One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
aNYthing
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on doing a SEAL Halo fig using BBi's SEAL UDT as a base and using the HALO rig from BBi SASR
http://www.blueboxtoys.com/bbi/eForce/udt/udt.htm

How do I secure all his water gear for the jump?
Where do I put his fins and dive board?
How do I secure his HK? Would I have to remove the sights and suppressor?
Does his water breathing apparatus stay where it is?
Where would he have his dive/water goggles?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
not EchoBase Tung (Staff emeritus)
2,994 Posts
I have a figure that is bashed just like your. Great minds must think a like! ;-)

I have found almost no way to rigged everything together, my HALO UDT has stuff hanging all over the place. I hope someone can answer this so i can fix my guy up a little.

tung

·
Registered
647 Posts
aw sh$% i was planning that as my next bash but im still in the middle of one - $%&& minds think alike!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
This is a question I will have to see if Serpent63 can answer since I am not a licensed "Junior Sky-God". I will ask my boss though. He's a HALO JM so he should know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dunklegelb, all of my water drops were static line. Never did a HALO-SCUBA transition.....HALO is crazy enough. Ill get ahold of a buddie from one of the teams and ask him, Ill get the info to you ASAP. Don't want to assume things...rather get it right from the source.

·
aNYthing
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool Beans!

Serpent, so how would you be rigged for a Static Line jump into water?
Since BBi put out a modern Static line jumper fig people might be interested in gearing him for water landing.

What situations would warrant a High Altitude Jump into water anyways??? Sounds really risky to me.
I would think you would want insertions to be as simple as possible.

Thanks again for any info you can give.

·
not EchoBase Tung (Staff emeritus)
2,994 Posts
Now I remember Rugels from the old board said something about dropping like a rock when jumping with all that gear.

tung

·
Registered
647 Posts
The seal site says they did a LAPES insertion into the water (Low Altitude Parachute Extracation System)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Let me try and answer some Q's....first LAPES drops are a thing of the past...the true LAPES involved heavy equipment into a fixed runway which allowed the aircraft to keep flying. A parachute extracted the equipment at about 10-15 above ground (if not lower) as bird continued on. Troops were not dropped in a LAPES configuration, just gear.

A more feasable option would be what we call a "Hard-Duck". This is a parachute-rigged boat on a hard platform (platform) that is dropped at jump altitude and followed immediately by jumpers. The jumpers follow the boat in , de-rig it and away you go.

The static line jumper is usually configured as follows:

BDU's or DBU's

May use a wet or dry suit depending on temps

front mounted ruck / all gear is water proofed in ruck.

fins are worn on feet but tips are pulled back and tied with bow around ankle for quick release (walking forward with fins in C-130 is not fun)...tying it back makes it easier to walk plus they are already on yur feet when u hit water. 80 pound-test cotton webbing is used in this procedure.

Parachute is worn as normal, there is a procedure for de-rigging on way down but not really needed to talk about here.

UDT vest is worn under para harness and is inflated slightly with a little air for buoncy. LBV or rack is put in ruck if there is space. Can be worn under UDT vest if no room in ruck. Signal flare and dive tool on UDT vest.

Buddy Line (a section of old rappel rope) is tied around waistline to allow you to hook in with fellow swimmer...never swim alone....too scary!!! Snap link is used to hook in, also snaplink on ruck top frame so you can pull it along as you swim if you don't have a boat

Dive Gloves on which requires rip cord grip on reserve to be inverted so it is easier to pull

No helmet at all....mask can be worn around neck. helmet = drown

IR Strobe avail on vest

Weapon (M-4) should be snap-linked into LBV

Weapon's case not used, All componenet parts stay on...do not want to loose sights in water....can be stored in a "dry bag" until shore

Everything is tied down with the 80 pd cotton test webbing.

Anything else just ask....I can get a pic of the Hard Duck platform if you like...usually used for a Zodiac RRC.

HALO-SCUBA ops...I am sure they have thier use but too much to go wrong on one insertion...That is above my level of training although I did see Charlie Sheen do one in a movie one time.....

·
aNYthing
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have the fins on with the tips tied back would you wear reg boots with these on?

For static line jumps would you still wear the reserve? Over the scuba breathing apparatus?

Heres the bash by Porkins73, Serpent how would you improve gear placement on this? What else could be added? Wrist Altimeter?

Thanks again for the info. :thumb

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry bout the delay...The 80 pound test is basically cotton string that breaks at 80 pounds of pull......duh...I will look for a jump op pic that shows the line..if I cannot find one then I will take a pic of some I have.

In response to your question about boots.. Unless you are doing a "fun jump" and hitting the beach for a BBQ you need to wear your duty boots with the fins, usually plain ole jungel boots..they dry quicker.

The reserve is ALWAYS the outter-most component when rigging. The chute needs room to punch out and deploy.

Not sure about wearing Draeger system in conjunction with reserve.. Reserve is always used in training jumps but may be be omitted in operational missions if altitude dictates.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts