One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - this may be THE most bizarre question ever asked on this forum:

If anybody out there has Dragon's SOLDAT 001 (Peter Schmidt), would you mind sharing the contents of the "letter" that came with the kit (and/or a blowup of the actual "letter" itself)? And also the contents of his Soldbuch?

(Hey, what can I say? I've been on vacation for the last week, and things have been kinda slow, so that got the mind wondering . . . )

Anyway, if anybody can answer this question, you definitely win the gold star in concierge service! Thanks!!

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
C'mon crusader1xxx, open that box up and get us a close-in photo of those documents! :lol
Plus, it's not worth that much anyhow.......

The set ain't gonna depreciate in value just by opening the flap......

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,934 Posts
PSST . . .

It's a "Dear John . . . ER . . . Peter" letter.

;) :p

·
12,934 Posts
C'mon crusader1xxx, open that box up and get us a close-in photo of those documents! :lol

The set ain't gonna depreciate in value just by opening the flap......
--

Yes it will.

:p

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Not enough to ruin any retirement plans.......:wink

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Do you know how hard it is to do just "this one little thing"..

I have to get the box down from the shelf..

I have to get my camera

I have to take a good enough picture...

I have to log on to photobucket and download the pictures

I have to log on to OSW, find this thread and ...oh good grief..here you go...

·
12,934 Posts
Do you know how hard it is to do just "this one little thing"..

I have to get the box down from the shelf..

I have to get my camera

I have to take a good enough picture...

I have to log on to photobucket and download the pictures

I have to log on to OSW, find this thread and ...oh good grief..here you go...

--

You left out translating the letter.

;) :p

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Thanks crusader1xxx ! Anything for the hobby!

See, it wasn't that hard now, was it? :D

·
Switched to Lurking...
693 Posts
Ummm... I think I have that floating around upstairs some where in the man cave all by it's lonesome. Just the letter I mean. I no longer have any interest in it. When I happen to pick it up, it's looked upon as an odd little aside. I will have to recon, pull my hair out because I won't be able to find it, and get back to you. You're welcome to it, If I can find it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! Thanks guys!!! I never really thought that anyone would answer my query- which just goes to show that once again, this is THE forums of forums for all things 1/6!!

Thanks especially to Crusader1xxx. I appreciate the pic-

And not to sound ungrateful or anything, but my ole' eyeballs ain't quite what they used to be- I can make out most but not all of the letter. So Firefox, if you're still game, I'd like to take you up on your offer.

Also, does anybody have his Soldbuch? Are there any close up pics or translations, etc. we could see of that?

Thanks, again, guys--you all Rock!

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
djames

If you double click the picture it will take you to photobucket were again you can enlarge the picture to poster size...It was taken at full size 16 magepixles...

so it can be as big as you like....

Andy

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Crusader, I'll give that a shot-

Right now, I'm working off an ipad, so that might be the problem-

If I can read and translate the letter, I'll report it back here- so far, I've only got "My Darling Peter" . . .

·
Switched to Lurking...
693 Posts
Wow! Thanks guys!!! I never really thought that anyone would answer my query- which just goes to show that once again, this is THE forums of forums for all things 1/6!!

Thanks especially to Crusader1xxx. I appreciate the pic-

And not to sound ungrateful or anything, but my ole' eyeballs ain't quite what they used to be- I can make out most but not all of the letter. So Firefox, if you're still game, I'd like to take you up on your offer.

Also, does anybody have his Soldbuch? Are there any close up pics or translations, etc. we could see of that?

Thanks, again, guys--you all Rock!
Well, I've knocked my head against the wall and only found the photo. I've also found a Soldbuch, but not sure if it's the one you're after. It's tan with a black ink cover, Wehrmacht eagle, and blue edge on the spine. You are welcome to have these items gratis if you want them. PM me, let me know.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
OK, I know that it's been forever, but I finally took the time to take a stab at translating this "letter". Turns out it's not really a "Dear John (Peter)" letter, but a pretty conventional letter from home.

So, with apologies to Google Translate (as
well as to anyone German), here's my translation:

"Peter my dearest,

"Hasn't it been so long since we have seen each other? Sometimes I think it seems like years, but also sometimes it seems like just a moment since we were together last. You looked so tall and handsome in your uniform. I'm afraid that my tears were hardly a suitable companion for your bravery.
"The situation here in our Fleimastadt[?] is tense, but we hold out. I read the newspaper and listen to the radio every day and hope to hear good news. I visited your mother yesterday, and we enjoyed a meal of your favorite schnitzel with onions and cake. We miss you terribly, Peter, so write a letter soon. Of course I miss you and wait, every day, and check the Post for news from you.

"Now, I know how important it is for you to do your duty, and I will wait for you forever if necessary. There is no other for me except my Peter, you know, so please stay safe and come back to me soon."

"Trudi"

. . . So, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! If anybody else wants to give a shot at translating this, an enlarged copy of the letter is here:

http://s164.photobucket.com/user/cr...pg.html?&_suid=138912748348300083222134047794

Special thanks to crusader1xxx for the photograph of the letter, and thanks also to FireFox1435!

djamesi

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Figured as much...... "Dear John" letters usually don't include a photo of the sender.......a "Dear John" letter would have been written to him so he could forget her, not remember her.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.