One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Plastic Yank
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it unheard of for U.S. Army soldiers wearing chest rigs to have other gear attached to the PALS webbing above said chest rig? I ask because I did something of the sort on a kitbash I'm working on and I like how it looks, but the question of how practical such an arrangement would be in real life bothers me.

·
Unabashed 5.11 Junky
3,866 Posts
Jester said:
Is it unheard of for U.S. Army soldiers wearing chest rigs to have other gear attached to the PALS webbing above said chest rig? I ask because I did something of the sort on a kitbash I'm working on and I like how it looks, but the question of how practical such an arrangement would be in real life bothers me.
I don't have anything photographic to back it up right away, but I don't see any reason why you wouldn't attach gear to any PALS/MOLLE real estate you've got. Can't wait to see the figure.

·
Plastic Yank
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pivot said:
I don't have anything photographic to back it up right away, but I don't see any reason why you wouldn't attach gear to any PALS/MOLLE real estate you've got. Can't wait to see the figure.
Ah, okay. As for the figure, it's the team leader for the ACU fireteam I've been working on, just to give you an idea. I'll see if I can take some pictures of him (and the grenadier) sometime this week, as I figure they're pretty much completed, barring unforeseen issues cropping up.

Eklyps said:
What type of stuff are you wanting to put there?

Greg
The multi-tool pouch from the Hot Toys MEU.

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
It's feasible.

I have seen RANGERS wearinf the RACK with the bib folded down.And other gear attached directly to the SPEAR BAS.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You can do it. Based on soldier interviews I've done its not uncommon. Most of the time its stuff the soldier wants to have on him all the time (flashlight, tool, aid kit) but it could be anything to include a holster, knife etc. Soldier's have a lot of leeway in setting up their gear. The key factors are function and comfort.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I agree with Will on the above. Stuff like Surefire flashlights, and Multitools should be good to go.

I've noticed a few of the manufacturers who made those "straight across" rigs as I call them (SO Tech's Hellcat and Tactical Tailor's MAV) have come up with seconday bibs to carry additional gear on them (like pistol mag pouches, strobe pouchs, admin pouches, etc), so that may be an option (if that is what your rig is like). However, if it's like a HSG Warlord or the like, then you're pretty much sticking gear in PALS slots.

Hope this helps.

Greg

·
Plastic Yank
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CorranJ said:
It's feasible.

I have seen RANGERS wearinf the RACK with the bib folded down.And other gear attached directly to the SPEAR BAS.
Good to know, thanks.

major.rod said:
You can do it. Based on soldier interviews I've done its not uncommon. Most of the time its stuff the soldier wants to have on him all the time (flashlight, tool, aid kit) but it could be anything to include a holster, knife etc. Soldier's have a lot of leeway in setting up their gear. The key factors are function and comfort.
That's interesting. Thanks for the info. :thumb

Eklyps said:
I agree with Will on the above. Stuff like Surefire flashlights, and Multitools should be good to go.

I've noticed a few of the manufacturers who made those "straight across" rigs as I call them (SO Tech's Hellcat and Tactical Tailor's MAV) have come up with seconday bibs to carry additional gear on them (like pistol mag pouches, strobe pouchs, admin pouches, etc), so that may be an option (if that is what your rig is like). However, if it's like a HSG Warlord or the like, then you're pretty much sticking gear in PALS slots.
I'm using the rig that came with the TS ACU set with the ACU pattern knee pads. I'm not really sure what it's called.

BTW, can anyone tell me what the two smaller pouches at either end are for? I'm currently using them to hold a radio and a GPS, but I'm curious as to whether they have a specific purpose like the mag pouches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts