One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
I like it a lot. :thumb The newer gear just begs to be made into a kit that has yet to be released.

Are they using H&K 416 now, or is that your own interpretation? I haven't seen any recent refs showing that they use them. I would love to see any ref pics you used in general, and with a 416 too.

I haven't tried one of these guys yet, as the more recent versions. I am still stuck on the version that Soldier Story gave us about 4 years ago. Love that one. Trying to make a small unit of them.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Given the nature of current uniforms and gear,as well as missions undertaken, It's interesting to see how different Rangers look now, but also how alike they look to other units they work with.

Clean, simple figure (within the parameters of all the modern kit), looks very good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments, guys. Really appreciate them.

Canuck, cdn_rhino, you guys are right. MK18 is far more common.

BrokenSage, the background is just a piece of paper with nice texture on it, nothing fancy. I like your style of photography better.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Thanks for the comments, guys. Really appreciate them.

Canuck, cdn_rhino, you guys are right. MK18 is far more common.

BrokenSage, the background is just a piece of paper with nice texture on it, nothing fancy. I like your style of photography better.
Darn. I was really hoping you had pics with the 416. Still like the look though, and not beyond the realm of possibility

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Very nice modern Ranger bash. :thumb

Doing my share of knit-picking, yes an MK-18 would be better than the HK416 and the left shoulder patch should be a Ranger unit patch with the Ranger and airborne tab over it. (The "triple canopy" array of patches on your other post denote persons that also passed Special Forces training and changed branch from Infantry to SF-extremely rare that such a person would serve again in the Rangers).

You can keep the right shoulder patch because it may represent a "combat patch" ie a former unit with which he participated in combat operations.

Or you can skip them both since Rangers seldom wear distinguishing insignia in modern combat ops :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks tigerstr for the great info. I'll keep that in mind for future kitbashes. Patches are the things that I find difficult to get right, and the right ones in 1:6 scale are hard to come by. They haven't been produced enough IMO. There are plenty for SEAL due to the popularity of the figures but not enough for other units. Hope that would change soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Darn. I was really hoping you had pics with the 416. Still like the look though, and not beyond the realm of possibility
The funny thing is that I'd have given it the MK18 but I had second thought about it. I reckon there must be at least one Ranger out there that is not using the MK18 and probably would prefer the HK416 instead. MK18 always looks a bit sci-fi to me. I used a MK17 on my GI JOE kitbash for that reason.

I thought being the special force elite soldier he'd be allowed to choose what to use and customize it to his own spec much like that for SEAL. So I decided to deviate from the known standard and venture a bit by giving my kitbash the HK416 knowing it might not be accurate at all. Perhaps I'll use the MK18 next time.

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Thanks tigerstr for the great info. I'll keep that in mind for future kitbashes. Patches are the things that I find difficult to get right, and the right ones in 1:6 scale are hard to come by. They haven't been produced enough IMO. There are plenty for SEAL due to the popularity of the figures but not enough for other units. Hope that would change soon.
You are welcom bro. You can find ready made patches in onesixthscaleking.com and patchesofpride.com

Here are some examples for the Rangers:

ONE SIXTH SCALE KING! 1:6 Scale Enthusiast Store Cigarettes Rations food items

PATCHES OF PRIDE - 1/6th scale Army Ranger Patches

If you decide to buy one for your Ranger it should be a subdued "scroll" like this

Battalion scroll patch

Now regarding that HK416 issue. HK416s are used by CAG/DELTA and DEVGRU. For some time between 2007 and 2008/9 they were also used by some SF groups (most probsably for their CIF/CRF companies) and by the Asymmetric Warfare Group.

Then a general order came to give them back and replace them with M4 derivatives, because of some political pressure having to do with if the M4 was or was not good enough for US troops.

Most units fought back but allegedly lost the fight. Except the Tier-1 SMUs (DELTA/DEVGRU), because of their special charter.

In all there is no mention/source for HK416s used by the Rangers I have ever seen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts