One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all members. I am now in my WW2 bash phase. Last week I watched combat starring Vic Morrow and just had to do a Sgt. Saunders bash. Bare in mind that the facial likeness is not the Sarg, but I popped a head on that is the closest to the Sarg I could find. I tried to get an a portrayal of Saunder ‘s battle weary unkept look. The whole process brought back good memories. When I was kid, the program combat was one of mine and my Dad’s favorite programs. My dad has since passed “Bless His Soul”. I recall we would watch Combat together each week and would get juiced up. Then I would later go outside and emulate the Sarg, playing Combat with my buddies. I had a toy Tommy Gun, camouflage helmet and my dad’s old WW2 dog tags. When I was old enough I joint the Marine Corps. I was probably influenced to join the Corps by playing Combat with my buddies. I have since retired. Great Memories!!!! “Semper Fi” to all past, present and future Marines plus all OSW members. Enjoy the pictures.

Regards

Attachments

·
God Bless America
1,529 Posts
VERY cool bash!
Combat is one of my favorites, too. I'd watch the show then get out my little plastic army men and knock off some "krauts." :lol

Good job. :thumb

·
buyer of all cool stuff..
281 Posts
Nice job, Aquaman! :thumb

Your story sounds like the tale of my childhood.
My father was a WWII vet as well, finishing his service in Patton's 3rd Army.
He served as an interpreter to Marshall Zhukov when Patton entered Czechoslovakia in 1945.
Anyway, our evenings were filled with episodes of Combat, 12 O'clock High and Rat Patrol. Good memories.
Thanks for sharing your bash.

SoF Joe :cheers

·
"It's game time!"
53 Posts
Sweet bash, man! I'm a very big fan of 'Combat!', and Ive always wanted a Sgt. Saunders figure. Definitely one of the best on-screen interpretations of WW2.

If you're interested, Cyber Hobby actually made an 1/6 Saunders(Just named 'Sarge') aswell as a two-pack exclusive of him(Abeit with differences from the original release such as; a different helmet cover, double-buckle boots, a satchel with harness and an extra cigarette-smoking head) and Lieutenant Hanley(Just named 'Lieutenant'), though the two pack is very rare aswell as very expensive, to boot.

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
The CH releases are hard to find and go for big bucks on eBay. There are a couple of fine custom hs' of Saunders (Vic Morrow) around try writing Ada Chan at: [email protected]. Ada has a really good likeness of Saunders/Morrow and I've been really happy with the other sculpts I've purchased. Ada is realiable, fast and prices usually include shipping from HK ($10-$15-$25). Packaging has to be seen to be believed. Saunders I think is a $25 one but well worth it. If I find the other custom one I saw I'll post the details for you.

Nice job on the figure, only one correction, it's a little hard to tell from the photos but it looks like you used a WW2 Marine beach pattern camo helmet cover for Saunders helmet. Actually it should be the US Army M1942 pattern camo. Similar but with green blotches. This pattern was briefly used by the 30th Infantry Division and 17th Engineer Battalinon of the 2nd Armored Divsion during the fightly after D-Day in the Bocage country. The army stopped using it due to "friendly fire" incidents, the pattern sort of resembled the German Waffen-SS camouflage. The remainder of the stocks were sent to the Pacific. Saunders may have "appropriated" some of the camo and cut himself a helmet cover. DML made a couple of figures in this camo ("Edward", an old one, and "Hap Daley", a 2007 release), look around for loose uniforms and make one just like the Sarge. I know how you feel about the series, absolutely my favorite show, it still is a joy to watch - I have every episode on tape or DVD.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok, now where is Little John and Cage? Combat was a great series. I really enjoyed watching it. My dad was also a WW2 vet who past away a few short years ago. He was assigned to a hospital unit and was attached to Pattons 7th army. sof 62 said it, Twelve O'Clock High, Rat Patrol, Combat has brought back great memories. Here is a memorial I did for my father and also a few of my uncles. Thanks for bringing back some great childhood memories.

Attachments

·
"It's game time!"
53 Posts
Nice job on the figure, only one correction, it's a little hard to tell from the photos but it looks like you used a WW2 Marine beach pattern camo helmet cover for Saunders helmet. Actually it should be the US Army M1942 pattern camo. Similar but with green blotches. This pattern was briefly used by the 30th Infantry Division and 17th Engineer Battalinon of the 2nd Armored Divsion during the fightly after D-Day in the Bocage country. The army stopped using it due to "friendly fire" incidents, the pattern sort of resembled the German Waffen-SS camouflage. The remainder of the stocks were sent to the Pacific. Saunders may have "appropriated" some of the camo and cut himself a helmet cover. DML made a couple of figures in this camo ("Edward", an old one, and "Hap Daley", a 2007 release), look around for loose uniforms and make one just like the Sarge. I know how you feel about the series, absolutely my favorite show, it still is a joy to watch - I have every episode on tape or DVD.
Actually, the camo cover for Saunders was made from a piece of nylon cut from a T-5 camo parachute canopy. ;)

And agreed. I still love watching the show from time to time.

·
USAF GI Joe
540 Posts
Love the bash. My Dad was a WWII vet also, 34th Infantry Division. He was captured in North Africa in 1943 and was a POW for 26 months, where he eventually was held at Hammerstein POW Camp in what was then Prussia, it's said to be the cruelest of all the American POW Camps. He never was bitter about it though, he was something special.

We watched the Rat Patrol, Combat and Hogans Heroes together(Sgt Schultz made him laugh).

He took me to see Tora, Tora, Tora...Midway and Patton. I absolutely loved it and I'll always remember it.

I lost him to cancer in 92. My only regret is I didn't get to see him as much as I wanted to at the end, I was Active Duty Air Force then.

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
Actually, the camo cover for Saunders was made from a piece of nylon cut from a T-5 camo parachute canopy. ;)

And agreed. I still love watching the show from time to time.
Sorry but I'll have to disagree. It's the sheen & and green that is the give away. The nylon camo parachute canopy had a distinctive sheen and was noticiably greener than the M1942 camo suit material and the camo splotches had a different pattern and shape. Saunders cover had obvious brown splotches not present on the parachute canopy. Have a look at the thumbnails below an you'll see what I mean (the T5 sample is a scarf made from the parachute canopy). I know where the confusion occured. There was a Combat! board game put out when the series was still on the air, Morrow is illustrated incorrectly in the box art wearing a greener camo cover. In that illustration is does appear to be the parachute material but this the artists error and not what was used on the show.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.