One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize I may be in the minority with my affinity for WW2 Italian figures, but here is another one.

By 1941 the cavalry were regarded as obsolete but they were to prove invaluable during the invasion of Russia. The Savoia had the honor of mounting one of the last cavalry charges of all time on 24 August 1942 near Tschebarevskij on the Don.

Appearance was very important to the Savoia cavalrymen. This major has shined his Sam Browne belt, holster and boots. A Savioa cavalrymen's sword was attached to his saddle, like his rifle.

BBI H/S repainted with the addition of a sculpey moustache. I made the tie from scraps of a black tee shirt and painted it red.

Thanks for looking and I hope you like him.

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
Great job, zebraten! The spit and polish on his boots says it all. If fans of Italian military are a minority then I'm in the minority too. Twisting Toys releases have been terrific, in fact I just got their first WWI offering of the Carabinieri today. Looking forward to more WWI Italian troops from Twisting Toys like the Alpini. Little is known outside of Italy about the contribution and sacrifice of Italys military during WWI with over 600,000 dead and more than a million wounded. So it's refreshing to see a break from all the Germans, PMC's and the like. I like that you present figures that most of us have not even heard of so there's the added benefit of little history lesson. Thanks for the fine work.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Outstanding work, Zebraten. A fine-looking cavalryman.
I've read a number of accounts of Savoia's charge, among other Italian actions on the Eastern front. As more histories are written, it's possible to get a much truer idea of the quality of the Italian soldier in both WW1 and WW2.

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Outstanding work, Zebraten. A fine-looking cavalryman.
I've read a number of accounts of Savoia's charge, among other Italian actions on the Eastern front. As more histories are written, it's possible to get a much truer idea of the quality of the Italian soldier in both WW1 and WW2.
Very nice, I love the Italian figures we've been seeing of late. Keep up the good work!
Thanks gents. I agree, the Italians traditionally have gotten a raw deal when it came to their contributions during the two world wars. They certainly did an excellent job of "doing more with less."

Thanks for the nice words.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts