One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Space Monkey
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here's my "what I did" post for the Mitt Kerr figure I entered into the Sci-Fi Contest. It started out as a Sabertooth figure Kneejoint gave to me (thanks buddy) that was going to become the alien figure for a pair that I had planned. Long story short, life took over and I only had time to bash one. I wanted an ape/lizard-like alien that stood about 4' next to the human, but as I started to design it, something felt oddly familiar about it. After a good hard look I had a flashback to the Thundercats cartoon and realized I was building the character Slithe. After doing some research, I kinda went with it. I sculpted a rough sculpey head to get a feel for the overall figure. It was all designed on the fly, nothing really planned before hand. The pack was sculpted with a film canister and some Magicsculpt with odds and ends parts, a bottle top and plastic gear and lightsaber handle. I tried out a double jointed bionicle neck post to give the head as much mobility as possible. Then I just tried different things until it looked right. It went through some major transitions with armor, bags, shemagh, weapons, but I tried to stay with a less is more attitude and realized he would be a seasoned veteran who didn't carry much weaponry.

Attachments

·
Space Monkey
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some other random wip shots, custom ball jointed foot, custom armor and shoes.

Attachments

·
Space Monkey
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course he needed a food supply, and I had an old Jabba set from KayBee that was about 10 years old that worked perfectly with a little repaint. I just love the kid's expression!

·
In case of emergency....
1,997 Posts
That's a heck of a lot of work. Thanks for posting the WiP pics. He kind of reminded me of a Slann from the original Rogue Trader-era WH 40K.

·
Space Monkey
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The final touch was figuring out the head for weight and size. It's hand sculpted from Magicsculpt with Sculpey eyes and teeth.

Attachments

·
Space Monkey
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Final(?) pics. I feel like he could use a little something, but don't we all feel that way about our customs? Sorry if most of these pics were in the contest posting. Since taking these I've added more weathering to the pouches and components.

·
My friends call me Ray
7,847 Posts
Ross, finally everyone here has a chance to see how this figure was done. The effort is way beyond my imagination! Your design, work plan and execution are all professional. I'm glad that you showed the WIP pics. It is as interesting as seeing the final result. I learn a lot. Thanks for sharing!
One question: how did you do the armor?

·
Space Monkey
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One question: how did you do the armor?
The shoulder, knee and toe armor were vacuformed using simple unfired sculpey positives, the tail armor is from a Final Fantasy figure, the right arm gauntlet is from the Ultimate Jango Fett.
Mlatch221 -Thanks, I'll have to look into that figure, I don't know who it is.
kllysheros -Thanks, that means alot!
Thanks to everyone else for the kind words, this contest made me think outside my normal ideas and try things I've never done.

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Good stuff Ross:) I LOVE to see the inside pics, and to read about the ' making of ' details. Imaginative and resourceful. This is one of my all time favorite science fiction figures.

·
Space Monkey
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone!

heh wow That slime is electric.
After 10 years, I wasn't sure if the stuff was good any more, thankfully this stuff is like nuclear waste, still glowing strong! Took me back to my childhood too. My brother and I confused slime with a slinky when we were kids, and tried to make the slime crawl down the carpeted stairs, left a stain for years. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.