One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Actor Martin Landau, best known for his roles on the TV series Mission: Impossible and Space: 1999, and in the movies Ed Wood and Crimes and Misdemeanors, has passed away at the age of 89. He won both the Golden Globe and the Oscar for his role in Ed Wood, in which he played real-life faded film star, Bela Lugosi. Obituary from the New York Times here: Martin Landau, Actor Who Won an Oscar for 'Ed Wood,' Dies at 89 - The New York Times

I met him once, at a Chiller Theatre convention in New Jersey, where I had two opportunities to talk with him. He was very gracious and a real gentleman, at least to this fan.

He was a fine actor, and he will be missed. Rest in peace, Mr. Landau.

David

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
A great actor, and an all round fine human being from all reports...

Requiscat in Pacem Mr. Landau and condolances to his family!

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
He was asked by Roddenberry to play Spock on the original Star Trek, but he turned it down....
He turned down the role of Spock because he thought a character who talks in a monotone voice & consciously suppresses
his emotions all the time would be too difficult for him to convincingly play.

But he recommended his mate Leonard Nimoy and the rest is history. Even in more recent years, he said he never regretted turning down
the role as Spock - he reckoned he just wouldn't have been able to pull it off the way Nimoy did.

·
God Bless America
1,529 Posts
I remember him from "Mission: Impossible", "Nevada Smith" and twins in a "Columbo."
Excellent actor and one that can never be replaced.

RIP, Mr. Landau.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.