One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Australian OSW member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the internet just ate my last attempt at posting this question.

Since my last weapon question here resulted in a lot of help, and me actually finding a Lewis gun (two, actually) which I had been looking for for a solid year, I'm hoping for some success with these questions.

I'm looking for a/some decent SA80 series weapons, particularly the L85, but I don't know if anyone is even making them nowadays. I've seen pics of some really nice ones and some really crappy ones, but unfortunately I'm not sure what's readily available or in current production. I'd also like an idea of which (if any) to avoid. The rubbish ones looked a lot like poor quality Chinese casts.
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as22-e.htm
If any of the variants are out there they're also great. (Does anyone make any of them, or are they bash-only?) I know DML made the MG variant, but no idea on others..

The other weapon I'm hunting is the "Para" version of the FN Minimi/M249 SAW. I'm looking for the SPW variant. Both have the telescoping para buttstock.
http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg17-e.htm
(3rd and 4th pics down)
M249s arent hard to find, but I've never seen one with the para buttstock in 1:6..

thanks for any help or knowledge anyone has!

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
DML made a nice L85, BBi also made one in metal, but with a plastic muzzle and plastic optic.
British Weapons set 1 or 2 should have the DML rifle. It can be found on eBay from time to time and maybe an etailer will have it, perhaps EchoBaseToys.
The L86 could probably be chopped into a decent L85, maybe.

Armoury made a set of these rifles both the L85 and L86, I only recall them in Tan, they may have made them in green as well.

If I had to I would rate the DML one just over the BBi. The Armoury one may be in between? Maybe One Bravo Four or All Mighty One could offer their opinions.

DML also made the Para Saw in long barrel and short barrel configuration.

The longer barrel one may have come with 101st Paratrooper Kevin, and the shorter one in Squad Automatic Weapon set 1 or 2. DML also makes a folding stock version if that appeals to you.

The most recent one was Soldier Story's ParaSaw, but it has a rail system on the foreend, around/under the heatshield so it may not fit what you want. The muzzle on this one is also different than the older DML ones, if thats a matter.

A cheap option is 21C's weapon set from a year ago, it had a decent SSAW like you wanted. Warlordskeep may have one, give him a PM or visit his site, theres a picture up. 21C made the L85 as well, it came with the T-Gore figure.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dragon sa80/l85 is probably the easiest one to find that is decent. I like the BBI too, but it's diecast so it might not be the one you like.

http://stores.homestead.com/AtlanticToys/Categories.bok?category=Dragon+Carded+Accessory+Pack♠

As for the para version of the minimi, I would say only the BBI raptor one is closet to the one on world guns website. The only problem is that they are hard to find. If you don't need it to be super detailed, the one released by 21st century toys (TUS) is good too, but isn't the high model standard but a good base.

http://www.ultimatesoldier.net/archive/weapons-m17.html

On a side note, if you do use the TUS version and want the rail above the barrel, you can get the barrack sargent mk48 and take the rail from it to put on the TUS version.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Armory definitely made the set in green. I used to have a couple. I'm pretty sure I already got rid of them, but I will check. They were nice sets. I would put them near the top, if not at the top of my list.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Saiko is the man! For an L85A2 though you cannot beat Realistic Miniatures' (RMC) for accuracy and detail. I haven't seen one in OD "furniture" for a while, and I believe Good Stuff To Go and War-Toys were the two places still carrying the desert sand colored version. They came in a card with plain helmet and another large weapon, usually an LSW or GPMG. I have one of these in desert sand furniture and it is way cool; the scope can be changed for the carrying handle and the sling is very well made. Currently though ebay may be your only choice for the RMC carded L85.

A quick google search for "L85 1:6 scale" found me a place http://www.pilotwear.com/store/p/10100-British-Infantry-Equipment-Set-2-1-6-.html?feed=froogle where you can still get the Dragon one in OD green, at a fairly good price.

As far as the FN Minimi (known in the US Armed Forces as the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon or SAW) I personally have the Dragon one in long-barreled version and it has great detail. 21st Century's version is also quite good although not as decent as Dragon's; it looks exactly like the short barreled SPW in your reference pics, down to the woodland-camo covered ammo box. It is a cool weapon, just not as detailed as Dragon's. Not sure who is selling them though; you may want to check out 1:6 Depot.

Hope this helps...

·
WIP Basher =0)
4,802 Posts
Being a Brit basher I prefer RMC SA80's, but this are getting harder to find.
Quality is good but you don't have the moving charging handle or the removable mag which the DML version has.
DML SA80's are more available, I suggest getting the carded DML set which comes with a GPMG.
http://www.echobasetoys.com/Dragon_Pics/Dragon_Boxed_Pics/Carded_Modern_Pics/DR-71195.jpg
British Infantry Equipment Set 2 for 14.99 at EBT

For Minimi I use DML's para version from either the carded set or from the Box set Jaime101 sawgunner.
http://www.echobasetoys.com/Dragon_Pics/Dragon_Boxed_Pics/Carded_Modern_Pics/DR-71139.jpg
http://www.echobasetoys.com/Dragon_Pics/Dragon_Boxed_Pics/Modern_USA_Boxed_Pics/DR-70059.jpg

I just change out the suppressor with an LSW one, it's not 1/1 accurate for British use but its a good stand in for me.

Both are hard to find at this point so I suggest going with Soldier Story, it has the correct flash suppressors so it would be good accuracy wise.
http://www.echobasetoys.com/More_12_inch_Stuff_Pics/Soldier_Story_Pics/SS-001.jpg
Hot Toys made one too but this are a bit pricy and hard to come by loose.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOT-TOYS-MILITA...oryZ1168QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
TUS made one too in a Carded set so you can go that way too for a cheaper option.

EBAY is your best bet for finding this.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Both are hard to find at this point so I suggest going with Soldier Story, it has the correct flash suppressors so it would be good accuracy wise.
http://www.echobasetoys.com/More_12_inch_Stuff_Pics/Soldier_Story_Pics/SS-001.jpg
Hot Toys made one too but this are a bit pricy and hard to come by loose.
TUS made one too in a Carded set so you can go that way too for a cheaper option.
I think EBAY is your best bet for finding this.
I do NOT recommend the Soldier Story one for Brits as it has SF handguards which have rail kits. IMHO the DMl is just as nice. The Brit one has the standard handguard like the DML ones. The DML ones need a new flash suppressor bu that is easy to do with Plastic tube and a small drill. The only problem with DML;'s is that the lazy sods did them with hard Ammo tubs.
Spanner

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi Azazel

I think the RMC L85 is the best,although DML's and the bbi version are perfectly acceptable.

IMO the DML Para Minimi from the US Automatic Weapons set is,(with a few alterations),the closest to the Brit version. I replaced the flash suppressor with one from the 21st Century Ranger Set (Ditmeus shows above), removed the hand guard and placed a Susat sight on,and after a quick re-paint,it looked ok. The one shown below has an all-plastic 200 round box, again from the Ranger set,which I think looks a bit bulky, so I have since replaced this with the smaller 100 round box that comes with the newer Soldier Story SAW,which has a cloth cover and looks excellent.

Having said all that,the only prob is they're pretty rare fella.I collect nothing but modern Brit,and whilst it took me many,many months to get the three I have,I'd love to have more! As Spanner said, the Soldier Story version,although being beautifully made,is more akin to the US weapon. If you can't locate a DML version,I'd got for the 21C Rangers set (again quite rare!) or the bbi version of the SAW and get customising it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
That is one impressive platoon of brits Mr. Broadsword! We demand more pictures, and to see your desert troops!!!

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Lol becareful what you wish for PitViper, Broadsword here probably has at least a battalion sized element, if not a company's worth+a section of artillery to back them up!

Heh, viewers beware, may cause you to go broke trying to build platoons! It may even help lift the recession :lol

Oh and thanks GunnerGreg, PitViper, AMO and Broadsword for the clarification on the RMC model, I never got that one, only seeing the tan ones available at the time and not seeing them in service anywhere, but now I know what I missed out on ~_~

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
One thing that may be wise to mention is that no one does the current L85A2 with the G36 front end and differing cocking handle/ejection port. It can be done by a bit of surgery but donor G36 are as hard to find as the DML para Minimi. The Old and long missed hasbro Weapon tech G 36 set had a great front end with H&K GL.
Al

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
:jawdrop:jawdrop:jawdrop!!!!! Your troops are unbelievable! Reconnaissance vehicles, artillery, the works! One truly amazing collection.

·
Australian OSW member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, sorry it took so long to get back to the topic - long week at work. The Minimi isn't nessecarily for a Brit bash at this stage - if I manage to find a couple of them one certainly will.

Just that I've gotten a few modern Brits armed with all kinds of other things with not a single L85 at all yet and want to recify that. The Minimi/M249 is for an Aussie SASR section that I'm starting to put together. As the SASR are given more flexibility in the kit they can choose to use, it also lets me be more flexible with the exact weapon in the Minimi family they're armed with, though the Para-style stock seems to be the most important factor there.

·
Australian OSW member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only SS SAW I'm familiar with is the 1st Cav version, though that's got a fixed stock and not the telescoping para-style stock. Which figure are you referring to?

edit - Automatic Rifleman 3rd Brigade 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault)?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
That's the one - the first SS 101st SAW gunner figure came with a Para-SAW. The best bit is that parts can be swapped between the two versions so you can make eg; SAW with long barrel, para-stock & plastic handguards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts