One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted to try my hand at making clothing on 1/6th scale but was wondering how the process would go as I would possibly envision myself making something like the terminators leather coat and pants sans the damage, or a leather trench coat. Something like that perhaps..

So besides the clothing, needle etc, what would I need to get started ?

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
You might want to invest in a cutting pad (maybe one of the types with grids on them), several types of quality scissors and cutting knife. You could get pattern paper, and make the patterns first (cheaper trial and error fitting), or some reverse engineer from existing pieces - disassembling the clothing, and using the pieces for patterns. The sewing's the thing, particularly learning to make seams that are smooth.
If anyone you know sews, see if they can teach you something, or you might look at local classes (Ju-Cos, hobby outlets, libraries...). Otherwise, it's the tried and true "learn as you go" system.

·
Frick 'n' Frack
348 Posts
I've back engineered some items. The two main concerns I found are. You need to choose the correct fabric. If it does not lie well on the figure then what is the worth of the effort. The next is sewing. I have an aunt who sews so a little stroking and praise gets me some fine results. A guy going to the fabric stores brings some looks... but I like shopping at thrift stores and garage sales. You can find some incredibly unique and usefull fabric in old shirts and blouses. Happy hunting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts