21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
More lost pics returned to the fold

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I am starting to get into these conflict zones and nice pics here. Anyone know where I can find one of the S.A. vests outside of S.A. itself?

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Really nice stuff, filupe. Those last patterns are intriguing, and a onesix version of the camo jumpsuit would be a dream come true.

·
Registered
545 Posts
PD: Thanks - these pics are already a few years old, I have since obtained other items which need to be visually archived when time permits.

Saw249man: The SADF vests were marketed in the US during the mid-1980's for a limited time - I recall a small advert in the classified section of SOF Magazine. I do know they were manufactured in ALICE material, but I don't know whether they were US, SA or Asian made. A colour plate of a US Ranger wearing one exists on the cover of Osprey's Elite # 13 'US Army Rangers & LRRP units 1942-87'.
I have myself a version of this vest but in the pattern 83 SADF Nutria cordura - sourced in SA years ago.

South African 'Recce' vest, Pattern '83 version - front view

Rear view

Rhodesian 'Fireforce' assault vest - front view

Rear view - note difference in shape of upper pouch flaps - this was so one could be identified from the other at night.

Rhodesian soldiers from Support Commando of the Rhodesian Light Infantry (RLI) wearing Fireforce vest - note their youth

·
Requiescat In Pace
7,095 Posts
Those guys were like human hobnail boots.

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
In 83 and 84 I was in SA in a place called Secunda, which was built around the SASOL 2 and 3 plants which turned coal in to oil and gas.

The local Commando (i.e. militia or TA) unit used trials bikes - with clips on the handlebars to attach their Uzi's, which they fired on the move! Wish I'd taken some pics of them.

They were called out at least 3 times when I was there after Terrs launched rockets into the SASOL plants.

My own carry when I went in to Jo'burg was a 4" Colt Python.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
saw249man said:
I just ordered the book Fireforce from Chris Cocks and will be ordering the book The Saints soon as some reading material.
Good reading. Chris Cocks is a great bloke. He was very helpful when I wrote an article on the RLI for a French military history magazine some years ago. I had the chance to met him and his charming wife at the Launch of The Saints in London this late June, as well as many other veterans of the Bush War. They were all very friendly to that odd Froggy who had an interest in their combat. The Saints is a brilliant book, worth every penny (or cent).

May I suggest you purchase Dennis Croukamp 's book The Bush War in Rhodesia as well. A great personal memoir by a former RLI and Selous Scout operator.

Cheers
Eric

·
Registered
545 Posts
I suppose you know that Yves Debay, the noted french war journalist and regular contributor to both 'Raids' and 'Combat & Survival', is also ex-RLI?

·
Requiescat In Pace
7,095 Posts
Here's a nutty one, Bruce Grobelaar, Liverpooly FC goalkeeping legend and inventor of the famed 'Sapgehtti Legs' penalty saving technique, was a one time Selous Scout.

Attachments

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I worked with an electrician here in the midwest, who'd served in the RLI. Saw a copy of his commission, as well as that of his father's (Selous Scouts). He'd apparently taken a fair amount of ribbing for his half-Brit roots.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ah well, second or third hand sources - go figure! :shades

Below is some scans of a part of a very interesting article Military Illustrated did on South African Police camouflage some years ago ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
From my collection, Rhodesian Shirt and vest. Note the combat rank on the shirt sleeve.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts