Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Re: ACI/ACE/BBI/BS/CDM/DiD/DML/EB/GIJ/HT/IGN/ITPT/SS/SST/TC/TS/TRD/ZCWO Bodies

Hi guys, any reviews for the DAM body and Art Figures..
I'm sorry, but with so many new companies out there, and new bodies galore, I can't afford to buy all the bodies do the reviews on them. But I can tell you about the DAM body from pictures on the internet. It looks as though ACE is producing the bodies or they have an agreement with ACE, because their bodies look strangely enough like ACE Mk-1.

As far as Art Figures, it looks as if their bodies are straight from the SS line with the exception of the feet hook up.

Both bodies are fine, IF THEY'RE MADE BY SS & ACE.

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Well...this was not my intention when I first started this thread, but it turn out everybody wants to see what fits where. I would greatly appreciate if someone who has figures could tell me what fits where.. Your name will be included on the first page. I will try my hardest to get them into the thread, but most (about 90%) of my figures are in storage right now, therefore I don't have them readily available right now, so I can't inform the readers.

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Found some more body comparison on the net as well as my take on the new HT TTM19.

NEW! 12\" Figure Body Types by 187_Maul
On page 1, insert or reply 2.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1018945/

NEW! 1/6 scale Obitsu body size chart
http://parabox.jp/eng_new/obitsu/27size_chart.html

NEW!1/6 (Sixth Scale) Bodies for Bashing, Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 by Shaun
http://testicular-fortitude.blogspot...r-bashing.html

NEW! HT TTM19 Muscular Body Version 3/3.5/4.5/4/4.5: Wow! Talk about head movement. I think this figure's head movements closely replicates a real human head! He is a muscle figure, therefore he is less posable. The old TT bodies can be articulated into 38 positions, this one say 30, now whether he does or doesn't I don't know, but I think his head is accounting for a lot of the 30. One thing I have to say are their hands are much more user friendly. If you have ever tried to put gloves on the older HT hands, IT WAS A B*TCH! Not anymore! I got my gloves on in less than 3 minutes! I don't have any negatives to say about the body. Maybe that the skin tone of the figure is nice, but it has a matte finish on it. It's like getting out of the tub in winter and not putting lotion on the body. Very dry skin. Other than that, I would have to say I like it, not love it, just like it! The hand pegs should fit the fat stubby ones, or HT hand pegs.

·
Figure Dissector
2,041 Posts
Re: ACI/ACE/BBI/BS/CDM/CM/DiD/DML/EB/GIJ/HT/IGN/ITPT/SI/SS/SST/TC/TS/TRD/ZCWO Bo

Hi folks,

Stumbled across this awesome information repository while searching the net. Have been trying to fix the knees on my Hot Toys regular TT (the v1 Joker one). Can someone please guide as to which other body's knees can be replaced with the HT reg. TT, other than the Barrack Sergeant one? The DAM toys' knees look quite similar, but I am not too sure.

Appreciate any help.
Discussions/DYI options:
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...n/253915-one-way-fix-hot-toys-knee-joint.html

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Re: ACI/ACE/BBI/BS/CDM/CM/DiD/DML/EB/GIJ/HT/IGN/ITPT/SI/SS/SST/TC/TS/TRD/ZCWO Bo

Evilalive Took these pictures awhile back and share for your interest. (these are not Crusader1xxx pictures)

[

Latest Ada body with exchanged of upper torso

Others true type

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,538 Posts

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts

Clones....

I have been meaning to write this for sometime. It really is just an update to our thread on bodies but thought Id write it with regards to the plethora of bodies on the market.

I have chosen 7 bodies to showcase. All are very similar and share their roots with the now famous Hot Toys True type body. Hot Toys released this body back in about 2009 and has been their main body type ever since.

But to better understand the state of the hobby (as it pertains to bodies) as I know it a little back ground is needed.

All bodies are pretty much made the same way. There is a design created, it could be clay, sculpty etc or any other material that can stand the molding process. (I am not getting into 3D rendering etc).
This body is then broken down into its individual parts, molds of either steel or aluminum are created and then plastic is injected into these molds to create the part. The parts are then assembled and the body is complete. In a nut shell that's it. There is a bit more to it but that goes beyond the scope of this topic.

One thing to get you head wrapped around is very few companies have a proprietary body of their own. Most relay on molds all ready created, hence the reason most bodies today...
A. look the same, and B. have no company logo on them.

So when looking to buy a body, don't get to hung up on the name attached to it.

Factories:
First and foremost, there are only a few factory's (not companies) that can make a complete body. That is taking a design from drawing to a completed packaged item. From my personal experience, talking to experts in the field and drawing on information learned, there is only about 4 or so factories doing this. All are located in China. All are hard to deal with if you don't speak the language, and or not willing to travel to meet with them in person. Lets call them Factory A, B,C & D.

Factory A - is the one most companies (like Hot Toys, Dam etc) want to use. They are the experts. They have made bodies in the past, use good plastic and have a high quality control unit in place. They also cost the most and its hard to get a time slot. The big players probably get their bodies from here, whether or not the factory or the company holds the molds is another story. Again the big players probably have time slots booked already or have enough stock to last a few years in advance. The only time they would have to go back is if they are changing body design or need more stock. The other advantage of factory A is that they probably won't steal your design.

Factory B - like A can take a body from design to completion. They use good plastic (when asked and paid extra for) and have good to above average quality control. Most of the other "companies" get their bodies here. Time slots are more available then Factory A. design security is a risk.

Factory C - like A&B can make a body from design to completion. They are a cheaper alternative. Quality control is hit or miss. Security is a big risk. Plastic is sub-par. Time slots are available when you need them.

Factory D - Ok, this is the factory that can make a body for you but might not have any experience doing so. They can make a mold for you and inject the plastic. You might want to assemble the body yourself or you could be asking for a lot of fitment issues. They might not use the best plastic as well. Their is no security to your design and it will probably show up on eBay a few months after you get your order. They would be the cheapest out of the bunch, but you get what you pay for here.

Ok, so now you know a little bit about how a body gets made and how the different factories come into play. The next time you buy a body with really nice tight joints, no seem lines etc...chances are it came from Factory A, like wise if you get a body like the WolfKing one (as you will see) probably came from C or D.

Bodies:
Now on to the bodies. I have chosen these 6 as they are a good Representative for the industry. All are very similar and its hard to tell them apart at first glance. I would say other then the COO body, most were made in factory B or C due to a number of quality control issues. In my opinion here are the strengths and weakness overall of these bodies.

Strengths:
Very Articulate
Good proportions
Swap ability (head & hands etc)
Clothing fits well
ability to tighten leg joints
Cost

Weakness:
Joints (sometimes)
Ankle design (ball and socket) (my pet peeve)
Interchangeability (parts fitting)
Availability of all parts (sold with out hands, feet & neck connectors)
Quality Control

So from Left to Right we have the following:
WolfKing, D & K Workshop, Mini Times, Redmen, Toys Power, Coo Models

Wolfking.
This is by far one of the strangest bodies I have bought. The shoulders have an odd attachment point. It is a ball and socket, which on the 3 I have were all loose due to splits at the joint seem. Also the bicep area of the arm seems to be molded the wrong way. When the arm is rotated to where it should be if one was doing a front bicep curl, the bicep, (largest part of the arm) pushes towards the body making the arms stick out and not hang naturally along side the body. (see picture). All of the bodies I had, had seem issues where there was either not enough glue or no glue to hold them together. Other then the shoulder joints, the waste and legs with nice and tight. Feet are one a one piece design and small.
I would give this body a C+ and the 3 I have will probably be sitting in my body box for a long time. That is not to say that Wolfking should be written off body wise. I have a number of bodies from them which were excellent (very similar to the Very Cool bodies out there) where the joints were properly made, nice and tight with almost no seem lines.
If I had to guess, this body might be either one of their first released bodies, (even though I just bought it a month ago) or they have switched molds. Their next release (newest) will tell the story.

D & K Work Shop
This is one company I never heard of before their release of the IDF figure. I bought one complete body as it was cheap and decided to buy another as I kind of liked the body. The first one I got had nice tight joints, almost no open seem lines and even the ankles were decent. The 2nd one not so much. Open seem lines on the calf's, & forearms. Both easy fixes but unnecessary. These have a proper Shoulder attachment joint, properly aligned arms and articulated feet. These also have the longest arms of the bunch. Something to be mindful of when putting cloths on.
Joints on my first one were all nice and tight and moved smoothly. 2nd one I have to pull the legs off and tighten the screws. I give it a solid B.

Mini Times
Another sort of newcomer, their body is another "clone" and very similar to the others on this list. The one I have has nice tight joints, good QC and smooth seem lines. Shoulder are very tight though. The one I bought came with the boots and gloves as shown. B+

Redman
Another sort of new'ish company that has produced some nice figures. This body is a really nice "clone" body with tight joints all round, good QC with no open seem lines and smooth movements. I really like this one for no other reason then it feels like a good quality body. The ones I have came with hands but no feet. Solid A.

Toys Power
Must be an off shoot of another brand, having only made 2 figures so far. I have 3 bodies and all of them broke at the waist the minute I tried to bend them. I was able to fix them but really? All 3. They also have a larger shoulder area and arm area. Almost bordering on Muscle body territory. One thing to watch out for is the neck ball. This one is incredibly small, and most necks and adapters on the market will not fit this. Unless you get the adapter with the body, I would stay away from this one. If they didn't break, I would have given this body a solid B+ (due to the strange size of the neck ball) but since they did, I have to give it a C-.

COO Models
I have to say when I received my very first COO models body, I was surprised by the weight of it. It is by far the heaviest body I have felt. Since then I have been steadily impressed by them. Their 2nd version of this body has shown me that there are at least one company that knows how to make bodies. The ones I have ( I have at least 12 of them, with a split of 9 first release and 3 2nd release) the joints are nice and tight. Move smoothly and have no splits or large joint lines. QC is excellent. My only grip is that they do not have a relaxed grip hand set with the carded version. These are also the only body to have a cod type piece or bump in the groin area. I know a few companies that are using this body including QMX, Play toy and possible Pop toys. Best way to spot this one on the after market is the cod area. Very distinctive. I give them an A+. (they also do a muscle body).

The next body which really is not a "clone" of anything but I thought Id talk about it anyway is the Easy & Simple body. This is a Proprietary body in that the body is stamped in the back "for Easy & Simple".

Easy & Simple
It is by far the most articulated body I have ever come across. It has areas that move (the hip connector, neck post) that to me are unnecessary in a body. It is also a larger body in the arm and shoulder area. Again almost muscle body arena. The ones I have (2) were some of the 1st ones released and suffer from loose joints. I have tired to tighten them with little success. It is my understanding that the newest ones have had this fixed. I took and chance on these (as they were super cheap $4.99 each) and am using one for my (Fury) figures. I would love to have one of the newer ones in hand to see just how much tighter the joints are as this could be a very solid body for people looking for max articulation. For my two I have to give it a B- due to the loose joints but due to the price I paid.

There you have it, 6 bodies, very similar in appearance, size, articulation and cost. I bought mine loose from the various on-line vendors, ranging in price from $4.99 to $12.99. less feet, head and in some cases the posts for those.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.