One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the Spanish surrender in Cuba, eventually the Fifth Corps - which included the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry - returned to the United States. They were encamped at Camp Wikoff at Montauk, on Long island, NY. The companies of the Rough Riders which had remained in Florida rejoined the regiment at Camp Wikoff. Here are a couple of links that detail the interesting history of the camp:

First U.S. Volunteer Cavalry at Camp Wikoff
Camp Wikoff, Col. Roosevelt & The Rough Riders / August, 1898

When it was all said and done, Colonel Theodore Roosevelt took leave of his regiment in an emotional farewell. There, the men gave their colonel a fitting gift - Frederic Remington's bronze, "The Bronco Buster". Roosevelt thanked them and shook each of their hands as they filed past. Here is how it looked.

And here is my version of The Rough Rider Farewell:

All of the figures and hs are DML and all of the uniforms are BattleGear Toys. Some of these were modified and re-dyed. Teddy's hat is BGT and the enlisted men's hats were made by my friend Gordon. I repainted the yellow uniform highlights the correct shade of yellow. The enlisted man shaking hands wears the first pattern of the new 1898 khaki uniform, with collar, cuffs and pocket flaps colored yellow for cavalry. He also wears a khaki belt I made that was intended for wear when the soldier was not wearing a saber or cartridge belt. The men who had gone to Cuba were eventually issued the khaki uniform (that was generally unavailable before the war began, even to Regular Army units), and told to burn their brown canvas fatigue uniforms that they had worn since enlisting. The men shown wearing the canvas uniform are most likely some of those who did not go to Cuba, so their uniforms were in better condition. (I prefer to think the trooper to the right wearing the brown uniform has a deck of cards in his breast pocket) Some of the men also wear civilian boots. One of the men wears the distinctive blue neckerchief with white polka dots that the men purchased before leaving Florida. (Some apparently were red.)
Colonel Roosevelt is wearing his rank insignia on his shoulder straps, and on his collar, he wears the crossed sabers and regimental number and false embroidered brass "USV" to denote a Volunteer regiment. Additionally, Roosevelt chose to wear the brass US Army coat of arms insignia, which ended up toward the back of his collar. These were normally worn by Regular Army officers with their rank insignia on their shoulder straps. After returning to the States, Roosevelt and many of the men added Model 1872 crossed saber insignia to their campaign hats. I made all of the insignia by printing them on gold or silver foil address labels which were put on thin styrene, then cut out by hand.
The Bronco Buster statue was something I bought at a gun show many years ago because I like Frederic Remington's work. Little did I know it would find another way to be displayed. I just had to make a table to put it on.
Hope you like them, and thanks for looking!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice figures and research. SAW is my favorite and I'll have to post a few of my figures if I ever get around to finishing them. Keep posting.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. I have more Teddy Roosevelt figures, more Rough Riders and more general SAW figures in one stage or another. panzeriv, I would definitely like to see what you have. And I have to say again - without BattleGear Toys, I wouldn't be making much of ANYTHING!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts