One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I’m new in the 1/6 hobby scale and I have a lot of hesitation with existing brands to start my collection. Therefore, here are my questions:
  • I would like to do some kitbash with modern military and start with dam toys, soldier story or easy & simple figurines. What are your opinions with these brands ?
  • There is also flagset but the quality does not seem good, what are your opinions?
  • Is there a difference between the sizes of the bodies and clothes between DAM Toys, Soldier Story or Easy & Simple? For example, are easy & simple or dam toys pants suitable for a soldier story figurine?
  • Same question with the headgear and footwear, what is the compatibility between these brands?
  • What is the best brand for guns?
  • What is the compatibility for headsculpts between these brands?

I'm sorry to bother you with these basic questions but I prefer to be sure before buying my first figures and start some project.

Thanks a lot for your answers :)

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,891 Posts
Let's see.

1. Welcome aboard to the 1:6 hobby.

2. You asked a number of fair and valid questions.

3. BEFORE some of us answer (or not) your basic questions . . . what have you found out on your on thus far?

4. Every collector have different preferences. What one collector considers the best is subjective compared to others. There is no "absolute".

5. My perspective is (for new collectors) to learn "the hard way" because that experience / learning curve stays with you.

Good luck.

Reactions: marmolskywalker

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome! Dam, SS and easy simple are all good choices. Flagset has much lower quality and I've had bad luck with them - my recent figure came without ankle pegs, for example. They're cheaper though.
With cross brand compatibility of clothes etc don't worry too much. Overall they do fit but not always and it's hard to say what will fit and what won't. Some have bigger heads and won't fit helmets, even within same brands.
There are some basic workarounds like padding out bodies to fit uniforms and so on, so it's trial and error.
With heads basically look for necked or unnecked. Mini times toys are massive and don't fit other brands but otherwise most heads should look more or less OK on other bodies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let's see.

1. Welcome aboard to the 1:6 hobby.

2. You asked a number of fair and valid questions.

3. BEFORE some of us answer (or not) your basic questions . . . what have you found out on your on thus far?

4. Every collector have different preferences. What one collector considers the best is subjective compared to others. There is no "absolute".

5. My perspective is (for new collectors) to learn "the hard way" because that experience / learning curve stays with you.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot for your answer and your help.

Regarding what I could find on my side (on this forum or on the internet), here are my observations :
  • DAM TOYS seems to be the best choice for bodies and uniforms and Soldier Story seems to the best choice for weapons. Easy&Simple seems to offer more variety in the equipment and the quality is a bit lower.
  • Flagset is interesting for themes but the quality seems to be very light compared to the others
  • The new versions of the bodies are today in the same proportions (especially for dam toys and easy and simple). We must therefore try to find recent uniforms adapted to new morphologies. Padding techniques seem to be good solutions to improve the appearance of the figure.
  • Concerning the heads and feet, it seems to be better to keep objects of the same brand of the body.
  • For the headsculpts, Soldier Story seem incompatible with any other brand, DAM TOYS and Easy&Simple seems to be compatible with some brands like HOT TOYS but needs modifications
Here are some details on my hesitations :
  • I’m thinking of choosing a DAM TOYS Body, like the 2.0 or the 3.0 (the most recent versions)
  • the uniforms and gear that interest me are from easy and simple or general armory (same brand)
  • some HOT TOYS neckless heads interest me to put them on DAM TOYS body
Best regards.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Don’t forget DiD for military stuff — they put out (mostly) consistently good stuff with a crap ton of accessories (They do, however, tend to stick to historical — or movie-based historical — figures and sets.

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,318 Posts
For weapons, I would say DT, SS and E&S are about the same. Maybe slight advantage to E&S because they mostly make weapons. Same with the clothes and gear. Your buying top brands, so you should have no problems. All other brands are par to subpar.

As far as bodies goes, you can't go wrong with DT. HT when they release the naked bodies usually sells out very quickly. I would stay away from the E&S bodies. Joints are pretty loose.

Oh I almost forgot...welcome to the forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts