One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Anyone know where I can find a South African M-83 Nutria vest for sale or a PLCE 95 in Desert DPM? I have seen crappy knockoffs from Cheaper Than Dirt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Picture taken at a Rhodesian Army Association exhibition in UK 2 years ago.

Eric
The Saint or Filupe,
do you guys have any info on those "sexy" black shorts.
Are they issue or just a civi pair?
I could use a pair with my Rhodesian display.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rhodesian OG uniform that was used by RhSAS and Selous Scouts during cross-border ops.

And finally (for the time being ;)), anti-tracking boots.

The OG uniform is awsome.

I know that members of MACV SOG used to put socks or rice sacks over their boots when operating close to the HCM Trail for the same reason.

·
Registered
545 Posts
This certainly is becoming a treasure trove of Rhod/Sth African militaria ...

As for the shorts .. I think the green ones with the elasticated waistband are probably issue, cannot comment on the black ones. Have also seen camo ones made as shorts .. not just cut down trousers.

Might have to pick up a pair at the local footy club .. or did they play 'rugger' ???

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
I have a brown/coyote tan vest i picked up 15 years ago which i was told was South African. It's seems to be the original 'Viper' one you see loads of camo colored ones you see in surplus shops now.

It has like 20+ pockets and pouches and seems to be one size fits all too. Will post pictures later. BTW at the time of purchase i was using it myself in the Armed forces so it has been modded slightly .

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
B2Z,
i would say that your vest is a genuine SA M83. The cheap copies that infest surplus stores and eBay are much more recent. BTW, the "brown/coyote tan" is called "nutria" in the SA Army.

Re-the black shorts, I think they were issue as well, as they appear from time to time alongside the OG ones in pictures. They have exactly the same cut (with one small internal pocket) as a pair of OG shorts in my collection.

Eric

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
B2Z,
i would say that your vest is a genuine SA M83. The cheap copies that infest surplus stores and eBay are much more recent. BTW, the "brown/coyote tan" is called "nutria" in the SA Army.
Are they worth much now ? I think i paid £20 ($40usd) from a Surplus Shop near the camp. The shop also had the bergen to match which was about 120lts in size. The shop also had them in black with black bergens but as we all know black isn't very good to use in the field so i chose the brown.

·
Registered
545 Posts

South African 'Slangvel' paratroopers jump smock - front view

South African 'Slangvel' paratroopers jump smock - rear view

South African 'Slangvel' paratroopers jump smock - tag

South African National Defence Force camo cold weather jacket

Zimbabwean chest rig

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
A book I've recently finished reading, André Diedericks' "Journey Without Boundaries", the story of a Recce officer in the 1970s and 1980s.

http://www.justdone.co.za/catalog/pr...roducts_id/141

If ever you want to purchase the book, be sure to order the SA version which has colour photographs, rather than the international version which has B&W photos (I've myself made the mistake).

41 - 60 of 87 Posts