One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very fortunate to buy a Gilmore ordnance metal artillery limber, which I upgraded and posted previously:
19th Cent. (Old West, ACW, Colonial Wars) - Civil War...
Since I now have a number of Sideshow cannons, I was thinking how cool it would be to have another limber. Several members on the old Sixth brigade CW site - convoy357, FUBAR IV - had made one, and they, as well as WestBatman, were my inspirations. Here's a cool thread from convoy357:
Custom Civil War Limber (just finished) Lots-O-Pics!!

I had the plans, and it looked pretty simple (DOH!) The initial idea was a quick balsa limber for background shots. Then the idea of a caisson - which would require it's own limber - took hold. "Quick" and "simple" was soon forgotten.
Finding wheels was the major problem, and I still had a couple of decorative wheels from Hobby Lobby and found some composite wheels on eBay. Both took a lot of work to look halfway decent, plus adding hubs made from various wood shapes from Michael's & Joann's, and painting. Had to make a frame covered in plastic sheeting to spray them outside.

Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap Alloy wheel

Making the basic frames went well, except for parts that only showed the rectangular dimensions that weren't rectangles. It took a lot of researching photos to get them close, plus making implements that went with all three vehicles.
Blue Grass Wood Gas Electric blue

The wheels and frames were finished last year, but I stalled on making four limber chests. This year I bought a jig that allowed me to shape them as they were glued and nailed. The iron reinforcing plates and such were made from styrene with "screw heads" made with a punch and each one slotted. And I had to make a form to shape the handles from artists armature wire and sand a bevel into each lid, front and back. The main limber has a hinged lid, the others could be added later or posed open with wacky tack. The lids were painted copper color and covered with real copper Bare Metal Foil. The original lids were copper covered for fire prevention and to dissipate heat.
Wood Table Flooring Art Desk

Rectangle Material property Automotive exterior Eyewear Font

Font Bag Wood Pattern Design

Rectangle Wood Hardwood Bag Shipping box

Here is the new limber next to the old metal limber, which has a cannon attached. I don't know why the olive drab color came out so light in today's photos, but they really don't look lime green.
Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Tractor

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

I'll probably detail the interior of this limber chest this winter, including a Table of Fire on the inside of the lid.

Standby and I'll post the caisson pics later today. Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Each Civil War artillery field piece was towed by an artillery limber, which had an ammunition chest with the various types of ammunition for that type of gun - solid shot, shell (a hollow shell with small explosive charge, case shot (a shell filled with round ball projectiles) and canister (a tin can filled with large metal balls that acted like a huge shotgun shell), and the implements to fuse and fire the shells. In turn, each gun was also serviced by a caisson, which carried two chests, a spare wheel and spare parts and tools to service the gun. The caisson was towed by it's own limber, creating a four-wheeled vehicle that was pulled by a team of horses (generally six in the union army and four in the Confederate army.) When positioned for any duration, the horses were unhitched and brought to the rear. When the cannon's limber chest was depleted, the caisson's limber could be brought up to replace it. The limber was placed well behind the piece and the caisson was placed even further behind the limber to avoid a chain reaction should one of these components be hit by enemy fire.
For this project, I bought plans for the caisson and again used photos to clarify what the official descriptions left out. This is also primarily basswood, with aluminum sheeting used for some of the formed metal parts. For hidden parts, i simulated a bit, like the support for the spare wheel.

Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport

Plant Grass People in nature Groundcover Grass family
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Green Automotive tire

Here are a couple of pics showing the top of the caisson without the chests and the bottom, so you can see how tools and parts were carried. I forgot to list it in the second photo, but the long shaft that was carried under the caisson running from the hitch to the spare wheel up the center is a spare limber pole. I imagine these were damaged quite often

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Nature

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Plant Grass People in nature Vehicle

These next pics were a trial run to have some fun. The overhead view shows the approximate regulation spacing of the vehicles when the gun is in battery.

Plant Plant community People in nature Vertebrate Green

Plant Cloud Sky Blue People in nature

Jeans Trousers Plant Green People in nature

Jeans Wheel Plant Vertebrate People in nature

Well, thanks for looking. My first gun crew (Sideshow BoA veterans, all) and I hope to be back soon with some more CW artillery for you to enjoy.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Spyder, I hired professional models.
Actually, I fit a length of wire on one leg of each figure long enough to go into the ground. Maybe I’ll do a tutorial. In my spare time.😉

·
Registered
800 Posts
Very nice! It's too bad when you spend months building a hand crafted piece and no one seems to care,but dress up a doll and everyone goes nuts. For me the dolls are secondary to everything else I build.It must be nice to actually be able to find plans for something you want to build,I just eye ball it!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It must be nice to actually be able to find plans for something you want to build,I just eye ball it!
It is. And sometimes...it isn't. I have the reference for the harness for both Mexican War and Civil War and there are references for the battery wagon and field forge. NOT HAPPENING! (I think)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts