One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Havoc/Pavespawn,

I have a query w regards to US Special force personnel communication devices. i know that they do not use handmikes, but are what they are using similar to those use in BHD or Tears of the Sun? I want to make sure first before I go off buying them in bulk for the teams.

Thank you!

Eugene :)

·
Web Research Junkie
1,598 Posts
f282, While I am not involved w/ SOF in any form other than occassional support on the rare mission here in Kosovo, I have seen the SF here use the MBITR radio system for most missions as well as the PRC 117 and I have also seen them with the PSC 5 satcom. The MBITR comes with BBI Raptor but the other 2 have not been produced yet. Hope this helps till the big dogs reply

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
just a skidge OT, but...

OK, it's rampant admin power abuse, but congrats Nick Fury, 100 posts! I assume you've had a title change ready for some time.

Now back to "Com Talk with Pave and Havoc"...

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Very true, teams use the MBTR radio for inter-team communications. All SF teams also use the PSC-5 SATCOM radio as their standard long haul communications platform. A standard Army SF team will not have a PRC-117 though unless it is on loan from someone. There are those guy in the army who use them though and that's all I will say about that.
As for handset use, you might be surprised. A lot of 18Es will prefer the standard handset if the mission allows them to. They are much more durable and reliable than the headsets. Most teams though will use some sort of headset and you are right, it's not the Hollywood Bluetooth earpiece that will talk to Mars. The one eared boom mic types that come with guys like the Ht Toys CQB SEAL or in the Toy Soldier CCT Kit are very popular. They are often refered to as "Sucrets" like the lozenges. I have no idea why. Some teams though are moving to the PELTOR system. That is what I use and is very popular in the CCT world too. It comes on BBIs new Seal Team 8 guy. In fact, that guy has most of my equipment from my last trip to the sand so I HAVE to get him.

Hope this helps! Here is a pic of my helmet with the PELTOR.

Attachments

·
Web Research Junkie
1,598 Posts
Havoc, there is also another radio that I have seen the SF guys using in Kosovo and even got to play with it one day but I cant remember the name of it so help me out...... It is black slightly wider than the RT 1523 is Multiband and digital with a keypad on the face. Any ideas??? I got to know some of the last SF guys here fairly well but they all left about 1 1/2 months ago and we have not done any mission support with this new crew yet.

·
crazy dentist
3,224 Posts
hey havoc, this pic looks cool, impressive, you look like the new bbi seal team 8 dude. could you please post detail pics of the helmet. I want to scratch build the holding system of the night vision googles, I mean the band that fixes in anterior-posterior direction. what would be also cool is a list of all the different commos or a link where to see them. thank you for help. :thumb

:smoking

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Havoc and all of you for the very informative replies. I think i am a heck of alot clearer abt comms than I was before. Thanks guys!

Just some clarifications...

Most teams though will use some sort of headset and you are right, it's not the Hollywood Bluetooth earpiece that will talk to Mars.

Is this the supposed device in question produced by DML?

http://www.store.yahoo.com/opsgear/specearandth.html

Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Imagine me with my helmet on in this pic and tell me what it looks like. I never got a pic with me actually wearing my helmet. I think BBI owes me some money!

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Can you hear outside noise with that headset ie other team members?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Awesome pics Havoc. Q for ya, do you have AIM? If so, I'ld love to discuss some gear with ya, if not, maybe over PM or Email? Thanks man.

BTW, how are the Oakley goggles?

·
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
5,445 Posts
taskforce11 said:
Can you hear outside noise with that headset ie other team members?
I think Pavespawn already addressed the issue of hearing with that headset on in another thread, something about it blanking out gun noises but allowing you to hear whispers, etc. I don't remember which thread it was.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
The PELTOR system was originally designed as hearing protection. They have some sort of sound limiter in them that prevents high decibles from getting through. They contain buit in microphones that can pick up the slightest noise if they are set to full sensitivity. If there is a loud noise, they shut the mics off instantly and they are just hearing protection. They work great for helicopters because you can just plug right into the intercom system.
I have AIM. My username is havoctac

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Havoc, I guess since you work with Special Forces Operators, you don't wear rank?? I guess if you're AF and you have pockets on your sleeves, you can't put rank on your uniform??

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
On a day to day basis, I wear a regular uniform like any other AF guy. When we deploy, we wear whatever the team is wearing. Usually steriles with no name or rank. It just depends.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Peltors (or any other eletronic hearing protection) dampens sound over about 80 dB by 20 or more dB. I other words, sounds that are louder than about 80dB trip the sensor in the headphones and then "magically" reduce the noise by around 20dB, keeping it in a safer range that reduces the chances of hearing loss. Loud sounds (gunfire) that are not close by may not be loud enough for the electronic protection to kick in, therefore allowing the wearer to still hear where the noise is coming from.

Believe it or not (and I have tried this experiment myself) you can put on a set of Peltors, turn them on, close your eyes and have a buddy toss a paper clip ramdomly on a hard surface floor and you can tell where it lands.

In my experience, these systems are used more for urban areas or areas that may have other structure (adobe villages or caves). Basically anywhere loud noises have no where to go but bounce right back into your ears. Anyone who have fired weapons indoors or in enclosed spaces knows that regardless of hearing protection, several M4s going off at once will rattle your teeth! Most guys "double up" by using earplugs in addition to the headphones. Peltor make some inexpensive plugs that also reduce loud noises.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts