·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rorke's Drift Defender
Private, B Company
2 / 24th Regiment of Foot
22 January 1879

I dedicate this figure to my friend Andrew Sheppard.
His work on Victorian Era miniatures inspire us all!

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

This figure is the DML Sgt.Jones figure with a shortened DML body with reduced chest and shoulders and a DID HS. I added large sideburns with Aves Sculpt Apoxie.
The DML boots were replaced with a pair of german para boots from I think NewLine and the leather gaiters are the black "jambieres" from BGT (ACW-zouaves) adapted to get a "tighter" finish.
Everything weathered with drybrushing and some washes on the equipment. I had to repaint the facings geen as with time the facings on the stored figure had turned to brown!
The hands are from DID's recent US Para figure.

During the Anglo-Zulu War, the defence of Rorke's Drift (22 January-23 January 1879) immediately followed the British Army's defeat at the Battle of Isandlwana earlier in the day. One hundred and thirty-nine British soldiers successfully defended their garrison against an intense assault by four to five thousand Zulu warriors. The overwhelming Zulu attack on Rorke's Drift came a hair's breadth away from defeating the tiny British garrison. The successful defense of the outpost is held as one of history's finest defenses.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Agree with the three worthies above, tho my first thought was that is was Pvt Hook VC, rather than the talented Pvt Owen. As it turns out, it seems the real Hook had a moustache and lesser sideburns.

·
"Load clear!"
206 Posts
Besides being an excellent figure, what did you use for a base?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ed
Great to see him with the bayonet sorted out. How did you extend it?
I love the way you weather your figures, always look grimey and sweaty when required. I can feel the discomfort of this figure in the South African heat, sweating and itching in his woolen tunic.

Andy

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The base is one of my generic pieces to be used as I take the images, like the look with something under the figure, reminds me of my smaller scale past.
It is a thick piece of styrofoam which I shape with a hot wire, add texture tot he top, then paint and finish.
The key for me is using the airgun for the black sides. Painted with a brush I never got a good result. Witht he airgun you get a very nice and FLAT smooth finish.

Andy I chopped a couple of ACW bayonets and then glued the two longer pieces together to extend it. Glued it with CA, then sanded, painted and rubbed with graphite. I also made a small bit with a leftover piece to place in the scabbard which I also extended and replaced.
Thanks for the heads up... the other odd piece is now in like for a ACW project!

I did not model any particular character from the movie, so this represents a somewhat generic defender...

E

·
A complete Six maniac!!
2,193 Posts
Well Eduardo, you've done it again mate,....another fantastically portrayed figure.
Your work leaves me wondering why i even bother.:sadshake
You are a master at many aspects of 1/6th modelling, but your weathering
is second to none!!!:wideyes
I must agree with LG, i can just imagine (especially in pic 3) him standing listening, and saying,..."They got a great bass barotone mind,..but no tenors, that's for sure"
Fantastic stuff Ed.

Neil.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.
Of course the figure comes with mistakes and my version is not close to perfect as "fixing" the many errors is way beyond my capabilities and purpose.
Using the ACW gaiters is a comprmise and incorrect as are the german para boots!
But looking to improve on the rubbery boots.
Also made a new bayonet substituting the sword/bayonet piece that apparently is an officer piece and probably an odd piece at that.

My figure is quite generic, not representing any particular private from history or the movie.

I love that movie and all the references to the singing makes me want to watch it once again!
Song was incorrect for the period, they were not South Wales Borderers until 1881... but who cares! :banana

Sing it boys!

Men of Harlech on to glory
This will ever be your story
Keep these burning words before ye
Welshmen will not yield!

A note on singing, if you go back to the begining of Gladiator the barbaric chant sounds A LOT like the Zulus! ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
He looks most like the guy who was worried about the calf and didn't properly latch the gate. When I was in boy's glee in Jr High School (go ahead, laugh it up), one of our daily warm up songs was the March of the Men of Harlech. I sang that song long before I saw the movie and I kinda feel like busting out a chorus or two now, looking at the great fig that Eduardo has done here. Outstanding job sir.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.