One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
You know, I think it says something about this man's life that when I read of his passing a few minutes ago, it sort of knocked the wind out of me. James Garner was one of those constants in my life, always around in films and on TV. An Oklahoman, he was a Korean War veteran, and a man concerned with doing the right thing. Most of all, he was just plain likeable.

The list of memorable characters James Garner portrayed is topped for me by his portrayal of Wyatt Earp. Not so much his role in Hour of the Gun, which was quite good, but in the film Sunset. He played an older Earp, alive in more modern times, now a somewhat passed by legend.

James Garner had dignity and integrity, in whatever circumstance. We have lost a fine man and an actor the likes of whom we do not see much any more.

·
YES I Know My Team Sucks
965 Posts
"Rockford Files" was an awesome show..........I loved him in my all time favorite film "Grand Prix"........... Good bye Mr. Garner, you will be missed...

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
RIP Mr. James Garner...you will be missed.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
You know, I think it says something about this man's life that when I read of his passing a few minutes ago, it sort of knocked the wind out of me. James Garner was one of those constants in my life, always around in films and on TV. An Oklahoman, he was a Korean War veteran, and a man concerned with doing the right thing. Most of all, he was just plain likeable. The list of memorable characters James Garner portrayed is topped for me by his portrayal of Wyatt Earp. Not so much his role in Hour of the Gun, which was quite good, but in the film Sunset. He played an older Earp, alive in more modern times, now a somewhat passed by legend. James Garner had dignity and integrity, in whatever circumstance. We have lost a fine man and an actor the likes of whom we do not see much any more.
Mike, you took the words right out of my mouth...if I had to say anything, it would be what you said.

He was a gentleman's gentlemen and will be missed...there is no replacement for him!

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,822 Posts
My father is bummed about Garner's passing. He was one of my father's favorite old school actors.

Garner definitely had the respect due to the variety of roles he played during his fine career on film and television and received a fair amount of acclaim, but I feel he should have deserved more acclaim than acknowledged/received.

His portrayal of an older Wyatt Earp in Sunset is one of my favorite as well as his role in Victor/Victoria.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two of my favorite movies that he starred in are Support Your Local Sheriff and its semi-sequel Support Your Local Gunfighter. In both of them he perfectly displays the easy-going style for which he was famous.

David

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
A true icon to be looked up to....if only the "stars" of today had half as much integrity......

R.I.P. James Garner....go straight to the Pearly Gates, front of the line!

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
We lost two good ones last week.

James Garner has always been one of my favorites. His portrayal in Space Cowboys was priceless.

A fine actor, and by all accounts I can find, a fine man.

We also lost Johnny Winter late last week.

There were damn few guitarists that knew the instrument like him. I believe there's a lot of truth to the saying that "he's forgotten more about playing guitar than most guitarists will ever know."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts