One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
KUSA Kustomizer
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REVIEW: Medicom Metal Gear Solid 4 "Old Snake" Real Action Heroes Figure

A true disappointment if I must say so... :(

Though beautifully sculpted and well designed, poor execution, accessories, and articulation make this a figure to pass on...at least at retail price.

Read the full review HERE and check out the photo gallery HERE.

·
KUSA Kustomizer
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$175 plus shipping - that's what get me...

At most, it's worth maybe $145 or so...

I'm just hoping the Raiden comes out better as I have been dying to get my hands on him since I first saw both of these at Toy Fair 2007 -

·
KUSA Kustomizer
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got high hopes for the Raiden as i actually like this design of Raiden quite a bit - in fact, I'm really looking forward to seeing how players interact with Raiden in the game when it drops in June -

·
Toys. Tech. Design. Life.
556 Posts
I hope Raiden is good as he's the main reason I bought Solid Snake (hey, I wanted to display them as a pair ;-). I also have Darth Maul on the way so I hope I'm not disappointed with him (and his long neck).

·
KUSA Kustomizer
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's official: Medicom has stopped trying.
While I don't think this is completely true, I would agree they did on this one - I think they figured with a built in target market and sales demographic, the Old Snake would sell like hot cakes...sadly, it has as Sideshow is SOLD OUT of both Old Snake and Raiden and many retailers are out of their allocations as well - but it'll be interesting to see how many are returned because of some of QC issues (I've heard of some of the metal joints coming apart under the vinyl suit basically making it impossible to pose a joint).

It's funny because Medicom's RAH Spawn was literally a work of artistry and probably the best Spawn figure ever made...then we see a figure like Old Snake and it's not only disappointing, but frustrating because they're capable of so much more -

Again, I've still got high hopes for Raiden -- having seen what Raiden's capable of in this new game in the MGS4 trailers makes me like him even more than Snake, but if he's as bad as Snake, it's gonna be an even bigger disappointment than the Snake...

Anyhow - Medicom still does good stuff...it's just becoming rarer and rarer to find one that's worth their asking price...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Personally, I think the figure is worth having. No, it's not perfect... by any means, but I still think it's a great part of my collection. Aside from the bubbling shoulders, all I really have a problem with is the gear that comes with him, and the gear that does not come with him. Firstly, although correctly designed, his vest is completely the wrong color and poorly made, it's supposed to be TAN! (not black). his 1911 is supposed to be blackened with wood grips, not green. He also should have come with the little metal gear MKII for this price, and give the guy a pack of smokes for goodness sake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with Crowinghorse about Raiden. With MGS4, Snake doesn't even exist to me. Ive played MGS4 over an excessive amount of times just to get to Raiden's cameos. I've pre-ordered the 1:6 Raiden myself and wait in intense impatience for every day without recieving it the more he becomes my Holy Grail. Also, I pre-ordered from a shop owner in Asia over Ebay for $228. A little pricey but I feel it's worth it since unlike Snake, Raiden will be limited to only 3000 pieces!! That means around 28-2900 pieces for the public and then he'll be completely discontinued. PLUS I'll be recieving him 2 MONTHS before the US recieves it's shipments. So, for all of you Ive seen commenting that you're gonna wait to see the price go down, Im gonna hafta say if you want this awesome figure, I suggest you start rioting.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Old Snake's price is dropping like a brick. I feel bad for anyone who paid the original price for him. I've seen a lot of people have that rubber suit on old snake rip. Too bad too since the MGS3 Snake is one of the best pieces in my collection. A great figure.
As far as medicom Fist of the North Star stuff looks awesome. New Joker, not so much, or much of anything else they're doing. Their jagger is downright hideous.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Personally, I think the figure is worth having. No, it's not perfect... by any means, but I still think it's a great part of my collection. Aside from the bubbling shoulders, all I really have a problem with is the gear that comes with him, and the gear that does not come with him. Firstly, although correctly designed, his vest is completely the wrong color and poorly made, it's supposed to be TAN! (not black). his 1911 is supposed to be blackened with wood grips, not green. He also should have come with the little metal gear MKII for this price, and give the guy a pack of smokes for goodness sake.
I agree with you there. I have the Medicom Old Snake and although the figure is not perfect and it won't win the figure of the year award, it still does look good for a 12 inch representation of Old Snake as seen in the MGS4 game.

Yes, the articulation is limited due to the suit, but do you guys see sideshow or Hot Toys producing Old Snake? Unfortunately, no. So currently, the one from Medicom at this scale is the best you can have of Old Snake, even if it comes with its own flaws such as accessories and articulation etc.. No doubt, Old Snake stands proudly with my other figures and it sure looks good nonetheless knowing that I have a piece of Old Snake with his detailed looking OctoCamo suit as seen in MGS4...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was very disappointed to see the quality of the Old Snake.. The thigh joint and the left shin somehow broke after just a little meddling :brickwall

Indeed it's not perfect (by far), but it's worth having if you are MGS fan ^^ seeing the smaller ultra detail version of Old Snake with the big one side by side with the same pose is amusing :)

Raiden looks cool, but some of the wrist joints are loose, and can fall easily with a slight tug. It might only be just mine... and my poor luck.. The pins to clip the blade sheaths are kinda hard to clip onto the belt.

Btw, how do you clean the dust off the rubber suit? It gets a whole lot annoying after sometime.

·
Always Smilin'
116 Posts
I love Metal Gear Solid and when I saw this figure I felt very disappointed because it looks so cartoony and came with like no accessories (could have included the MKII, ss plug, cigarettes...). This was a great opportunity to release a great a great Solid Snake with movie military inspired gear and now that medicom has made it, no other company will. A Hot Toys Solid Snake would be awesome!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Medicom Metal Gear Solid 4 "Old Snake" Real Action Heroes Figure

did anyone ever try to open the rubber suit to see the inside? I am very afraid if the body inside the rubber suit is broken... that's gonna be very harddd to repair it... :knock

·
Registered
120 Posts
Re: REVIEW: Medicom Metal Gear Solid 4 "Old Snake" Real Action Heroes Figure

From what I can see, all the MGS figures are a bit of a let down.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts