End of rant...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Since I am in the shipping questions mood......

If they are all "smalls" then I agree, first class in the USA will be about $3-$4 dollars
They may not all fit in a Priority small depending on how they are boxed so they may charge more. (Still should be around $9 even in a non-small box unless your location from them is part of it)

If there is a crazy difference no matter if I sell on eBay, combine shipments or any variation of that....I like to credit back once I print my labels.

I don't see a huge amount of fees being part of it being only a $30 dollar purchase.

SMcG
smcgcustoms.com

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
I realize that shipping costs have increased, but I, too, sometimes wonder why the lowest-priced available shipping for certain purchases ends up higher than one would expect. And in some cases, like yours, there really isn't an obvious good reason. If seller A can send to me two head sculpts and a bunch other accessories for less than $4 or $7, why should seller B charge $17 to ship the same sort of thing? I suppose it might have something to do with the size and capacity of the boxes they use, and seller might find it expedient to order these in a limited number of standard sizes, especially if it is the consumer that bears that cost.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,855 Posts
When one sells loose 1:6 parts for less than $50.00 and to cover oneself in the event of damage or loss during delivery one buys USPS Insurance for up to $50.00. The USPS Insurance costs $2.10 and does not include the cost of packaging and postage that varies on how the parts are packaged for shipping and what method of shipping the seller dictates or the buyer wants.

Postage/shipping prices have increased across the board for all carriers such as FedEx, UPS, and USPS. Generally speaking, I believe many buyers are getting anal right, wrong, and indifferent about how they want their items to be packed and shipped with insurance and tracking at the cheapest price possible without wanting to pay more for such services. I do agree some sellers will overcharge on shipping for a variety of reasons.

Do any of us even bother to let the sellers know their shipping charges are high or even question how/why the shipping charge comes out to that amount prior to agreeing to/confirming an order?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When one sells loose 1:6 parts for less than $50.00 and to cover oneself in the event of damage or loss during delivery one buys USPS Insurance for up to $50.00. The USPS Insurance costs $2.10 and does not include the cost of packaging and postage that varies on how the parts are packaged for shipping and what method of shipping the seller dictates or the buyer wants.

Postage/shipping prices have increased across the board for all carriers such as FedEx, UPS, and USPS.
Since I constantly buy and sell loose items I am keenly aware of the increased shipping costs. 2 years ago a USPS small 2-3 Day Priority Mail Flat Rate box used to be $5.25; it is now $8.15. However, when you think about it this remains the best and cheapest way to mail items in the US. And it includes $50 insurance which will cover most loose purchases, and tracking. Plus you don't pay for the box itself.

@SMcG: "I don't see a huge amount of fees being part of it being only a $30 dollar purchase." My point exactly: $15 shipping on a $30 purchase? I could have gotten 2 more pairs of boots for that...

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Well, with on-line buying becoming more and more in vogue, the shipping people are gonna get in on it too.....look for prices to rise even higher....why wouldn't they want to get on the gravy train too?

We are doing it to ourselves......but it doesn't feel as good as it's supposed to.....:lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
PitViper:
@SMcG: "I don't see a huge amount of fees being part of it being only a $30 dollar purchase." My point exactly: $15 shipping on a $30 purchase? I could have gotten 2 more pairs of boots for that...
I don't think so either...even with a credit card transaction it should be under a $2 fee easily.
If it is from a PayPal balance, the fee on this one will be insignificant to think about.

Every store has their own way for sure so it is easy and as fast as possible. I think it comes down to what the order generated in overall size of the box it think it needs to ship.
If you have 5 items that they have set at needing a 9x6x3 box each, then the order thinks it needs a huge box to ship them. At that point the weight doesn't matter.

Now you have an order thinking it is in a box that is over the 12" limit which means the USPS charges more(considered a large box).

Then if the store may be on the west coast and you are on the east coast (two farthest locations) then it can get crazy on price. If a box is going to Alaska, Hawaii or Guam from anywhere in the USA, watch out for the shipping.

PRIORITY USPS IS ALWAYS COVERED FOR UP TO $50 NO MATTER WHAT-If they use PayPal for labels or the Click and Ship method it will be covered. Anything above that is up to the buyer usually.
FIRST CLASS CAN BE INSURED IF YOU WANT-This is always up to the buyer.

If you are buying from an eBay seller...that is a whole other story and not worth discussing because there are so many grey areas to cover.
You can charge anything you want on shipping anymore with eBay but you will get hit on the fees later. Just be honest and keep your costs fair for the customer and reduce the transaction fees on your own pocket at the end.

Anyway you look at it, I think you should just contact the store first and go from there.

SMcG
smcgcustoms.com

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Could be something as simple as the wrong weight or dimensions entered into the system for one of the products. Depending on how the cart generates the rate request dimensions you can get funky things happening with dimensional weight, or they could simply be calculating an erroneous weight based on the incorrect setup. An email should clarify things.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
PRIORITY USPS IS ALWAYS COVERED FOR UP TO $50 NO MATTER WHAT-If they use PayPal for labels or the Click and Ship method it will be covered. Anything above that is up to the buyer usually.
FIRST CLASS CAN BE INSURED IF YOU WANT-This is always up to the buyer.
Insurance is ultimately always up to the retailer. A buyer never has to insure anything really based on how chargebacks work.

·
12,855 Posts
Insurance is ultimately always up to the retailer. A buyer never has to insure anything really based on how chargebacks work.
--

I don't know Adam. You have more experience on this.

If a buyer knowingly and willingly choose NOT to insure if an order is sent out without any kind of insurance in the event of damage or loss, then the buyer is still covered via charge back policies if using a credit card and/or debit card based on bank/purchase policies?

I believe I know of one vendor who state up front they are not responsible for damaged/lost orders if the buyer chooses a delivery method that does not include insurance/tracking?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Happened to me at toy anxiety once, I emailed them, reason was they fat-fingered the weight of one of the items in the shipping calculator so I got bumped out of first class package and into priority mail shipping, it was an easy fix. Probably a simple explanation...

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
--

I don't know Adam. You have more experience on this.

If a buyer knowingly and willingly choose NOT to insure if an order is sent out without any kind of insurance in the event of damage or loss, then the buyer is still covered via charge back policies if using a credit card and/or debit card based on bank/purchase policies?

I believe I know of one vendor who state up front they are not responsible for damaged/lost orders if the buyer chooses a delivery method that does not include insurance/tracking?
Yes. Many retailers state that but any merchant account provider, whether paypal or another payment processor is explicit in its terms that a merchant is responsible for having the product arrive as stated (ie new or with any disclaimed defect) to the customer. It is a basic tenant of any distance selling. Ebay and Paypal made their name cleverly re-marketing standard terms and conditions associated with the acceptance of credit card payments as "buyer protection" when in fact they do nothing more than any credit card/bank will do other than making the process easier for the consumer. Shipping damage or loss (with the caveat that if a buyer enters an incorrect/old address that is their issue so long as the shipment is tracked) and is always on the retailer. Retailers simply put that there to discourage customers from filing a chargeback, often as cover for shipping using untracked methods or when wanting to save money on packaging materials that have a higher likelihood of damaged items. That being said I'm sure most retailers recognize the value of repeat business from customers so despite what is stated they will take care of the customer.

·
12,855 Posts
Yes. Many retailers state that but any merchant account provider, whether paypal or another payment processor is explicit in its terms that a merchant is responsible for having the product arrive as stated (ie new or with any disclaimed defect) to the customer. It is a basic tenant of any distance selling. Ebay and Paypal made their name cleverly re-marketing standard terms and conditions associated with the acceptance of credit card payments as "buyer protection" when in fact they do nothing more than any credit card/bank will do other than making the process easier for the consumer. Shipping damage or loss (with the caveat that if a buyer enters an incorrect/old address that is their issue so long as the shipment is tracked) and is always on the retailer. Retailers simply put that there to discourage customers from filing a chargeback, often as cover for shipping using untracked methods or when wanting to save money on packaging materials that have a higher likelihood of damaged items. That being said I'm sure most retailers recognize the value of repeat business from customers so despite what is stated they will take care of the customer.
--

Interesting.

I do recollect how Roscoe from Monkey Depot chimed in a long time ago about how if a customer does not receive an order, etc. and after they do their due diligence, etc. they make sure the customer taken care of (i.e. replacement order or refund). I believe a few members of the OSW posted/replied as such regarding lost/non-receipt of orders/damaged items and how promptly MD addressed and took care of it from their end.

·
Registered
798 Posts
That's a bummer. Did you try to negotiate for combined shipping?
Most known 1:6 sites like Cotswold and War-Toys, as well as EBay sellers still provide that.

$15 won't be too bad if (IF) they send the package to Puerto Rico through USPS Priority Mail with tracking and insurance included.
$9 if they use the small Flat Rate box, which should be big enough for boots.

On a side note- as a seller 4 years ago I made the decision to just provide free shipping via Priority Mail- it's a win-win and it saved me from a lot pain.
Sure I made it worth my time by adding up the price of the items, but at least that's something the buyers are made aware of firsthand.
If they don't agree with the item price they're not obligated to buy it, it's their loss.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've definitely reconsidered purchasing because of shipping costs. Sellers need to know buyers count the shipping cost in the purchase decision, plus shipping costs are not refundable on returns in most cases.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
$15 won't be too bad if (IF) they send the package to Puerto Rico through USPS Priority Mail with tracking and insurance included.
$9 if they use the small Flat Rate box, which should be big enough for boots.
FYI, shipping rates to any Zip Code in Puerto Rico are exactly the same as they are for any of the other 50 states when you use USPS Priority Mail Flat-Rate boxes. Like the USPS commercial states, "if it fits it ships". I have had two nude figures bubble-wrapped and shipped to me in a small Priority Mail box arriving in perfect, undamaged state. You can fit a lot inside those little boxes, so it shouldn't be an issue when you're talking about 5 pairs of boots and two female feet. At $15 it would still be too much of a charge for the items I'm buying.

·
Registered
798 Posts
FYI, shipping rates to any Zip Code in Puerto Rico are exactly the same as they are for any of the other 50 states when you use USPS Priority Mail Flat-Rate boxes. Like the USPS commercial states, "if it fits it ships". I have had two nude figures bubble-wrapped and shipped to me in a small Priority Mail box arriving in perfect, undamaged state. You can fit a lot inside those little boxes, so it shouldn't be an issue when you're talking about 5 pairs of boots and two female feet. At $15 it would still be too much of a charge for the items I'm buying.
Well I'm fully aware of how the USPS works since I've been a seller too.
I've had packages sent to Hawaii or Alaska 'misplaced' or delivered late, which is why having tracking number provided is so important.
My point (poorly stated at that) is simply for that shipping cost I'd expect a large secure box with all items bubble-wrapped. Perhaps the seller applied the 'shipping and handling' part to the cost.
In your case a small flat rate box is enough and only costs $9 with tracking and insurance.

It would have been nice if they gave you a choice which shipping type you'd prefer, lots of them selles still give that option.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts