One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"Their mission is a Toy"

I bought this Sheriff Woody toy a couple of months ago thinking that I would do a realistic Sheriff Woody (Tom Hanks head and 1/6 body with Sheriff Woody clothes). But strangely enough, it worked out the other way...

I stuffed his pants and shoulders with soft material to give him more leg and upper body strength and dimension. Sheriff Woody's notorious for not being able to stand up but Captain Woody's almost able to stand up on his own - almost.

His hands don't shake but they are bendy, so he can grab both the Thompson Submachine gun and the canteen.

Most of the equipment is actually 1/6th scale - the shirt, the jacket, the patch, the vest, etc. Interestingly, this project helped me find use for those oversize/out-of-scale GI Joe type equipment - the large gaiters and boots, the large M1911 pistol and holster. I'm thinking I could probably find a use for all those things that I can't use with my regular 1/6th figs if I do more figures like this.

OneSixthScaleKing provided the 1/6th scale Ranger patch. Some of the equipment is 1/6th aftermarket, some is scratchbuilt.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the helmet. A 1/6th scale helmet clearly won't fit Woody... but it can't be a kid's toy helmet either, as those would be too big...

Eventually I'll be able to show off the Omaha beach version of Captain Woody Miller... stay tuned!

"Earn this... Buzz.... Earn it!"

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Finally - got the helmet done.

In the end I used the top of a Fit&Active plastic juice bottle + a random dome shaped piece of plastic (it might have been the cover for one of those 25 cent toys that you get for little kids out of vending machines), some cloth and a whole lot of ShoeGoo. The ShoeGoo is a pretty good adhesive/filler - when it hardens it's got about the strength and consistency of soft-medium strength plastic. I use it as a support/alternative to model putty for all my figure modification.

The rear of the helmet and figure. I painted the entire thing in acryllics, first a mix of yellow and black to get the dark OD of the helmet then a mix of red and yellow to do the characteristic orange lozenge of the Rangers.

As you can see, Captain Woody's grown a five-o-clock shadow in the intervening period.

The regular Ranger equipment's about done - some of the pouches and the shovel cover were scratchbuilt out of an old pair of khaki pants.

The Colt M1911 and holster were, if I recall correctly, off an old GI Joe 'General' figure as were the leggings and boots. While hopelessly inaccurate/off-scale for 1/6th scale figures they were perfect for Captain Woody!

Hey-howdy-hey! Captain Woody's ready to go for a walk in the Normandy countryside.

"When I think of home... I think of my old hammock... my wife trimming the rose-bushes and feeding the sheep..."
Captain Woody and Bo Peep.

The Spirit of 44...
Saluting all the brave men and women who left loved ones behind to destroy tyranny and defend freedom!

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts
That is wonderful! I think if this had been posted in the general discussion area you would have many more views.

Great stuff

·
DO NOT READ THIS SENTENCE
2,235 Posts
I would honestly buy one of these if they made them!!
So good!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would this be okay for the general discussion? I was not sure about posting it there because it's not strictly 1/6th scale - a lot of him is but definitely the noggin, leggings/boots and pistol ain't.

If you guys think it's okay, I'll post it there when I update him - hopefully before I go on summer vacation this monday. The next update will be D-Day Captain Woody and when I get back from summer break, I'm planning to do some whimsical little props from his pre-war/early war days at his home at Andystown, PA where he taught at Thomas Alva Edison High School and coached the local baseball team as well as early war ranger training and North Africa/Anzio mementos.

@Sour and 88Reaper88

I might be induced to do commisions ;)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Awesome job Norrington! Very original. Now you just need a Buzz LY in 101st gear and you're set!

"Buzz Francis Lightyear from Iowa?"

"No, Buzz Frederick Lightyear from Minnesota."

"We got the wrong Lightyear!"

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup! We're workin' on that... I'll be happy if I can find the Toy Story gang in the Woody scale, that'll be just perfect. Jessie as Sarge, Slink as Jackson, Rex as Upham, Wheezy as Doc, Potatohead as Mellish, Hamm as Reiben - based on their personality types in Toy Story mainly (Jessie's the cowgirl go-getter version of Woody. Slink's got the whole southern accent thing down, Rex is the neurotic type, Potatohead and Hamm are always the ones against Woody), who knows I might have the whole squad one day.

And it works out too because in both SPR and Toy Story there are a bunch of different Ryans/Buzz Lightyear's!

I can't believe how perfect a parallel these stories could be - with Buzz as an airborne toy and all - And I guess Buzz's airborne helmet should do that whoosh thing too ;-)

·
Time Lord Of Flatbush
5,917 Posts
Fantastic!
Great fun and brought a huge smile to my face.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
One must always be careful to make sure that these pieces do not mock, minimize or insult the sacrifice that was made by the individuals as portrayed in the original SPR.....which is already very close to happening, IMHO......

Just sayin'........

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay... the last time I checked, "Captain John Miller, 2nd Rangers" nor any of his squad, nor "Private James Francis Ryan of Peyton, Iowa", nor any of the main or indeed secondary characters in that film - except for General George C. Marshall - actually existed, neither does the town of 'Ramelle', nor did the 2nd SS Panzer Division "Das Reich" engage American paratroopers - or any Allied paratroopers - in the time span mentioned in the film, indeed no Tigers fought against the American landings in Normandy (they were all in the British zone where they clobbered the advance of the 7th Armoured Division at Villiers-Bocage) and P-51 Mustangs are NOT tankbusters... in summary, this movie was, while loosely based on historical events, a work of fiction. Which like other works of fiction has its virtues and its flaws.

Now if I made a bobblehead of General Anthony McAuliffe or an anime of a Kempetai assaulting a Chinese girl, by all means point it out. I do recognize that there are certain lines of respect that should not be crossed. But as I said, neither John Miller, nor Keith Mallory, nor Morris Schaeffer nor even Kelly, Oddball, Big Joe, Hogan or J.J.Sefton are historical or even real people, much less real soldiers. I don't see why one has to treat them with the same kid gloves as Jumping Jim Gavin or Paddy Mayne.

The individuals of Saving Private Ryan made no sacrifices - they're actors, highly paid ones at that, who were filmed in a fictional movie. Now, to be sure, I understand that they are paying tribute to the real heroes of D-Day and I'm not bashing that, but I don't see why they are hands off as well.

Furthermore, I do not see how what I made is 'insulting' - while the piece blends these two films that Tom Hanks made, I certainly didn't choose scenarios that were meant to demean the historical 2nd US Rangers or even their fictional counterparts. If anything, it's a commentary on a) the films of Tom Hanks and b) our hobby - HOBBY - in general. These are toys, like it or not, whether they're a Dragon Danny McMillan or a 3R Adolf Hitler - they're just toys. They're not some holier-than-can-be-messed-with idol just because they're sculpted like General Robert E. Lee or General Anthony McAuliffe. Hopefully they get kids and us interested in the real history behind their representative forms but that doesn't make them any more than what they are - toys.

Now, it's good to respect what they represent but at the end of the day, they're just toys. And they're meant to be played with.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
No, there wero no "Captain John Miller, 2nd Rangers" nor any of his squad, nor "Private James Francis Ryan of Peyton, Iowa", nor any of the main or indeed secondary characters in that film.........but there were thousands of REAL men as portrayed by those characters that gave all that day. Personally, I do find those figures a little too much on the "light" side for my tastes, but then again, those are my tastes.......

Again, just sayin' that one must be careful is all......who knows, there very likely could be some out there with tastes similar to mine...........didn't know I was goin' to draw more fire than a (real) LCV ON D-Day..........Nicht schießen! :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts