One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to display flags and spears in the same area as my figures but I didn't want a pile of them leaning against a wall (and later randomly falling).
Instead, I wanted to craft a wooden stand to use behind my Roman figures.
I figured I could make something that (while not historically accurate) will have the appearance of something that 'could have' been found in a roman encampment.
I cobbled together the concept of the rack from some pictures I saw on the internet.

This is the finished product, made from basswood and oak, stained and given a light coat of clear sealant.
I had some wooden trim lying around that had the roman 'fasces' (bundle of rods) motif, so I used it for the two horizontal pieces.
I was hoping that would give it a little more detail.

The hardest parts were:
1) Making these tiny, pinned mortise-and-tenon joints (they are time-consuming to make, but very solid joints).
The wooden pin holding the joints together were cut from 1/16th dowels then distressed to appear as if they've been 'hammered in' with a mallet
2) Leveling the four supports so the ends lie flat on the surface

This is another view of it with Kaustic Plastik's Lucius Duccius Rufinus in front of the rack for scale.
I tried not to make the stand too tall only because I was taking into consideration the effort it would take to lift a pole out from the stand if it were full-size.

OK, with the rest of the figures in place it's not even visible :doh - but at least there's no pile of spears/flags leaning against the wall waiting to fall down. :)

Hope you enjoyed this.

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Looks great. A very fine scratch build if I may say so. Thanks for sharing

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
That was definitely worth doing. Very nice presentation, and indicative of the discipline of the Roman army.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Man, that's damn cool work.

It certainly looks the part and is very functional.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts