One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up SEALs in Vietnam by Eric Micheletti and looking through the pix, I saw a SEAL carrying what Micheletti described as a rare T233 assault rifle. My Internet searches come up with nada on this. I found several at world.guns.ru that look like it, but can't say for sure. Definitely nothing with that T233 name, however.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

·
I'm kind of a big deal
358 Posts
Read a discussion about this gun a while back . It is in fact an early version of the HK33. I was told that during vietnam these guns were imported by Harrington & Richhards and sold as the t223.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Read a discussion about this gun a while back . It is in fact an early version of the HK33. I was told that during vietnam these guns were imported by Harrington & Richhards and sold as the t223.
Okay, the HK 33 is one that I saw over at guns.world.ru that I suspected. Interesting there are no references I could find by that name... T233.

Thanks, Blake.

·
Duty First
1,119 Posts
I believe Blake is correct. I read a good article--it may have been in a book--about the use of the T223. They were either made under license or imported--I'm not sure which--by Harrington and Richardson in the sixties. They are basically 5.56 HK33's.

IIRC the few pics I've seen it in use by SEALs were stateside training exercises at Camp Niland or one of the other places where SEALs conducted pre-deployment training.

·
Time Lord Of Flatbush
5,918 Posts
D'oh ... Should not have edited my first post.

I got confused by the round looking foregrip in the picture.
Most of the G33's seemed to have more boxy foregrips.

Interesting info.
Guess thats why I stick to fiction customs. :O

·
"Load clear!"
206 Posts
JTFazz, I would recommend finding (if you can) a copy of the book Special Warfare Special Weapons, the Arms and Equipment of the UDT and SEALs from 1943 to the presentby Kevin Dockery

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
JTFazz, I would recommend finding (if you can) a copy of the book Special Warfare Special Weapons, the Arms and Equipment of the UDT and SEALs from 1943 to the presentby Kevin Dockery
Great book indeed. It contains pictures and data of knives, handguns, SMGs, rifles, and grenades used by the Seals.

AC,
There was talks of a follow-up on the heavier stuff (Stoner, M60 variations, &c.), Have you heard about that ?

Eric

·
"Load clear!"
206 Posts
Great book indeed. It contains pictures and data of knives, handguns, SMGs, rifles, and grenades used by the Seals.

AC,
There was talks of a follow-up on the heavier stuff (Stoner, M60 variations, &c.), Have you heard about that ?

Eric
Eric,
I asked the UDT/SEAL museum if they knew anything about the "follow-on" book and I don't think any one knows. It almost sounds like there might have been bad blood between the staff and Mr Dockery over the first book (speculation on my part). I wonder if Mr Dockery has his own web site.
Nearly made it out the house when I remembered this book. It might be Mr Dockery's all encompassing book on SEAL weapons, it's called Weapons of the Navy SEALs, published back in 04. Not as well illustrated as the other book but it does have its fair share of photographs (more text though).

Craig

·
Registered
548 Posts
The follow up book was titled, 'Rapid Fire Weapons of the US Navy SEALS' it was on pre-order at Amazon.com for ages then quietly got pulled. An associate who has some correspondence with Mr. Dockery claimed it *was* published - but I never followed it up.
His first weapons book is excellent - I wish someone would write that sort of book for the SAS.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Craig and filupe, thanks for the info.

His first weapons book is excellent - I wish someone would write that sort of book for the SAS.
Don't tell me that a book on SAS weapons doesn't exist ? I haven't bought a book on the SAS for a while, being somehow tired of "Encyclopedia of", "Fighting Skills of", "I married a ...", but there's certainly something on the subject among the score ?

Edit : looks like we always manage to turn those 1:1 threads off topic. Sorry for that, Ty.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Craig and filupe, thanks for the info.

Don't tell me that a book on SAS weapons doesn't exist ? I haven't bought a book on the SAS for a while, being somehow tired of "Encyclopedia of", "Fighting Skills of", "I married a ...", but there's certainly something on the subject among the score ?

Edit : looks like we always manage to turn those 1:1 threads off topic. Sorry for that, Ty.
No worries... my question was answered and I certainly enjoy the banter as long as its relevant.

:banana

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
if you check out weaponology : navy seals (replaying this sunday too) on military channel, i think they talked about using 7.62 ammo, so they used hk33 (plausible deniability). i think they just figrued, ak47 is robust and plentiful, and also provide deniability.

·
"Load clear!"
206 Posts
According to Dockery's book, the T223 use was a result of a US Army Small Arms Weapons Study (SAWS) back in 64-66 that pitted various make weapons against each other. The T223's 40 round magazine appealed to the SEALs even though the T223 was .9 lbs heavier than an empty M16E1.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.