One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
AKA Silent G
637 Posts
Hey Everybody,

So I got my Play Toy body on Monday of last week and this is my review.

The body comes with two sets of hands (Relaxed and Tight Grip - This is nice in that they realized that not everybody wants hands that are strictly for firearms), two neck posts and spare head insert cups (One Hot Toys ball style and one arrow shaped one for Takara CG / etc. type heads.), two pairs of feet (flat and arched.)

(Ignore the black nob on the neck post in this picture. The figure I received came with two of the same post, so I just added a vinyl peg cover like I do to mod other bodies for HT heads with.)

So I'll start with the quality. These bodies are very well made with high quality materials. Good Silicone, PVC, and ABS and all nicely blended to a relatively uniform skin tone. The joints are tight, but as you will see further along in my review, that the ball and socket joints are quite easily accessible to tighten more if the purchaser so chooses (I did this myself in a few spots with low temp hot glue.).

Poseability is on par with the Kumik. The only loss of ROM would be in the neck due to the thickness of the vinyl. You will have some trouble getting your heads to look up. You may loose some ROM in the neck but you gain it at the ankles thanks to the upgrade from the Kumik ball post with no gap to Takara style ankle cups.

The body is very modular and as you can see comes apart without much effort:

The only part I didn't break down was the legs. I pulled on them pretty good, but they weren't coming so I didn't force them.

The skin tone is the "In" skin tone for the fem fig market right now and that would be the pinky / pale that Hot Toys started. So you can guess that most all Hot Toys and clone heads will match these. Skin tone matching is obviously something that varies from person to person, some people are more picky than others.

So here is a body and skin tone comparison:

L-R: Play Toy, Kumik, Hot Toys True Type Caucasian, Triad Alpha Caucasian, Takara CG 2.0 Electra Mid Tone, TTL, Takara CG 2.0 Midori, ZC Eve.

Various head comparisons:

Hot Toy Iron Man II Black Widow (This head is the recipient of the body)

Clone of Hot Toys Avengers Black Widow with blonde hair

Clone Hot Toys Dark Knight Rises Catwoman

Fashion Royalty Living Dangerously Kyori

Triad Toys Natasha (This is the Triad Toys Alpha Caucasian skin tone)

Barbie Fashion Fever Gillian

TTL Caucasian skin tone

Triad Toys Lola (Triad Toys Otaku Caucasian skin tone)

As I mentioned above, anything made in the Hot Toys skin tone will be a perfect match. I also found that certain Fashion Royalty skin tons such as Kyori's here are a perfect match as well. Most all other heads are going to be off by some. Either lighter, warmer, or pinker generally. It will all boil down to personal preference how well they match for your taste. As for mounting the various heads... the body includes the two different neck posts. The neck size will accommodate just about every head I tried, only a few will either need modification to the post itself or in some cases such as deep socket heads like some Triad ones, you may need to put some sort of spacer in to avoid them having a bull neck.

I would like to see hopefully that future iterations of this body go back to double jointed elbows just as even HT did with their bodies that this is closely based off of.

Overall I like these bodies and will get more for several HT heads I have that need bodies still. They do cost about $15 shipped more than a Kumik shipped, but quality I feel it was worth it for the improvements.

·
AKA Silent G
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Play Toy Body Review

Zondi - The knees can be turned at the hip and face outward about 45 degrees... they do mimic the human body. There is a double internal ball joint in the leg / hip. The small hip joint ball seats into it and then that larger ball seats into the thigh.

k4rd0n - For matching pistol grip hands you'll have to just check ebay and keep an eye out for HT ones from other figures. You can just take a knife and separate the trigger finger on the hands it comes with to use them with a firearm too.

Nav - The breasts are slightly off... the one nipple / areola on the left side is a hair higher than the right.

BeastX - The breasts on the XL are solid silicone lol... nothing filling them out but that.

·
Figure Dissector
2,041 Posts

Zondi - The knees can be turned at the hip and face outward about 45 degrees... they do mimic the human body. There is a double internal ball joint in the leg / hip. The small hip joint ball seats into it and then that larger ball seats into the thigh.

https://flic.kr/p/9
k4rd0n - For matching pistol grip hands you'll have to just check ebay and keep an eye out for HT ones from other figures. You can just take a knife and separate the trigger finger on the hands it comes with to use them with a firearm too.

Nav - The breasts are slightly off... the one nipple / areola on the left side is a hair higher than the right.

BeastX - The breasts on the XL are solid silicone lol... nothing filling them out but that.

https://flic.kr/p/2
I'll just add that the hips are a direct copy of HT's and That the soft parts are (should be) just PVC not silicone....

I ran particle analysis on HT's (not Play Toys) and the component present are Chlorine.... no Silicone (Si) present.

·
AKA Silent G
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thank you very much for sharing, this is very helpful!
Is this body comparable to the TTL body in terms of durability? I'm looking for a female body for a fully clothed figure (so the realistic-ness doesn't really factor to me), and the TTL body was the cheapest female body I could find on ebay, but wasn't sure about the durability... Any help appreciated, thanks!
I would say it is more durable than a TTL. I like the TTL, but it does have it's flaws in the strength of the joints. Taking a shelf dive probably would break a TTL in several places. This body would most likely pop apart and be easily reassembled. It's twice the cost but worth it.

·
Guardian of Hades
1,558 Posts

Damn, do you even get any movement at all?
You get some extra movement by pulling up the jean's leg a little higher, but you can completely forget the sitting position.
They are definately "suck your tummy in to fasten" jeans, that's for sure.
IMHO the pants from MC Toys "Tactical Hoodie" set, are the only pants that I'm sure would fit her butt okay.

But after looking at her rubber butt design, I don't see why Play Toy made it so big???
Most of the rubber material doesn't need to be there and her bum could easily have been made smaller.

As far as I can tell, the only real problem with this figure, is finding female pants tailored big enough in the buttocks region to fit their body.

I hope Play Toy will release a newer version with down-sized butt sometime in the near future, because I would definately buy them.

·
Guardian of Hades
1,558 Posts

I think the MC toy sets are geared towards that KUMIK body.
Their newer stuff is.
But I remember all the fuss some people made about those black tactical pants being over-sized in the butt and waist.

But the ZY Toys jean sets have two versions available, skinny and regular fit.
This is the "bigger" regular fit jeans on one of my partly-finished WIP that's using the medium bust Play Toy body.

They look nice as skinny jeans but you seriously pay for it with less movement.

·
AKA Silent G
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Actually... decent female boots are not as hard to find as most people think... Soldier Story's molded boots, like their gloves, tend to be a nice in between size that can work with both male and female figures:

These are the boots from the one Ranger. SS also makes these in black and they came with the FBI CIRG.

Compared to Sideshow Boots.

If you are using an Alpha, the ankle pegs will fit right in.

You may need to drill out the holes a little larger depending on what body you are using. The Kumik body needed the drilling to accept the posts on that body. The opening for the ankle is wide enough as well to allow a good range of movement.

The only zipper front boots I know of would be the ones from HT Jill Valentine... and those, well they aren't so easy to get.

·
Guardian of Hades
1,558 Posts

Unfortunately, the answer is "it depends." As far as brands go, I've had good luck with using Toy Soldier male-sized boots on female figures, and I've seen quite a few bashes using the old TTL Merrill mountain boots too. I've also had good luck with the Soldier Story desert Oakley assault boots and ACE black jungle boots (though the look of the black boots may be an optical illusion).

It also depends on the figure you're using. I have a Lady Jaye bash built off a small-busted Triad Alpha and the Eva headsculpt, and the Triad Alpha feet are too big to fit in the Hot Toys boots that Cerebus provided the photos for above. Had to bump her up to the male boots, but they don't look too bad to my eye. I also found that old ZC-style female-sized work boots are barely big enough for a Phicen-sized foot, which surprised me a bit.

I will echo Cerebus' complaint about the general lack of quality female-sized flat-heeled footwear, though.
Believe it or not, but the best feet that fit those female Hot Toys boots are actually the ancient and very common CY/ZC Girl type "High-heeled" feet.
The boots seems to be higher inside at the heel and lower down at the toes, so an arched foot fits them perfectly.

Normal flat female feet are a struggle to fit inside those boots but heeled feet just slip inside them with ease. - And I have a lot of those high-heeled feet left over as spares.

G

·

I have acquired two. The one criticism is the fact that the head won't look upwards...I mean, what if the poor girl needs to look up at a plane, or something?

That's a shame that it's broken, and perhaps a little alarming for me. I've had a Triad Eva fall about a five feet onto some rocks at the beach and be just fine.

·
Registered
201 Posts

I have acquired two. The one criticism is the fact that the head won't look upwards...I mean, what if the poor girl needs to look up at a plane, or something?

That's a shame that it's broken, and perhaps a little alarming for me. I've had a Triad Eva fall about a five feet onto some rocks at the beach and be just fine.
You can get more neck movement by removing the half collar piece they copied from Hot Toys Alice. It's a spacer that's wrapped around the neck post that can be popped out if you pry the rubber back.

G

·

You can get more neck movement by removing the half collar piece they copied from Hot Toys Alice. It's a spacer that's wrapped around the neck post that can be popped out if you pry the rubber back. Yesterday 10:25
that is a brilliant tip! Really works! Now she looks up as well! Promblem solved thanks

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Re: Play Toy Body Review-Female Figure Bodies -Here

ok, cleaned up this thread and stuck it too the top. this thread will be used like the male body thread for those wishing or wanting to write reviews of female bodies.

I have closed this thread but if you want to do a review or know of one that should be here, pm me and I will open it up

Andy

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: Play Toy Body Review-Female Figure Bodies -Here

I thought I would compare the articulation of the female figure bodies that I have in a few poses that I want to do. I shot them over a couple of days hence the light changes as I never intended to do anything with the shots exept keep reference for myself but thought other members might find it useful. A couple of poses may be missing per figure type .

The figures used are

Lady's Mission
Triad Alpha Small Bust
Sideshow 'Willow'
Hot Toys Alice
TTL Small Bust 1.0
PlayToy Small Bust S001
ZC World
Obitsu Soft Bust 27cm
Kumik 1.0

Below is a example of the comparison, showing sitting legs crossed. The Hot Toys Alice and the PlayToy can do the exact same poses, so I have shown the two different poses capable, one with each.

Lady's Mission

Triad Alpha

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Hot Toys Alice

TTL Small Bust 1.0

Sideshow ArtB (Willow)

ZC World

Obitsu Soft Bust 27cm

PlayToy S001

Kumik 1.0

I have 8 different poses at the below link to my online album
Black Widow pose
Crawling
Crouching
Maximum Elbow bend
One Knee with handgun
Sitting Legs Crossed
Sitting foot on knee
Sitting legs to the side

https://picasaweb.google.com/111708242919010588116/16FemalePoses?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJK9x7qqkJD4lQE&feat=directlink

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Very cool 1.0

OK, This is Fire-Team-six's Review NOT MINE. It was the only way to post it here so please, the credit goes to FTS...

Here is my review of the new upcoming 1:6 female base bodies from VeryCool Toys. I received these as a courtesy based on a design feedback I provided them when they were first unveiled here at OSW.

Comparison of bust sizes Large (L) and Medium (R)

The bodies I received came in plastic bags in terms of the minimalist approach to packaging. The packaging simple lists the company info and which version of the 6 types of body in the assortment is inside. Inside the main bag is the body and a smaller bag containing all the accessories to the body.

After opening and playing with the bodies for a bit, here is my analysis / review of them in terms of pros and cons.

PROS:

The uniformity between the ABS & vinyl materials is great resulting in extremely good color on the body. These bodies are available in three skin tones. Pale, Caucasian, and Tan.

The body comes with 11 hands. From my understanding, only the first release of the bodies will include the black gloved hands. The normal eight hands (four matching posed pairs - fists, relaxed, tight grip, & pistol grip) are really nice inclusion.

The body comes with three neck connection options. Two are the screw on post styles (Hot Toys style ball & Cy Girl style cone) that mount to the neck that comes installed in the body. The third one is a completely separate post. You'll need to remove the current post to install it. This one is for the HT style ball sockets. I honestly have no idea why it is included. I'm guessing it could have been a production leftover after they decided to go with the screw on adapters.

The body comes with two pairs of feet (flat & arched) as well as a pair of double ball posts & posts for using with foot options like HT's Ada Wong or Babydoll (straight post into foot). These posts are also nice for offering a customizing base for other types of foot options.

The joints are decently firm, but not rock solid; however, they'll hold most poses fine.

The range of motion (ROM) on the bodies is very good in terms of what is generally expected with these styles of bodies.

Comparison to other bodies on the market: L-R VeryCool 1.0, Play Toy 1.0, Takara Cy Girls 2.0 Clone, Triad Toys Alpha, Flirty Girl Collectibles 1.0, and Hot Toys True Type 1.0.

Direct comparison to Play Toy

Smaller butt compared to the Play Toy 1.0 which is much better for clothing options.

CONS:

The bodies rattle a bit. This isn't from the joints, but from the limb sections. It's specifically from the legs. The body is relatively modular and constructed like most female base bodies we've seen of late; however, the fit of the calf to the knee to the thigh doesn't have a tight tolerance of a HT or PT body and this is what specifically causes the rattle. This provides a perception that the body is cheap; however, it's not.

When the upper torso is moved back & forth, there is an unpleasant under bust gap. In comparison, the Play Toy body's lower torso goes further up and under the bust so when the body is posed it doesn't open up into the interior. The VeryCool female body does not. When it's posed identically, it shows large gaps. This is unaesthetic and is a design flaw that needs to be addressed and resolved by VeryCool.

As previously mentioned, the joints are firm, but they're not solid. This may cause some problems in order for the body to properly stand on its own when kitted out or holding objects with weight. The ankle sockets could have been tighter.

The wrist posts are styled similar to Hot Toys. The post that goes into the forearm is nearly identical however the peg that goes into the hand is a bit smaller and longer than a current Hot Toys / Play Toy style peg and this makes those hands loose (and I am sure others) loose on them. Also the post doesn't like to come out of the forearm. When you try and remove the hands the post comes part of the way out but then doesn't like to go any further without some serious pulling then when you go to push it back in you have to fiddle with it some to get it seated properly again. As most of you know, the more you have to push and pull on a joint, the more stress it receives and the more likely it will be to have breakage issues down the road.

Despite the fantastic assortment of hands for the body they aren't as soft a plastic as I would personally have liked (basing this off the hands that have come with Hot Toys / Play Toy bodies). They slip on and off their posts with a little effort but due to being not as soft this over time may cause additional wear to the socket / peg but mostly just makes it a pain for the figure holding certain accessories. This problem is remedied easily by heating the hand in water or with a hairdryer (as noted on its packaging).

OVERALL THOUGHTS:

To me this body is another nice addition to the market. Between the outstanding color uniformity between materials, numerous accessories, and double jointed elbows after a spate of bodies with only single jointed ones makes this body a worthwhile choice for further purchases by myself despite the cons in my opinion. The price point for these bodies is supposed to be between $25-$30.

My first use of the bodies was the caucasian skin tone which went to rebodying my Hot Toys Suckerpunch Babydoll head from her former Play Toy 1.0 body.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Play toy 2.0

They look to have double jointed elbows (yay), sculpted stomach area and a smaller rear. They also now come in four bust sizes, small, medium, large and extra large.

Small

Medium

Large

Extra Large

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Flirty Girl 2.0 Body Review

Thanks to EDWICK for this review
Got my Flirty Girl Collectibles 2.0 base body in, and threw it in the lightbox for a quick comparison against the 1.0 body. The 1.0's were a bit of a disappointment to me, since the excellent build quality was hampered by really limited articulation in the elbow and a weird ankle joint. The rather prominent bust size also made clothing a bit challenging. One of these issues has been fixed in the 2.0, one left alone, and one made worse (at least on this base body).

I'm going to be doing more shots of the 2.0 in articulation tests (using the standard set of poses defined by Alastair Murray), and comparing it to the Verycool female base body as well. Watch this space.

For reference, my original 1.0 body review photo set is over here, and my 2.0 review set is over here.

Flirty Girl 2.0 Body
by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Flirty Girl's new v2.0 body is on the left, and the original 1.0 is on the right. The changes between the two are in the arms and the bustline. The arms have received a bicep cut and a double-jointed elbow vs. the 1.0, and the bust size is visibly bigger. This new body was first used for FGC's licensed "Crimson" figure, so the extra-large sized bust matches Crimson's actress Bianca Beauchamp.

A Hot Toys Jessica Biel head is on the new figure, because it was the first one I could find that fit the neck peg. A Phicen head is on the 1.0.

Flirty Girl 2.0 Body

Close-up of the two base bodies, which really emphasizes the difference in bust size and also clearly shows the differences in the arm articulation.

As with the 1.0 bodies, the entire body is hard plastic (vs. the rubber torsos on most other female base bodies like the ones from Play Toy, Kumik, and Verycool).

Flirty Girl 2.0 Body Elbow Joint

The double-jointed elbow works as advertised. It's a slightly "clicky" joint, but moves easily enough. It has the same build quality as the rest of the figure (which remains one of the most solidly built 1/6 female base bodies I've ever handled).

The 1.0 elbow articulation is just sad in comparison.

Flirty Girl 2.0 Body Bicep Joint

Both FGC bodies have sideways arm rotation, but the 2.0 has a new bicep joint while the 1.0 hid that rotating joint at the elbow. The slight loss in aesthetics is more than compensated by the articulation, since the 1.0 arm gets in its own way and pushes the arm lower than you might want it to.

Flirty Girl 2.0 Body Pistol Shooting Pose

The added elbow articulation makes getting into a reasonable shooting posture possible. The limit is on the upper arm, which can't cross in front of her body.

Flirty Girl 2.0 Body Rifle Shooting Pose

Flirty Girl 2.0 Body Rifle Carry Pose

A good rifle shooting post is just not possible with the 1.0, but is really easy with the 2.0. The major limits are the lack of neck articulation to get proper sighting. And a really, really stiff stock that doesn't want to extend to get a better stock-to-shoulder weld, but that's Soldier Story's problem.

Flirty Girl Base Body with Magic Cube Female Shooter Set

For contrast, this is the best I could manage for the 1.0 in a shooting pose. Not bad from this angle, but the rifle is well away from her body if you swing to the front.

This does also show one other problem I have with these bodies. The good news is that the ankle cup is redesigned to look much better than the Takara Cool Girl socket that was the standard for the longest time (and is still used on the Phicen bodies up to the 4.0 version). However, the new design also means you get very little articulation in the ankle. She's actually slightly off that left ankle in this pose, and you are limited in how wide apart you can plant the legs without risking a face plant. This hasn't changed in the 2.0 body.

The 2.0 base body is a definite improvement over the 1.0, keeping most of the aesthetics while improving articulation tremendously. The FGC body also remains one of the most solidly built 1/6 base bodies I've seen. My two problems with this iteration are the bust size and the ankle joints. The bust on this specific base body is enormous. Though it's not as Russ Myers-sized as the Play Toys XXL body, it's still bigger than I really have much use for. I look forward to the smaller-sized ones, but I'm sure the endowment of this figure will be a selling point.

The ankles are the same as the 1.0, which look very good but have very little flexibility that makes deep stances a bit harder. I'm not sure how much extra can be added without losing the aesthetic, though. The only solution I can think of is a swappable ankle cup: one for articulation and one for appearance.

For completeness, some highlights from the 1.0 photo review, which I never got to posting anywhere for a bunch of dumb reasons.

Flirty Girl Collectibles Base Body Colors

(left to right): Pale skintone with Phicen pale headsculpt, tan skintone with Triad Toys headsculpt, and "Hot Toys tan" skintone with a Hot Toys Abigail Whistler head.

Base Body Comparison: Takara, Flirty Girl, and Triad Toys

(left to right): A Takara Cool Girl base body with Destiny head, a Flirty Girl base body with Phicen head, and a Triad Alpha with a Triad toys head, for comparison. The Triad Alpha and Cool Girl body easily have more flexibility than the FGC, mostly because the FGC elbow doesn't bend past 90-degrees.

Flirty Girl Base Body with Magic Cube Female Shooter Set

Modeling the Magic Cube tan female shooter set.

Flirty Girl Base Body with Flirty Girl Clothing Set

Not much of a surprise, but the FGC body fits their own clothing sets pretty well. Leg articulation is pretty good.

Flirty Girl Base Body with POP Toys Suit

The shirt on the POP Toys pantsuit set had a problem with fitting on anything larger busted than a small-bust TTL figure. The bust on the FGC body is quite large, so this shirt will not do at all. In fact, none of the dress shirts I tried would fit this body.

Flirty Girl Base Body with Verycool Suit

The Verycool "Elegant Lady" set fits pretty well, although the large bust means the jacket won't close. The heeled feet are from TTL, and fit perfectly in the ankle sockets.

Flirty Girl Base Body with Anne Hathaway Dark Knight Rises Head

The Abigail Whistler head I use for most skin tone tests with bodies fits the FGC body perfectly, but the more recent Anne Hathaway head sits way too high on the neck peg. This side profile shot shows how high the head rides. I think the punch line is that Hot Toys heads may or may not be completely compatible with this body, but you're not really going to know until you get it. I'd also pin this more on HT than FGC, but the question is kind of academic in the end anyway.

Flirty Girl Base Body with Magic Cube Combat Maid Set

The Flirty Girl tan body modeling the Magic Cube Combat Maid set. I popped the feet off their pegs, and then just shoved the peg and ankle into the boot and tied them tight. Seemed to work OK, though you have to be careful in posing the figure.

Headsculpt by Phicen, rifle by ZY Toys.

Unfortunately, the very large FGC bust means you're not closing the back all the way. Not even close.

The boots are beautiful -- well made, well tailored and very authentic looking. It's a shame that the ankle peg sockets make them all but unusuable.

An attempt to get in a reasonable shooting posture. No chance at a lying down pose with the arms. This is the best you get, though I was a little surprised at how little the legs wanted to cooperate with me here. She's also way off on the sights.

Flirty Girl Base Body Jungle Queen

The intention for these bodies was to favor exposing skin over articulation, so I threw on one of Sithlord MacGyver's "jungle queen" bikinis to see how it looked.

I'm not sure I quite accept the explanation. A Phicen body will look better than this, and oddly enough can have better articulation in some poses. It seems like this body has given the worst of both worlds -- exposed joints with less articulation. It just seems like there are too many compromises made in this body. The 2.0 at least improves the articulation, but I'd almost prefer one body for full clothing sets and articulation and one for more skin. Triad Toys tried this a while ago with the Otaku body vs. the Alpha body, though both were undone by problems in production (the Otaku broke easily; the swappable limbs on the Alpha tended to fall off). The FGC seems to be an Otaku body that works, though I'm still not 100% sold on it just yet.

More can be found here: http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...ase-body-photo-review-plus-1-0-leftovers.html

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Phicen "hot toys" tan body review

Thanks Again to EDWICK for this review:

Finally got my Phicen "Hot Toys tan" seamless body into the lightbox for a photo review. Not very heavy, since it's the same body as the earlier medium-bust. As always, click any photo to see larger versions or visit the Flickr album for a few more photos and commentary.

Phicen "Hot Toys Tan" Seamless Medium-Bust Body by edwick, on Flickr

Full body shot of the Phicen "Hot Toys Tan" medium bust seamless body. This has the latest and greatest body design, so if you've read my comments about the medium-bust bodies, they all apply to this one as well.

Phicen Seamless Body Skin Tone Comparison Shot by edwick, on Flickr

Comparison shot of all 4 skin tones and all 3 bust sizes that Phicen has offered to date. From left-to-right: "Hindu"/dark skinned small-bust, Hot Toys tan medium-bust, tan small-bust, and pale large bust. You can tell a bit easier here that the dark skin tone figure and the Hot Toys tan figure have the same headsculpt.

Phicen "Hot Toys Tan" Seamless Medium-Bust Body with Flirty Girl Headsculpt by edwick, on Flickr

My guess was that the Flirty Girl Adventurer headsculpt (which bears an entirely coincidental resemblance to a well-known actor, I'm sure) would be a dead-on match for the Hot Toys tan skin tone, but it turns out that it's just a little lighter than the HT tan but a little darker than the regular Phicen tan.

I think it'll also match Takara tan skintones on figures like Harley and Kat, but I haven't had time to grab a loose headsculpt and check.

Phicen "Hot Toys Tan" Seamless Medium-Bust Body with Hot Toys Headsculpt by edwick, on Flickr

Phicen "Hot Toys Tan" Seamless Medium-Bust Body with Hot Toys Headsculpt by edwick, on Flickr

Unsurprisingly, actual Hot Toys headsculpts are an exact match to this skintone. This is the Jessica Biel headsculpt from the Blade 3 Abigail Whistler figure. If not for the sculpted hair, I'd have snagged tons of them.

And, because I can't do one of these things without making a Phicen do something crazy:

This is a yoga pose I swiped from a recent Athleta catalog. The left leg may have been the hardest thing I ever got a Phicen to do, since it required moving the hip joint up AND out, and twisting the thigh joint to get the leg into alignment.

Getting a Phicen into a split isn't anything too special, since I've done it before. This is just the first time I've ever done it without showing off edges of my lightbox.

First time I've managed to get one in a full handstand (and using the Jessica Biel head meant it was easier to show how high off the ground her head is). No Photoshopping and no tricks -- the last shot puts a figure in the background to show she's not leaning on anything, and she was stable enough to stay balanced long enough for multiple photos.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Phicen fire red rose review

Finally got my photo review together for the Phicen Fire Red Rose boxed figure. The bottom line about this figure is that the headsculpt is lovely and the 4.0 body is a nice improvement on the older ones, but I don't know that the set is really worth the $100 or so that retailers are asking for it now.

But on to the pictures. Can always click through an image to get larger versions, or visit the full Flickr album for more. For those who follow such things, I've also created a dedicated Flickr account for 1/6 stuff to segregate it from my personal photostream, since I assume the people going there for action figures don't much care about photos of family and friends, and vice versa.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Packaging by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr
I like Phicen's latest packaging, which is a slim box with a pull-out tray that keeps the figure and all its accessories in a foam holder. It's compact and stylish, although it also highlights that not much comes with any given figure.

The label is a sticker, and I've seen photos of some boxes that mislabel it as "Fire White Rose." I suspect a printing error that was caught and corrected after the fact, but not before some boxes went out. Oddly, "Phicen" really doesn't seem to appear anywhere on the packaging.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Packaging by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Fire Red Rose in her foam tray, as she arrives. The figure is in a ziplock baggie, and her head has a plastic band keeping the hair in place, followed by a layer of bubble wrap, and then another smaller baggie.

Phicen Fire Red Rose by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Out of the box and chilling before the photo shoot. The Phicen 4.0 body is made of a silicone material that is much more flexible and feels much thinner than the older rubber material. It makes getting her into poses like this a little easier, although a little careful experimentation revealed that there is nothing that the Phicen 4.0 skeleton can do that the 3.0 can't. I suspect they're the same.

Fire Red Rose Portrait by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Close-up of the Fire Red Rose headsculpt. I think she looks pretty good, and pretty close to the prototype photos. Looking very very closely, you might tell that the head is slightly off from the body, but it's not too bad as you can see.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Accessory Bag by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Other than her revolver and the standard set of extra hands (left/right trigger hands, 1 flared right hand, and 1 "smoking" left), everything else she comes with arrives in a little baggie tucked in the corner of the packaging.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Hat by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

The hat comes stuffed with paper packing material.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Head Blu-tack by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Like the first release 4.0 figures, Phicen is including a small baggie of blu-tack to help you keep the split-seam head together. This really should have been an indicator that the head wasn't quite ready for prime time yet.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Extra Bra by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

The figure also comes with a strapless lace bra. It turns out that the lace bra just visible under her dress is actually a part of the dress, so if you remove the dress (and more on that later), you'll need this to keep a modicum of decency.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Extra Eyes by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Fire Red Rose comes with spare eyes to look left and right. It's a pretty well done feature, if not for the looseness of the split head design.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Split Head by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

When I pulled apart her head to swap out the eyes, I found that Phicen pre-applied some blu-tack to keep the head together, which is why it didn't fall apart as soon as I pulled the plastic hair band off. That and the macabre image of Fire Red Rose holding her own head up for a photo led to this.

The top and bottom pegs are part of the head. The center one is part of the eyes, and is a nice grabbable surface to pop out the eyes and replace them.

Phicen Fire Red Rose by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Fully dressed and toting her revolver. The lace gloves she comes with are pretty worthless, and came off as soon as I did my first hand swap. Honestly, the hat is pretty useless, too, since it doesn't fit well and the visible hat retaining band doesn't look too nice either. It's here to show it exists and why I ditched it almost immediately.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Revolver by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

No idea of the make or model that inspired the revolver, but it's a very nice piece. Details are well-sculpted; the cylinder is a little plain, but it seems to be a choice. The hammer can be cocked back and the cylinder swings out for loading.

Closer shot to show the revolver's swing-out cylinder and some of the detailing on the weapon.

The cylinder comes off the little peg. Not how the real guns work, but it's fairly common in 1/6 scale revolvers with moving parts.

Taking a shot. The 4.0 bodies have much better bunching on the arms, especially when raising them up, but you can still see the folds that can result with the figure if you look closely in this photo.

Also worth pointing out that the new 4.0 Phicen bodies come with newer hand sculpts that are made with softer plastic than the older ones. Not really better or worse than before, just different.

For comparison, I had Fire Red Rose go for two-fisted gun-fu by adding the revolver that came with the Hot Toys Abigail Whistler figure. It's definitely one of my favorite revolvers in 1/6 scale, and the Phicen compares pretty favorably. The finish of the Hot Toys revolver is shinier and the details are a little crisper, but the Phicen is still one of the nicer handguns they've made.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Revolver and MP7 by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Revolver and MP7 by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Swapping out the second revolver for the H&K MP7 that came with the TTL PMC Baby. The brown/black paint job matches her outfit, and you know how women just love to accessorize so their guns match their outfits. Or something.

Any pose you see photographed is done without stands or Photoshopping, unless I show you a behind-the-scenes shot. Since most of my shots are at 1/2 second or even higher, you should get an idea of how stable the figure is in the pose.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Dress Off by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

I didn't care much for Fire Red Rose's dress even in the prototype photos. Mostly, I wanted the headsculpt, the revolver, and the base body, and thought the rest was extra. The boots are pretty nice, but the dress is a fashion horror show. It's also nearly impossible to take off. I had to unstrap the 2 belts on the back, pop the head, pull the collar over the neck, roll both arms straight up, and then pull the dress until it could clear one armpit. I never felt closer to breaking a Phicen trying to remove an outfit, and I have no intention of trying to get it back on or put it on another figure. Also didn't think to get photos of the removal of the dress.

All of which is a long way of saying, "Here's Fire Red Rose in her underwear with her guns."

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Blacklight by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

I was hoping the blacklight would make al her lingerie glow, but for some reason the only part that did was the garters. Still like the shot, though.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - "Garter Belt" by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Close-up of the garter belt that comes with the figure. It's really just a piece of the black lace fabric sewn into a belt with 2 pieces of elastic stretching between the belt and the top of the stockings, all held in place by metal clips on the top and those little flower buttons on the bottom.

Full points for creativity, but it turned into another piece of the outfit I'm ultimately going to ditch.

Phicen Fire Red Rose - Posing by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Pretty sure this is not a very good posture to shoot from.

The rest of this shoot is going to appear in the "Mature" section shortly. Nothing you wouldn't see on broadcast TV a little past the kids' bedtime, but more doll skin than usual for the main forum.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.