One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kit-Bash Krazy!
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

This is my video review of the Hans Leiter boxed figure, along with my modifications to turn him into something a little more akin to what we're used to seeing today. It was a little experiment to take a budget figure and turn it into a 'premium' one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5pkzoQgROk

Hope you enjoy.

Steve.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Nice review, although I'm not sure the description of "budget figure" applies to this particular release....now, compare this tenth anniversary figure to the original Hans from 1999.....now THAT was a basic figure....although for 1999, it was "premium"......

Besides, DML's "budget figures" came in orange boxes......:wink

Have to remember to keep these figures in context for when they date back to......

·
Kit-Bash Krazy!
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice review, although I'm not sure the description of "budget figure" applies to this particular release....now, compare this tenth anniversary figure to the original Hans from 1999.....now THAT was a basic figure....although for 1999, it was "premium".....
Well, the way I see it, I paid £40 shipped for a brand new figure, compared to £100 for the average boxed military figure these days. By my definition, that makes it a budget figure, at more than half the price. Yes, perhaps I cheat a little as I happened to have a spare Soldier Story body... but selling the parts that I didn't use on eBay would further recoup some of the cost.

I wasn't into the hobby when these were first released, but price is relative isn't it? I'm sure these were considered expensive back then?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Fantastic review and even better upgrades, love what you've done, look forward to your next project.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Back then? The 10th anniversary Hans was released in 2009/2010......so if that's "back then", then I guess that's what it is.......

Anyway, you have fallen into the trap of comparing today's super detailed, very expensive figures with those older figures....they can't be fairly compared.....so just because you bought an older figure for half of what you pay for today's figures, that doesn't make the older figure a budget figure.....it wasn't in its own time.....

Plus, you live in the UK, where everything is way more expensive than it is here in N. America, so that plays into your perception as well......I'm just sayin', ya gotta think about your words carefully.....

What a profound statement that was......especially for my 4,000th post........:clap

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
At first, I'll admit that I was seized with melancholy (the background music), but I choked back the emotions, and manfully watched the transformation. I'll admit that I was hoping to see the "Hans Leiter" headsculpt cleaned and repainted. They are often quite nice, beneath the thick factory paint. Plus, I thought the sculptor produced a better sculpt, both in character, and the fall of the forelock.

Your appreciation of the details, enhanced by the weathering and distressing, do a good job of "selling" this figure. I consider this both a review of "Hans Leiter", and a nice bashup of a German NCO, and like both. That particular SS head sculpt, sheesh that guy has a bad attitude. I've always thought he had a case of redass from being chosen to be the EOD figure Soldier Story did. His MOS is among the baddest of the bad, but the uniform just wasn't as cool as the other soldiers and Marines SS did. He does make a mean, stony-faced NCO though, as you have done.

Well done to you, sir.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Wow, Impressive work!

Watched the video and loved it. You have shown what can be achieved with a quick body swap out and some skilful weathering and paint apps.

The figure looks stunning, just like a high end modern release. The Dragon figures still present great value for money as they can still be picked up at reasonable prices.

Thanks for the review.

Stu

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Attaboy.

The outcome is totally superior to the starting point (although it was nice).

You do nice work, man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts