One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I redid this sculpt about a year ago and posted pics in another thread. I decided he needed a scar as an update. That led to a repaint that backfired. Then another repaint ( three in all ) I am finally ready to say done. I plan on using this sculpt for a project that I am working on. Hopefully he will fit under the helmet I want to use.
I used a dremel both to remove the original hair, and to texture in the shaved head effects and beard detail. The scar came courtesy of a hot needle and some sanding.

Thank you for taking time to look. Any comments or questions would be greatly appreciated.

Here he is, carded with his pals, in all his untouched glory:

Here is redone redo:

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ray. Dremel with a big sanding drum bit for the removal, and a very tiny burred bit for the texture. The first redo ( last year ) had even burly-er hair effects. I sanded them down more this time out.

·
Divine Intervention!
3,026 Posts
It sure looks good Mike :thumb
In actual fact, that scratch on the face is not a case of slip handling that dremel tool is it? :lol
Either case, gave the sculpt some character, excellent all round!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
He looks a heck of alot better than he did coming out of the package Mike. Nice to know I'm not the only one that has to re-doit some of the time, well alot of the time, ok most of the time. But practice makes perfect. Great work as always and I ca'nt wait to see the helmet.
Paul

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the kind words. I noticed that the area below the chin looks like it is scared as well - I will have to incorporate that into the the scar.

Porkins73 Thank you Kenny - I was really frustrated with the first results surrounding the scar ( it just didn't look good - at all:lol ) I almost chucked the head. I am happy now looking back, that I held out and revamped the earlier work from last year.
lucas Thank you lucas:)
Warlordskeep Thank you Paul - I think we are all tinkerers by nature:lol I have a few tubs of bashes that I don't have room for on my shelves, and I have recently been looking at them with an eye toward upgrades. Although some are best kept as is.
Kuroi Thank you:) I guess he needed to retro'd:lol
gaiagear Thank you Leo - yep, this is for that bash. It has turned out to be harder than I had expected to find a head I thought fit the theme/feel of the bash. I hope this one works when I get it fitted in place.
coreblocksystem Thank you - I actually have another of this head that that happened with... I had to keep testing the plastic to feel if it felt thin, and I still went too deep with the removal. Some of the heads with really big hair might not work as well. DML SAS Chris comes to mind - although I still want to try some work on that sculpt.
migo11 Thank you Don - I hope the bash goes well as well.
WritinMan Thank you - even though most of the Dremel work was previously done and posted I thought it might be fun to repost the updated work and paint.
Iron Mike Thank you Mike. I agree - a good facial scar adds to the charecter of the figure. The old G.I. Joes were a testiment to that:)
kuato Thank you:) I am happy that the scar wasn't as over the top once I sanded the plastic down a bit.

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Boogieman said:
Pretty cool effect.I've been temtpted but your braver than me. That looks like a pretty fresh scar.Poor bastard.
Thank you. No doubt:lol - it looked even fresher before the sanding ( downright Tom Savini-esque ) I think the best bet would be to experiment with a more common or easily obtained sculpt ( even one of the early DML's - Leo for instance ) I want to try with DML SAS Chris... Great sculpt with big old hair - probably translate well to the clean cut military buzz=cut look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts