One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
when do i grow up?
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to strip the paint off headsculpts and weapons?

How do you get the realistic 'hang' on uniforms?

Paint brush or airbrush? pros/cons

Tips for repainting weapons?

Tips for repainting headsculpts, especially eyes?

Does dullcote need to be applied to everything?

For recoloring webgear/pouches is it easier to paint or dye?

Any products/tools you recommend?

hopefully this thread can be stickied and used as a resource for those like me who are taking 1/6 to the next step. thank you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow lots of questions.... what paints and brusches to use depends on your cash and personal prefrence.
All paint lines have pros and cons.. for striping depends what they are pained with and what they are made of.
There are lots of vids on youtube that explain how to do it. Dying also depends... and is hit and miss depending
on what they are made of...

Sorry but to answer all you questions one could write books!

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Only to surfaces that you want to have a dull/matt finish.......

Apply Glosscote to surfaces you want to be glossy/shiny....(eyeballs, etc.)

Paint (acrylic) will likely be better.....depending on the original color and the type of fabric/cloth, dyes cannot be used to make the exact color you're after....or they won't work at all.......

·
The Force user
600 Posts
yes, lots of questions!

I'm no expert, but here are some tips:

-To get a realistic hang in uniform, first undress your figure. Moisten the uniform with clean water, squeezing gently and place the uniform still wet in the figure, modeling wrinkles. When clothes dry, will have a more natural and realistic fall.

-The airbrush will allow you more smooth and professional finish.

-There is spray paint suitable for grills and surfaces exposed to high temperatures, this painting provides a unique matt black (on rifles looks great!)

I hope these tips will be useful.

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,540 Posts
Bugger me, not asking much then! I believe there are already stickies dedicated to all your questions in the tips and techniques part of the forum, although I could be wrong. I hope this helps. (not taking the piss honestly, they are there).

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
Not that I consider myself an expert, but I am happy to share a few things that I have learned along the way...

Though I can't speak for headsculpts, I generally do not bother to strip the paint off weapons before repainting them. I just paint straight over the existing paintjob, typically giving it a hit of primer first.

I have not invested in an airbrush yet (though I will do so before too much longer). Until such time as I do get my hands on one, I will continue to paint my weapons with rattle-can aerosol spraypaint to produce a nice smooth finish. I then handpaint in any details and touch up any areas needing it with a fine brush and steady hand.

See above.

No: you only apply it to those parts which you want to give a matt finish to. As has already been suggested, if you want a gloss finish, give it a hit of clearcote. I would generally recommend using one or the other (depending on your personal preference) to protect the paintwork and/or weathering that you have applied.

While neither products or tools, you can't go without some creativity, a sense of humour (for when things invariably go wrong), patience, a keen eye, and a steady hand.

·
super hot outside
4,362 Posts
I'm not an expert but from what I can gather (sometimes tried myself) from hanging around osw all this time...

You can use acetone to strip paint off head sculpts though I personally never tried it. It can be a bit harsh on the head material though.
I don't strip paint off weapons, usually just spray primer and then paint on top of it. Use high grit sandpaper on parts where you think there's too much paint buildup.

How do you get the realistic 'hang' on uniforms?
Use form fitting uniforms, and the same brand on both nude and the uniform because the manufacturer tailored the uniform based on their own nude. Also, you can dip your fully clothed figure in water and then pose it sitting with arms fully bent. Let it air dry and you usually will get a realistic hang.

Airbrush for base color, paint brush for patterns. Airbrush = expensive but with even, factory quality paint results.

Learn how to drybrush and weather, there should be a lot of tips here (hey osw got their own tips and tricks section) or if you're a total noob, from modelling sites esp. 1/35 military modelling.

Tips for repainting headsculpts, especially eyes?
Learn magic :lol this is still a mystery to me.

Depends on your liking but things in real life usually look dull so yeah.

I'd say dye. Tried painting (actually airbrushing) once and I think it's better suited for custom camo patterns that you sometimes see the Seals used in real life.

Products: Seems to me DAM is the best in 1/6 military and non-licensed items while HT is the best in 1/6 licensed items.
Tools: Invest in good tweezers and needles. Oh, and black sticky tack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts