One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was digging out a jacket for the Indochina thread, I remembered that I had some examples of the uniform worn by Rhodesian forces. The pattern has been the subject of debate here before. Here's some shots of the real deal.

Bush jacket

It's cut like a field jacket, with four cargo pockets, reinforced elbows, and a pocket for several pens, pen flares, or whatever, on the left sleeve. You can see gathering at the waist, from an internal drawstring. It's actual weight is that of a sturdy tropical bush jacket.

Pants, left side

One cargo pocket, mid-leg, knees reinforced

Left cargo pocket detail

Right side,features

Seat of the pants, showing reinforcement

Shirt

Two smaller breast pockets, epaullettes. This shirt predominates pictures of Rhodesian soldiers in the field.

Rear view of shirt, showing pattern of camouflage.

The camouflage takes on variations of hue, even in relatively similar lighting conditions.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
ahhhhhhhhhhh Now get it washed & make sure you shrink it to 1/6th size....lol

That`s a Great set of Rhod cammo BDUs you have there PD :D

So what other little nicknacks does one have tucked away paray tell?? lol

Thank`s for sharing mate :D

ja
Steel Bonnet

·
OSW Pug Warrior
5,658 Posts
Good thing I don't do this period/region for my 1/6th bashes or I'd go nutz! Nice collection, please post the rest over a period of time when you can, I like to watch...

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Strangely enough, the example I had of Portugese camo differed in colors and some in pattern. It got "lifted", but I think I may have some pics of their camo.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What once was lost.....

One thing led to another, and I recovered the long-lost pics and re-posted them. Kudos to winkflash.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The Portuguese never used this pattern - their camouflage pattern of the period was a vertical 'lizard' pattern somewhat similar to the French. It came in two colours with the earlier one having more contrasting tones. I have examples of both and will post them when time permits.

·
Registered
545 Posts
... eons later. Here they are ...

Early 'Lizard Pattern' Portuguese Paratrooper smock. The French influence can clearly be seen - this garment virtually replicating the cut of the TAP Mle 1947/53 jump smock

Comparison between early and later Portuguese camouflage pattern. The later pattern jacket is not a para smock but appears to be an infantry model. I have also seen Infantry jackets 'airborne-ized' by adding press studs to the pocket flaps in the style of the jump smock.

Camouflage comparison from jackets rear

Complete suit in later 'Lizard' pattern camouflage. Note the distinctive 'Bigeard' combat cap which the Portuguese also inherited from the French. They also had their own designed combat cap which incorporated ear and neck flaps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts