One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an idea for along time but I've never had the cash to see it through. So I was wondering if anyone else would have a use for this idea.
What if some company with a little imagination made a spur of 1/6th scale body joints. This could be used to upgrade older action figure bodies. Also it could be used as a repair kit. I'm thinking ball socket ankles, double jointed elbows and knees, multi jointed shoulders, universal wrist pins with inserts that could be glued into forearms and a universal neck post system.
Would this interest anyone else or am I the only one that would find a use for such a product?

Paul

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
Cot's did that for the classic GI Joe years back. I think Volk's did it too but also just applicable to the Volk's figures. I think it would be a good idea to offer universal body parts, especially if it saves the customizer time. It is perhaps a little difficult to accomplish with the variety of dissimilar or incompatible bodies. I'm not sure if a truely universal body part can be achieved that doesn't require drastic surgery to attach, which would defeat the purpose. Heads and hands seem to be the likeliest candidates. There are tons of custom head sculptors/producers around. One company offers gloved hands with posts adaptable for bbi or HT wrists sockets, sorry I don't recall the name. I imagine bare hands could be done the same way. All in all I think you have a good idea just not sure if it would work in a universal way. Manufacturer specific body parts on the other hand would probably be no problem.

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
I have anther idea for manufacturers.

How about producing 'bald' HS and have different hair styles (either plastic or even real) in the form of a close fitting 'hat', so you can swap around hairstyles on the same HS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hadn't thought of joint's, but I'd like to develop hands that will 'hide' wrist joint without loosing flexability.

The bald head idea with 'interchangable' hair has been on my list for while, still working at it.

I've also thought about a 'sleeve' tocover elbow and knee joint's, but not much more than a thought so far.

Pilgrim

·
Super Moderator
9,154 Posts
Might be worth looking into, but some interesting points were brought up above.

Similarly (speaking to the topic of body parts), I'd like to see someone explore the idea of custom boot/feet molded in another shape other than the typical "L" shape (even though any other position may limit the scope of its useful application). It would be a niche market dealing with edge cases though.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well what I'm saying is that there are so many older bodies around now that we really don't need more arms, legs, torso's, etc... Just better ways to put them together. with a jointing spur you could upgrade by setting the joint up with an inside the part sleeve. So the joints could be pulled out and replaced. Or in the case of a smooth knee, elbow or wrist the whole joint could be pulled out and replaced.
With the same idea you could buy a spur that had shorter or longer legs and arms ( if you don't shorten the arms when you shorten the legs it gives the figure an ape arm look). Or go one step more and make a custom spur. One that came with say a peg leg or cyborg arms etc...
There are a lot of possibilities with a system like this.
Anyways just an idea that's been floating around my head for awhile. It does make an interesting thread for thought.

Paul

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FET if I had already designed the concept I wouldn't be posting it as a thread. I'd be looking for backers to fund the project.
I'm not well known female action figure company. wink wink nudge nudge. And to be honest it's not an original idea. Obitsu has been doing basically the same thing with their 27&60cm dolls for years.

Paul

·
Running from explosions
2,315 Posts
Might be worth looking into, but some interesting points were brought up above.

Similarly (speaking to the topic of body parts), I'd like to see someone explore the idea of custom boot/feet molded in another shape other than the typical "L" shape (even though any other position may limit the scope of its useful application). It would be a niche market dealing with edge cases though.
I had the same thought for a foot that is bent back when kneeling on one knee. Or they could be boots molded like that to take advantage of newer feet that bend in the middle.

I would like to see nicely painted bare hands, or maybe painted to look dirty. I'd also like to see manufacturers doing lifelike paint on the arms. So much work is done on the head, but the arms get shown a lot, too. Nother ruins a good figure more than shiny plastic arms.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Might be costly though.

You could mod any older figure, or previously unposable figure, up to newer standards. Granted newer bodies have really good articulation now but what about those who have old Joes or 21c for example who would like to have better articulation. Yes it would be a lot of work modding joints, but it depends on the subject being modded too. Would the joints include a "how to" tutorial to mod, for example a DML Adam to equivelant to Neo 3 or better? Or BBI v1, GIJoe, etc...

The hair 'hat' is good too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Back in the day, when Legos were just building blocks and not pre-engineered sets to build a certain finite number of specialty items, and before the figures were tee-ninetsey lil things, Lego people were basically spherical heads mounted on square four-dotters with articulated arms. You built the bodies on that.

Anyway, those heads came with snap-on/off hair dos, hats, etc.

Not a new idea, but it is for 1/6. Could be a great idea, even. Worth looking into.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The hair hat idea isn't exactly new to 1/6th figures either.Louie has been talking about the EVO/EVA's having moving eyes and different hair pieces for a long time.As far back as I can remember having talked to him about them .

·
In case of emergency....
1,997 Posts
I have anther idea for manufacturers.

How about producing 'bald' HS and have different hair styles (either plastic or even real) in the form of a close fitting 'hat', so you can swap around hairstyles on the same HS.
Obitsu did something like that a few years ago with their "Normal" male bald head. I don't think it caught on that time because most of Obitsu's female fans seem to prefer the "bishi" Slim Male with rooted hair heads. I think it is a good idea though and might be better suited to the market this board caters to.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The hair hat idea isn't exactly new to 1/6th figures either.Louie has been talking about the EVO/EVA's having moving eyes and different hair pieces for a long time.As far back as I can remember having talked to him about them .
Louie didn't come up with that idea either. Obitsu already makes an eye hole head. I have some of their eyes and have seen them used with Cy girls heads. For that much Hasbro did the moving eye thing 30+ years ago.
There are a few wig companies that make 1/6th scale wigs for female BJD's. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to do the same thing with guys. They would look kinda like the DID real hair heads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts