One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Real rock rock wall

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  47lincsled 
#1 ·
I have some good friends that run a stone business,they take locally gathered stone and make benches and fireplace mantels and stuff like that,they always have a lot of oddball leftovers that I dig through for usable material for my dioramas,yesterday I was dropping something off for them and saw a pile of very thin stone sheets,I wasn't sure what I could do with it but that has never stopped me in the past,as I was working on another project the piece of stone was laying on my work bench,the more I looked at it the more I got to thinking it would make a nice stone wall,so I whipped out the angle grinder and ran the diamond blade down the long ways,then used a smaller diamond bit in a dremel for the short runs,used some Woodland Scenics "concrete" color to fill in the lines and make a foundation! It's a little short for a building wall but it does make a very believable stone wall,I'll have to take my ruler up next time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Solid ingenuity.

Who needs a ruler? Artistry divines the hand of humanity…

What a convenience it must be - friends in such an industry - what, with all that useful scrap for grabs...

And old Woodland Scenics brand, indeed.

Good show.

#3 ·
Thanks!
It was so much easier then pouring plaster then cutting the grooves then painting it to make it look like stone. These guys are much like me,they never throw anything away,so they have tons of scrap laying around,last spring I laid up about 300 square feet of rock around the water fall in my pool house,all from scrap they didn't have plans for but couldn't throw out!
And since I always over build my bench tops for my dioramas it will easily handle the extra weight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.