One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Private Investigator
2,379 Posts
how is 3 figures that came out some eight to ten years ago "done to death"? by that logic, there's no way HT are going to release any more Navy SEALs this year. :b

i think chances are still intact. HT have released two fantastic GIGN figures which no one had done since Medicom released their version. and in general, the classic counter-terrorist figures haven't been too popular with manufacturers lately (probably because of the conflicts in the middle east). personally, i'd love to see some of those subjects revived; an 80s-90s SAS CRW trooper (breacher & assault team leader), updated 80s GSG9-operators, a second pair of late 80s-early 90s SEAL Team 5 VBSS figures (sniper & breacher), or two new SDU v4.0 figures.

·
What should I bash today?
4,267 Posts
I'm not particularly keen on Op Nimrod SAS cos I personally feel a combination of DML, BBI, & Medicom parts can make an awesome 'Pagoda Troop' bash... But I speak for myself when I say that as long as HT continues to come up with non-US military figures, they got my monies... :lol So how abt a SBS figure in Maritime CT/ VBSS gears instead? They got slightly different gears from the SAS, esp. customised floatation vest... :banana

·
BBi Fanboy
2,210 Posts
how is 3 figures that came out some eight to ten years ago "done to death"? by that logic, there's no way HT are going to release any more Navy SEALs this year. :b
What I meant was that the classic jumpsuited SAS CQB guy is no longer a cutting edge design. HT figures tend to be relatively current and cutting edge. The GIGN figures were greatly updated compared to something like Medicom's old GIGN.
Now, I don't know if the SAS still use that same CQB outfit, and if they do, then as I said, I would welcome an updated version along the lines of their GIGN guy. After playing several hours of COD4, I've been thinking about bashing a classic SAS CQB guy ala' Cpt. Price in the freighter raid.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I'm not particularly keen on Op Nimrod SAS cos I personally feel a combination of DML, BBI, & Medicom parts can make an awesome 'Pagoda Troop' bash...
Except that the S6 respirator is unavailable - all those old figures have the later model S10(maybe one day the Barrack Sgt S6 will see light of day...) - plus those old parts aren't really up to the current standard of detail.

The best plan IMO would be for Hot Toys to start planning now for a 30th anniversary release. :thumb

·
Private Investigator
2,379 Posts
What I meant was that the classic jumpsuited SAS CQB guy is no longer a cutting edge design. HT figures tend to be relatively current and cutting edge. The GIGN figures were greatly updated compared to something like Medicom's old GIGN.
Now, I don't know if the SAS still use that same CQB outfit, and if they do, then as I said, I would welcome an updated version along the lines of their GIGN guy. After playing several hours of COD4, I've been thinking about bashing a classic SAS CQB guy ala' Cpt. Price in the freighter raid.
OK, but who says that every new HT figure has to represent an operator in current cutting-edge gear?

when DML released their GSG-9 series of figures in the late 90s-early 2000s, they represented mid-to-late-1980s GSG-9 operators, while the real GSG-9 had by then already switched to updated gear, including black jumpsuits instead of blue ones and a different helmet design.

or do you remember the HT SEAL Team 5 VBSS figures relesed a few years ago? those were based on early 90s SEALs as well.

in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with going back in time a bit every now and then. just saying.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Except that the S6 respirator is unavailable - all those old figures have the later model S10(maybe one day the Barrack Sgt S6 will see light of day...)
Maybe the delay is due to getting the whole set together and pushing that through the distribution channels. I'd pm Larry about the s6 by itself, I know I did ;)

About a Nimrod trooper, what about the vest? In the usual embassy pics, I don't think it's really the suede or pigskin variety as depicted on DML Nigel, BBI Clark, etc., so then what exactly were those? According to, http://www.sas22.com/modules/newbb/...&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

"Embassy accounts mention a 'plastic overvest' worn over the suit but no examples seen other than in the Embassy photos. I think what they might mean by that is that they were using black versions of that old Vietnam era US body armour with nylon covers and laced up sides which the regular army were wearing in NI at that time (not the Brit version of the same thing which came later but actual US vests - found a post from an NI vet on the web that confirmed this."

I also read somewhere that the black covers were likely customized, which seems to lend weight to the fact that the fit generally looked very crude. I do have a TS vest that's waiting to be recolored black. The lacing is there, but I don't think its conversion would be that straightforward since in the embassy pics, the vests have straps for the flash bangs and sledges, the pockets at the front are lower, and there seems to be a seam or plate compartment at the lower back that's not on the TA vest or other Nam vests.

Couple more questions for those here about the above vest theory, can this be confirmed either way and more importantly, apart from the vintage Palitoy SAS trooper, where can I get a 1/6th version?

·
Using 1/6th of my brain!
410 Posts
Why not SEVERAL figures from the SAS, old & new?

So how abt a SBS figure in Maritime CT/ VBSS gears instead? They got slightly different gears from the SAS, esp. customised floatation vest... :banana
I agree 100% with Cpl Ho regarding the SBS or Maritime Royal Marine VBSS. The number of cool, must have gear on this website http://www.ispl.co.uk/military.html alone would keep Hot Toys, Ace, Soldier Story, et al, busy and keep me quite chuffed. Dry Suits, Float Vests and other maritime and riverine kit used by today's UKSF would be a welcome diversion from the myriad US SpecOps gear.

Where I disagree is with the 1980 Pagoda Trooper. I, for one, would love to have a Hot Toys quality, all brand new "Princes Gate Avenue" player. Operation Nimrod was such a significant "moment in history" that I think it warrants a fresh and proper treatment for the nostalgia and historical value. After all, had it not been for those famous caught-in-the-act images, the counter terrorist actions of the SAS might have remained a mystery for ages!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts