One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's another question for all you WWII US Airborne experts out there:

Based on his weapons and equipment, is DID's Edward Stiner (82nd Airborne) more likely to be an officer or enlisted man?

This figure came out after DID's 101st AB "Albert Ross" (who was given the rank of 1st lt), and while DID usually gives their figures rank insignia, in this case they didn't.

I was thinking that based on the weapons that came with the figure (grease gun and carbine), he could be an officer, but I defer to the experts on this one.

If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd be interested in hearing them. Thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
The weapons, that came with this figure, were used by enlisted men and NCO´s. But the M1A1 Carbine was used by officers as well. Asking me...Stiner is the base for a normal soldier or NCO.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hallo!

IMHO.. tis complicated.

We can be heavily influenced by Hollywood and TV, to where Army or Marine enlistedmen almost always have M1 Garands, sergeants Thompson SMG's, and company officers M1 Carbines.

:)

A good way to look at "theory" if not actual front-line practice is to look at the TOE's (Table of Organization and Equipment) that list the ideal or paper division of men, equipment, and firearms.

In brief and to over generalize, IMHO...

The M1 Carbine was originally intended for tankers, vehicle crews, crew served weapons like machine guns and mortars, dog handlers, and company or platoon officers because it was lighter and more compact- and issues with hitting power, range, and penetration were not as critical as more close-in self defense. (And of course the M1A1 folding stock carbine intended for airborne units)

Which also carried over into squad leaders, sergeants, whose main job is directing riflemen but who still needed a more close range "personal defense" weapon like the Thompson, Reising or M3 Grease Gun (sub machine guns of pistol calibre).

AS infantry tactics changed or were seen as changing due to such things as the German "blitzkrieg" and MP40's... thinking slowly changed to a lighter weapon for front line infantry to replace the heavy and "long" M1 Garand rifle. BUT, and a big but, increased production and availability kept enlisted numbers somewhat low and "more" to the TOT vision (of course, with exceptions say such as Marine Raiders, etc.). Look at M1 Carbine type production in 1941 say 1945 which eclipsed everything else...)

And last but not least, is the more fuzzier or foggy realm of access and personal choice at times. Such as, IIRC, then Lt, and Captain Dick Winters preferred the M1 Garand...

I suppose if one is being "generic," or not working off of an actually WWII photograph of a carbine or SMG armed enlistedman.. than the "classic' Hollywood/TV vision/version of enlisted men with M1 Garand rifles only.

Others' mileage will vary...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great background info- thanks Kurt-Heinrich1917!!

Any other comments and opinions are welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts