One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this topic is too sensitive to some, and it is in no way intended to breach any rules here but I had to ask; while watching the Remembrance Day ceremonies here in Calgary today, my mind wandered to wondering what, if anything, is done by Germany (and the other "enemies") to remember their fallen in two world wars......after all, their fallen were sons and brothers and uncles too, and most were not unlike our fallen....they were fighting for their country, but they lost.....IMHO, that doesn't make their passing less significant......of course, WWII was instigated by the "evil" empire, but what about WWI? The combatants themselves were not "evil"......

·
Riverboat engineman
2,219 Posts
I think they have their remembrances but they are kept low key.
I know the U-boat memorial in Germany is well visited with flowers and all.
A DVD on the D-Day invasion was made with the German view of it, the soldiers who were there being human, suffer with what they saw to this day.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,970 Posts
I think they have their remembrances but they are kept low key.
I know the U-boat memorial in Germany is well visited with flowers and all.
A DVD on the D-Day invasion was made with the German view of it, the soldiers who were there being human, suffer with what they saw to this day.
--

I wonder though . . .

Do the Germans suffer more "guilt" than say . . . the Japanese and to a latter extent . . . the Italians when it comes to memorializing/remembering their country's servicemen during WW II?

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's an interesting point to ponder.....horrible things were done to all sides, by all sides.....at what point does the guilt, or responsibility, fade? Or does it ever fade away?

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
That's an interesting point to ponder.....horrible things were done to all sides, by all sides.....at what point does the guilt, or responsibility, fade? Or does it ever fade away?
If guilt or responsibility fade from sight, we've lost the human condition and, therefore, the fine line that puts us above wild animals.

Don't ever forget.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.
William Shakespeare

A valid notion, when it comes to we human beings. To let either be forgotten, is to put our futures in peril. How we react to both, that determines their true effect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts