One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robert L. Howard is from Opelika, AL and now resides in Texas.

He entered the Army at Montgomery, AL as an enlisted man and retired as colonel.

As a staff sergeant in MACV-SOG, Howard was recommended for the Medal of Honor on three separate occasions for three individual actions during a thirteen month period spanning 1967-1968. The first two nominations were downgraded to the award of the Distinguished Service Cross due to the covert nature of the operations in which Howard participated. As a Sergeant First Class of the same organization, he risked his life during a rescue mission in Cambodia on 30 December 1968, while second in command of a platoon-sized Hornet force that was searching for missing American solider Robert Scherdin, and was finally awarded the Medal of Honor.

It can be argued that Howard is the most highly decorated combat soldier in U.S. military history. Col. Howard retired to Texas and spends much of his free time working with veterans. He also takes periodic trips to Iraq to visit with active duty troops.

Decorations and Awards
Congressional Medal of Honor
Distinguished Service Cross (Two Awards)
Silver Star
Bronze Star for Valor (4th Award, Three Oak Leaf Clusters)
Purple Heart (8th Award, Seven Oak Leaf Clusters)
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit (4th Award, Three Oak Leaf Clusters)
Bronze Star for Meritorious Achievement
Air Medal for Valor (3rd Award, Two Oak Leaf Clusters)
Army Commendation Medal for Valor (4th Award, Three Oak Leaf Clusters)
Air Medal for Aerial Flights
Army Meritorious Service Medal (3rd Award, Two Oak Leaf Clusters)
Army Commendation Medal for Meritorious Achievement (3rd Award, Two Oak Leaf Clusters)
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
Good Conduct Medal, 4th Award
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
PNCO Ribbon W/2 device
Army Overseas Ribbon
Army Service Ribbon
Expeditionary Medal (3rd Award, Two Oak Leaf Clusters)
Vietnam Service Medal
Vietnam Campaign Medal with 60 device
Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Gold Star
Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Silver Star
Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Bronze Star
Vietnam Honor Medal (2nd Award)
Vietnamese Wound Medal
Vietnamese Civil Action Medal (2nd Award)
Army Presidential Unit Citation, (2nd Award, One Oak Leaf Cluster)
Navy Valorous Unit Citation
Army Meritorious Unit Citation
Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Palm (2nd Award, One Oak Leaf Cluster)
Republic of Korea Samil Medal
Combat Infantryman's Badge
Aircraft Crewman's Badge
Master Parachute Badge
Pathfinder Badge
Air Assault Badge
Expert Infantryman's Badge
Vietnamese Ranger Badge
Army Ranger Tab
Special Forces Qualification Tab
Thai Master Parachute Wings
Vietnamese Master Parachute Badge
French Parachutist Badge
Korean Master Parachute Badge
Thai Balloonist Badge

·
Speed Thrills
3,997 Posts
Man this cat is the REAL DEAL... The figure is very nice also. You cant help but feel you owe a guy like this a debt of Gratitude, one perhaps an entire Nation could not repay. Suffice it to say I am Proud of him and all the Men like him for their contribution to maintaining the Freedoms and liberty we continue to enjoy in United States of AMERICA. And thank you Sir for Posting the back ground information.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again for the kind words, gents, especially for COL Howard. I decided to do a tribute to him, not only for his amazing service, but the fact he is a fellow Alabamian from about 50 miles to the east of where I now live.

There is a great video interview with Howard made at the Prtizker Military Library. It is over an hour long, so be prepared.

http://www.pritzkermilitarylibrary.org/events/2006-07-27-roberthoward.jsp

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great figure- but why does the Marine officer behind him look familiar ?? Wesley Fox ??
It certainly looks like him, but I can't say. If it is, I wonder why he wouldn't be wearing his MOH in full dress blues. This photo was taken in 1982 at the dedication of the Vietnam War Memorial in D.C.

I want to pick up his autobiography some day soon.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
A superbly done figure honoring a REAL American hero. I echo BO4F's words - we owe a world of gratitude to Col. Howard and to heroes like him. Hats off to Mr. Fazz for this awesome tribute!

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Oooutstanding figure, and that headsculpt looks about as close as you can get. He seems like one of those individuals for which there are no limits.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.